Class of 2021 Status

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Date OptomCAS submitted: 14 October (PUCO, UHCO, Mid AZ, WesternU) 18 October (UIWRSO)
Date verified: 14 October
OAT Scores: 320 (AA) 320 (TS)
Major: Biology (Neurobiology)
GPA: 3.317
Extracurricular Activities: Shadowed 50+ hours with one doctor around 10 with various others. I interned then worked at a private optometry office, ended up lasting around 9 months (Internship ~12hr/wk, employment ~32hr/wk). Neurobiology Teaching Assistant 2.5 years. Anatomy Teaching Assistant 2 years (half was volunteer). 3 years Research Team Lead (Neuroregeneration in Parkinson's through steroids). All this plus school (at least 3/4 time) with a wife and kid.
Schools applied: PUCO, UHCO, Midwestern AZ, UIWRSO
Interviews extended/date: UIWRSO (19 October), UHCO (20 October), Midwestern AZ (21 October), PUCO (27 October)
Interviews accepted: UHCO (14 November), UIWRSO (18 November), PUCO (2 December), Midwestern AZ (16 December)
Interviews declined: Maybe Midwestern and PUCO
Rejections/date: ....
Acceptance/date: UHCO (18 November)

Waiting on RSO to make final choice.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Date OptomCAS submitted: 8/25/16
Date verified: 9/02/16
OAT Scores: 330 TS / 320 AA
Major: Biology (applying w/o bachelors though)
GPA: 3.71 overall and 3.66 science
Schools applied: PCO & ICO
Interviews extended/date: PCO (9/7), ICO (9/19)
Interviews accepted: PCO (10/14), ICO (9/30)
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: ICO (10/7), PCO (10/19)

attending ICO!!:soexcited::smuggrin:

See you there!! :D

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Date OptomCAS submitted: 10/20/16
Date verified: 10/21/16
OAT Scores: 370 TS / 360 AA
Major: Psychology
GPA: 3.51
Schools applied: Salus, ICO, UHCO, IUSO
Interviews extended/date: Salus (10/25), IUSO (Admissions Day invitation 10/25)
Interviews accepted: Salus, IUSO (cancelled)
Interviews declined: --
Acceptance/date: Salus!!!!! (11/3)

Attending Salus :)

Reactions: 1 users
I'm def gonna be the worst one lol

Date OptomCAS submitted:
09/08
Date verified: 09/15
OAT Scores: 280/290
Major: Bio
GPA:
2.8 science, 3.2 overall
Extracurricular Activities: basic stuff like club e-board, i shadowed an optometrist for a couple of hours, history working at a non-profit so i sort of spun that to show how much i love people
Schools applied: ICO, Salus, Pikeville, NOVA, NECO, Midwestern, MCPHS
Interviews extended/date: MCPHS (10/27) Pikeville (11/28)
Interviews accepted: MCPHS (11/03)
Interviews declined: Pikeville (11/28)
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
MCPHS (11/16)

I get that I wasn't getting interviews because my OAT scores were not very good but the whole process was so expensive and arduous that I'll take what I can get at this point.
MCPHS was already my first choice, though. I really identify with their underdog vibe.

Believe.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I'm def gonna be the worst one lol

Date OptomCAS submitted:
09/08
Date verified: 09/15
OAT Scores: 280/290
GPA:
2.8 science, 3.2 overall
Extracurricular Activities: basic stuff like club e-board, i shadowed an optometrist for a couple of hours, history working at a non-profit so i sort of spun that to show how much i love people
Schools applied: ICO, Salus, Pikeville, NOVA, NECO, Midwestern, MCPHS
Interviews extended/date: MCPHS (10/27)
Interviews accepted: MCPHS (11/03)
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
MCPHS (11/16)

I get that I wasn't getting interviews because my OAT scores were not very good but the whole process was so expensive and arduous that I'll take what I can get at this point.
MCPHS was already my first choice, though. I really identify with their underdog vibe.

Believe.

Congrats on MCPHS!!
I just had an interview there on 11/5 and I'm still waiting to hear back from them. I was wondering did you get a hardcopy in the mail, an email, or a phone call? I've been checking everything like a maniac and starting to get a little worried since its almost been 2 weeks since my interview.
And also, do you know if they tell you anything if they reject you? lol

Congrats on MCPHS!!
I just had an interview there on 11/5 and I'm still waiting to hear back from them. I was wondering did you get a hardcopy in the mail, an email, or a phone call? I've been checking everything like a maniac and starting to get a little worried since its almost been 2 weeks since my interview.

Thank you.
During the presentation, we were told to expect both something in the mail AND an e-mail if we get accepted but only an e-mail if we're rejected.
I also had to wait something like two weeks (election, maybe?) but the acceptance letter eventually came in the mail (no e-mail as of yet).
Keep checking your mailbox and good luck!!

Date OptomCAS submitted: 10/27
Date verified: 10/27
OAT Scores: AA 310 TS 300
Major: Biology
GPA: 3.19
Schools applied: NSUOCO, UIWRSO, AZCOPT
Interviews extended/date: 11/2 NSUOCO, 12/7 AZCOPT
Interviews accepted: 11/21 NSUOCO
Interviews declined: AZCOPT
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: 11/22 NSUOCO

Last edited:
Date OptomCAS submitted: 10/27
Date verified: 10/27
OAT Scores: AA 310 TS 300
GPA: 3.19
Schools applied: NSUOCO, UIWRSO, AZCOPT
Interviews extended/date: 11/2 NSUOCO
Interviews accepted: 11/21 NSUOCO
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: 11/22 NSUOCO

Congrats on NSUOCO!! Look forward to seeing you next year!

I remember sitting in my dorm reading these dreaming of the day I can write my own!! upload_2016-11-26_15-10-40.png

Date OptomCAS submitted: 9/12/16
Date verified: 9/12/16
OAT Scores: AA 300 TS 280
GPA: 3.02
Extracurricular Activities: Full time optometric technician at busy private practice (I see about 30-40 patients a day)- This really helped during my interviews, and helped with my below average gpa/oat score. A ton of volunteer work in undergrad w/ local optometric charities. President of Pre-Optometry Society...etc.
Schools applied: MCPHS, NECO, SCO, Western, ICO, KYCO
Interviews extended/date: MCPHS, KYCO, NECO, Western (had interview w/ them last cycle w/ same stats and got waitlisted)
Interviews accepted: 10/28 MCPHS and NECO 1/20/17 (Western interviewed me last cycle and put me on the alternate list)
Interviews declined: KYCO
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: MCPHS 11/8/16

*****Sure, this isn't the greatest optometry school in the country, but my goal was to get accepted somewhere in the mainland U.S. AND I AM ECSTATIC TO FINALLY SAY I'M "GOING TO OPTOMETRY SCHOOL" INSTEAD OF SAYING "APPLYING TO OPTOMETRY SCHOOL". I also plan on doing the OD/MPH program at MCPHS. Good luck to everyone this cycle! This was my second time applying and I took the OAT multiple times. To anyone reading this, don't give up!!!*****

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Date OptomCAS submitted: September 17
Date verified: September 21
OAT Scores: 310 AA 290 TS
Major: Exercise and Sports Science
GPA: 3.5 GPA
Extracurricular Activities: 100+ hours volunteering at eye center, 40 shadowing Optometrists, executive board for 3 years of my sorority
Schools applied: MCPHS, SCCO, SCO, UIWRSO, NECO, IUCO, PUCO
Interviews extended/date: NECO (9/26), UIWRSO (9/26), MCPHS (10/17), PUCO (10/7), IUCO (10/11), SCO(11/4)
Interviews accepted: NECO( 11/7), UIWRSO (11/18), MCPHS (11/5), IUCO (12/2), SCO (12/5)
Interviews declined: PUCO (1/13)
Rejections/date: Waitlisted MCPHS (12/5)
Acceptance/date: NECO (11/17), RSO( 11/22), SCO (12/7), IUCO (12/8)

I have turned down my PUCO interview as I had already visited the school prior to applying. The other schools were way more appealing to me.

I turned down RSO but I'm now stuck with choosing between the other three! I liked them for all different reasons so that's making it hard!

GOING TO SCO :)

Last edited:
Congrats on MCPHS!!
They said they hadn't made decisions yet, I also went on 11/5. I thought that was awfully strange..

Just wanted to share in case others have similar stats. If anyone has any specific questions pertaining extra-curricular, breakdown of OAT, etc. feel free to shoot me a PM.

Date OptomCAS submitted: 10/02/16
Date verified: 10/05/16
OAT Scores: 330 TS, 340 AA
GPA: 3.37 overall
Schools applied: IUSO, Salus (Traditional), SUNY, UHCO, Western, PUCO (10/25 secondaries)
Interviews extended/date: SUNY (10/06), Salus (10/10), IUSO (10/12), Western (10/13), UHCO (10/19), PUCO (10/26)
Interviews accepted: SUNY (11/09), Salus (11/7), IUSO (11/4), Western (10/28)
Interviews declined:UHCO (11/3), PUCO (11/3) - originally accepted both
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: Western (11/2), IUSO (11/8), SUNY (11/10, so fast!), Salus (11/16)

It was a really hard decision, but I will be attending Western next year! :D

If you have any questions about Western, feel free to message me! I'm a first year!

Members don't see this ad :)
Date OptomCAS submitted: September 17
Date verified: September 21
OAT Scores: 310 AA 290 TS
Major: Exercise and Sports Science
GPA: 3.5 GPA
Extracurricular Activities: 100+ hours volunteering at eye center, 40 shadowing Optometrists, executive board for 3 years of my sorority
Schools applied: MCPHS, SCCO, SCO, UIWRSO, NECO, IUCO, PUCO
Interviews extended/date: NECO (9/26), UIWRSO (9/26), MCPHS (10/17), PUCO (10/7), IUCO (10/11), SCO(11/4)
Interviews accepted: NECO( 11/7), UIWRSO (11/18), MCPHS (11/5), IUCO (12/2), SCO (12/5)
Interviews declined: PUCO (1/13)
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: NECO (11/17), RSO( 11/22)

Still waiting on my visit to IUCO and SCO to decide! I still haven't heard back from MCPHS but they said they hadn't made any decisions yet. I am excited to have been accepted, I know it will be a hard choice!

I have turned down my PUCO interview as I had already visited the school prior to applying. The other schools were way more appealing to me.
My interview for SCO is tomorrow too!! See you there! :)

Sure!

QR 320 (ehh)
RC 320 (ehh...again)
BIO 280 (Not terrible, but I have done much, much better...you know what...for me it's pretty terrible)
GC 320 (Pretty proud of personally :))
OC 290 (thought I did better than what I scored)
PHYS 290 (The highest I've ever scored)
AA 300 (same as my last OAT)
TS 300 (went up 20 points from last OAT)

I took 5 years to complete undergrad. I graduated last May and I'm reapplying to optometry school this year. I took physics 5 years ago and gen chem 3 years ago. Those sections were the one's I needed to study the most, however, because of that, I let my Bio studying suffer. For me I think bio is a section you could never study too much. All of the other sections are concepts or equations or strategies but for Biology you gotta know your stuff (just my opinion though). I have done better on all the sections for practice tests and previous OAT's that I have taken--except this is the highest my GenChem and Physics have ever been. Hope this helps and let me know if you have any more questions!

Yeah I was in a similar boat. I took gen chem 8 years ago and bio 5 years ago!

Date OptomCAS submitted: 9/15/16
Date verified: 9/21/16
OAT Scores: 320AA, 320TS
Major: Biology/Pre-optometry with french and public health minors
GPA: 3.8 overall, 3.96 biology
Extracurricular Activities: Greek life, student orientation coordinator, peer mentor, student life and leadership office employee, president of Biology Club, Secretary of French club, tutor
Schools applied: Midwestern (Downer's Grove), ICO
Interviews extended/date: Midwestern 10/3, ICO 10/15
Acceptance/date: Accepted to both

GOING TO ICO!

Reactions: 3 users
Date OptomCAS submitted: 11/5
Date verified: 11/30 (long story as to why this took so long)
OAT Scores: 340 TS/360 AA
Major: Applied Mathematics
GPA: 2.9/2.8 (underwent medical treatment for a liver disease)
Extracurricular Activities:
Schools applied:
UHCO, SCO, Salus, UMSL, NOVA (some others I don't remember)
Interviews extended/date: SCO (11/30), UMSL (11/30), NOVA (12/6), Salus (12/1)
Interviews accepted: SCO (12/5)
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
SCO (12/7)

Still waiting to hear from UHCO before making a decision. I'll probably interview at NOVA as well!

Date OptomCAS submitted: 08/03/2016
Date verified: 08/04/2016
OAT Scores: 330 AA/ 340 TS (almost missed the exam because of Chicago marathon:laugh:)
GPA: 3.8
Extracurricular Activities: college research, research intern at hospital, shadowed in optometric private practice, retail and clinic (less than 40 hrs), shadowed an endocrinologist, treasurer of my Caribbean student organization (now VP), treasurer of Red Cross student club, member of American Medical Student Association (this was previously a general pre health club at our school), engaged in a week long summer optometry program called Focus on Your Future at ICO, worked at my school's call centre, Career Services department and now working as a computer lab assistant and check in staff for CPS testing
Schools applied: ICO, SUNY and NOVA (never submitted by supplemental though)
Interviews extended/date: SUNY (11/18/16) and ICO (12/01/16)
Interviews accepted: SUNY and ICO
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
SUNY (11/19/16)
Still waiting to hear back from ICO! I am really in love with both SUNY and ICO in terms of their clinical facilities and learning atmosphere. Students and faculty at both places seem very friendly. Anybody accepted to SUNY already receive word about the Incentive Scholarship or other scholarships as yet?

Date OptomCAS submitted: 08/17/16
Date verified: 08/22/16
OAT Scores: TS 350 , AA 350
Major: Integrative Biology
GPA: 3.45
Extracurricular Activities: volunteer leader at raptor rehabilitation center, working in hospitals, tutoring premedical students in biological sciences, shadowing optometrists (private practice, vision therapy, OD PhD), work at university eye center, undergraduate research on rodent social behavior, pre-optometry club, sketching and painting
Schools applied: SUNY, UCB, SCCO, Western, Midwestern AZCOPT
Interviews extended/date: Western 09/02/16, SCCO 09/09/16, MWU AZCOPT 9/02/16, SUNY 10/19/16, Berkeley 01/06/17
Interviews accepted: All
Interviews declined: None
Rejections/date: Western University (alternate list), SCCO, Midwestern University AZCOPT
Acceptance/date: SUNY 12/08/16

Decision: SUNY

Last edited:
Date OptomCAS submitted: 11/21/16
Date verified: 11/21/16
OAT Scores: 300 TS/ 300 AA
Major: Human Biology
GPA: 3.40
Extracurricular Activities: Presidential Honor Society, Church Christmas Play, Students of Albany Against Cancer Fundraising, Pre-Med Club, Collegiate Science & Technology Entry Program, Optician Assistant at a group private practice, Eyewear consultant at LensCrafters, Treasurer of UA Optometry Club, Freelancer for Clinique, worked a handful of jobs from restaurants to cosmetics retail, 100 hospital volunteer hours, shadowed 4 optometrists, and volunteered regularly around my community from Relay For Life to annual town clean ups throughout college, Dean’s List, Spellman Academic Achievement Awards, and more
Schools applied: PCO, AZCOPT, MCPHS, NECO, ICO, WesternU
Interviews extended/date: PCO (11/22), AZCOPT (11/29), MCPHS (12/2), NECO (12/2), ICO (12/14), WesternU (12/14)
Interviews accepted: MCPHS (12/9), PCO (12/13), AZCOPT (12/16)
Interviews declined: NECO, ICO, WesternU
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
AZCOPT (literally three hours after the interview day - 12/16), MCPHS (12/19), PCO (12/22)

Literally cried when I received that phone call that I have officially been accepted to Midwestern University, MY DREAM SCHOOL! For those who have been bad mouthing this school or have seen negative comments, I can assure you this is a great interprofessional university that has the potential to be one of the best optometry schools in the nation in years to come. While they have most of what other schools I've visited have (plus amazing weather year round), they're cutting edge technology makes this school have the upper hand. The faculty and staff were wonderful and the students were extremely down to earth. With their small class size, you will get the attention you need. And because of that, they're board passing rates are phenomenal. Loads of opportunities in this safe area, too. Growing up on the east coast, I personally didn't fit the atmosphere of Salus and MCPHS and I'm ready for a change of scenery.

I put down my deposit for AZCOPT! I can't believe I can finally say I AM GOING TO OPTOMETRY SCHOOL!!! CLASS OF 2021!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Date OptomCAS submitted: 12/01/16
Date verified: 12/13/16
OAT Scores: 400 TS / 380 AA
Major: Molecular Cell Biology & Physiology, Chemistry and Music Double Minor
GPA: 3.6 overall
Extracurricular Activities: Circle K International (various leadership positions and community service events for four years), Pre-Optometry Committee Chair for two years, Alternative Spring Break, Men's Chorus & 49er Chorus, worked/assisted at various private practices, and worked part-time jobs all throughout undergrad
Schools applied: UCBSO, SCCO, SUNY, NECO
Interviews extended/date: NECO (12/14), SUNY (12/19), SCCO (12/19), UCBSO (1/6)
Interviews accepted: UCBSO (1/28), SCCO (2/6), SUNY (2/9), NECO (2/13)
Interviews declined: N/A
Rejections/date: N/A
Acceptance/date: SCCO (2/9), UCBSO (2/9), SUNY (2/13), NECO (2/15)

I applied pretty late into the cycle, but I was still able to get into all of the programs I applied to!! With the exception of Berkeley, all of the programs told me that there was a high chance that the entering class was already full, so I felt really discouraged during my interviews.

Don't feel bad if they tell you that! There's most likely some spots available for you to be offered without needing to go through the program's waitlist/alternate list.

I'm excited to start at UC Berkeley School of Optometry in the fall to be a part of the Class of 2021!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Date OptomCAS submitted: 9/21/16
Date verified: 9/21/16
OAT Scores: 340 TS/ 330AA
Major: Biology-Anthropology B.S.
GPA: 3.4
Extracurricular Activities: Full-time optometric technician, volunteering at a low income eye clinic, affiliated with the lions club, service trip to El Salvador, Alpha Kappa Psi, Relay for Life, Internship, 134 Shadowing hours, President of the Pre-Optometry Club, Pre-med club, tons of other volunteer work, Huntington's disease research, etc.
Schools applied: ICO, PUCO, PCO, MWU, MCPHS, WesternU, IU
Interviews accepted: PUCO (11/18), WesternU (12/02), ICO (12/16)
Interviews declined: Decided 7 schools was too much and declined interviews for the rest
Rejections/date: N/A
Acceptance/date: PUCO (11/22), WesternU (12/09), ICO (12/19)

Going to PUCO!

Date OptomCAS submitted: 9/20/2016
Date verified: 9/26/2016
OAT Scores: 310 TS, 310 AA
Major: Biology at Illinois State University
GPA: 3.2 Overall
Extracurricular Activities: Optician/Optical Manager - in the field since 2013
Schools applied: ICO (supplemental sent 10/26), NECO, SCO
Interviews extended/date: ICO 11/2, NECO 10-4, SCO 11/4,
Interviews accepted: ICO, NECO
Interviews declined: SCO
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: ICO 11/18, NECO 11/2

Going to ICO staying in the wonderful city of Chicago! Going to move from Boystown to Bronzeville into the RC. I cannot wait to meet all of you fellow Chicago students on our new amazing adventure!

Reactions: 3 users
Date OptomCAS submitted: Puerto Rico (10/07/16) AZCOPT (11/15/16) Western (11/15/16) SCCO (12/5/16)
Date verified: 10/10/2016
OAT Scores: 330 TS 330 AA
Major: Public health Science (UC)
GPA: Optomcas Overall: 3.17, Prerequisite: 3.20
Extracurricular Activities: 6 months optometric assistant, 4 months optometry volunteer, 200 hrs hospital volunteer work, Opthalmology clinic experience, Club leaders etc.
Schools applied: SCCO, Western, Midwestern(AZ), Puerto Rico
Interviews extended/date: Midwestern (11/18/16), Western (12/1/16)
Interviews accepted: Midwestern (12/16/16), Western (1/6/17)
Interviews declined: TBA
Rejections/date: SCCO-app on hold for GPA reasons
Acceptance/date: Midwestern 12/16, Western (1/11/16)

Attending Western!
How long did it take for you to hear back about acceptance to Midwestern?

Date OptomCAS submitted: 8/5/16
Date verified: 8/5/16
OAT Scores: 310 overall, 300 sciences
Major: B.S Physiology
GPA: 3.04 overall/2.76 science
Extracurricular Activities: officer in pre-health club in college (1 year), student government in college (2 years), optometric tech (1.5 years), I grew up in the optometry field (my dad is an optometrist), job shadowing in various opometric settings
Schools applied: NSUOCO, ICO, Pacific, Western U, Ketchum (SCCO), UHCO, UAB, Salus, Nova
Interviews extended/date: Western (9/23), Salus (10/17), NSUOCO (1/23), Nova (3/7)
Interviews accepted: Western, Salus, NSUOCO (YES!), Nova
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
ICO (~8/23), Pacific (~8/23), Ketchum (~8/23), UAB (1/14), Nova (3/24), NSUOCO (3/25)
Acceptance/date: Western (9/30), Salus (standby -3/20)

Hello WesternU, here I come!

Last edited:
Date OptomCAS submitted: 7/01/2016
Date verified: 7/18/2016
OAT Scores: 300 Overall/270 Sciences
Major: Sociology (B.A.)
GPA: 3.4 overall/3.08 science
Extracurricular Activities: Shadowed two different optometrists for 20 hours each, worked as an eye-care advisor at LensCrafters (30 hours/week), volunteered at Kaiser Hospital, Meeting Coordinator for the last few years
Schools applied: Western, ICO, Salus, MCPHS, Midwestern, and SCCO
Interviews extended/date: MCPHS (10/17) Western (1/25) Salus (12/7)
Interviews accepted: MCPHS (11/5) Western (2/24)
Interviews declined: Salus (personal reasons)
Rejections/date: -
Acceptance/date: MCPHS (12/8)

So, my OAT scores are not that great, luckily I was still able to get some interviews..
I committed to MCPHS as a back up, but I'm really hoping I get into Western! I live in California, about 30 minutes away from Western, so it would be very, very nice to stay close to my family!!
Does anyone have any tips for Western's interview? :)

Last edited:
Extracurricular Activities: officer in pre-health club in college (1 year), student government in college (2 years), optometric tech (1.5 years), I grew up in the optometry field (my dad is an optometrist), job shadowing in various opometric settings
Schools applied: NSUOCO, ICO, Pacific, Western U, Ketchum (SCCO), UHCO, UAB, Salus
Interviews extended/date: Western (9/23), Salus (10/17), NSUOCO (1/23)
Interviews accepted: Western, Salus, NSUOCO (YES!)
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
ICO (~8/23), Pacific (~8/23), Ketchum (~8/23), UAB (1/14)
Acceptance/date:
Western (9/30), Salus (waitlisted)

I'm so excited that I actually got an interview offer from NSUOCO! Does anyone have any tips from their interview day (specific for NSUOCO)?
I'm interviewing there soon! Maybe I'll see you there! Lol

Schools applied: NSUOCO, ICO, Pacific, Western U, Ketchum (SCCO), UHCO, UAB, Salus
Interviews extended/date: Western (9/23), Salus (10/17), NSUOCO (1/23)
Interviews accepted: Western, Salus, NSUOCO (YES!)
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
ICO (~8/23), Pacific (~8/23), Ketchum (~8/23), UAB (1/14)
Acceptance/date:
Western (9/30), Salus (waitlisted)

I'm so excited that I actually got an interview offer from NSUOCO! Does anyone have any tips from their interview day (specific for NSUOCO)?

Hey there! Congrats on you acceptances! Also congrats on the interview at NSUOCO!
I was accepted in October after reapplying--I've applied twice so hopefully I can offer some good insight :)
So, here it is:
Be ready to talk about grades and OAT--trends in grades--ups and /or downs in grades--don't feel like you have to defend poor grades or scores--be ready to talk about them but don't sound defensive, why grades what they were, why some subjects might have been higher than others, if you were working in school, extracurriculars while in school--any other things you were dedicated to other than academics and why you still chose to do them while still pursuing optometry. Be ready to talk about what your study habits were and what they will look like in optometry school. Hobbies, strengths, weaknesses, what qualities does an great optometrist have, things you have been criticized on by close friends, why you should be accepted to NSU, why you want to go to NSU, what do you have to offer NSU, explain , tell me about yourself--try not to be too lengthy--what I've heard about this one and what I said--Where I am from, where I went to school, what I studied, that I was engaged and getting married in December,I met my fiancee on a missions trip and that's my true passion. I wish to do mission work through optometry in the future. I was maybe 6 sentences long. I thought about it alot--I didn't write it down because I didn't want it to sound scripted. Be ready for curve ball questions too. Be confident with answers but don't be cocky. If you aren't sure how to answer a question--don't BS through it, maybe say, "I'm not sure how to answer that question, could you ask it in a different way?"
One of my favorite questions was: "If you had $100,000 to donate to any charity, which one would it be and why?"
Please let me know if you have any other questions, general or specific!

Hey there! Congrats on you acceptances! Also congrats on the interview at NSUOCO!
I was accepted in October after reapplying--I've applied twice so hopefully I can offer some good insight :)
So, here it is:
Be ready to talk about grades and OAT--trends in grades--ups and /or downs in grades--don't feel like you have to defend poor grades or scores--be ready to talk about them but don't sound defensive, why grades what they were, why some subjects might have been higher than others, if you were working in school, extracurriculars while in school--any other things you were dedicated to other than academics and why you still chose to do them while still pursuing optometry. Be ready to talk about what your study habits were and what they will look like in optometry school. Hobbies, strengths, weaknesses, what qualities does an great optometrist have, things you have been criticized on by close friends, why you should be accepted to NSU, why you want to go to NSU, what do you have to offer NSU, explain , tell me about yourself--try not to be too lengthy--what I've heard about this one and what I said--Where I am from, where I went to school, what I studied, that I was engaged and getting married in December,I met my fiancee on a missions trip and that's my true passion. I wish to do mission work through optometry in the future. I was maybe 6 sentences long. I thought about it alot--I didn't write it down because I didn't want it to sound scripted. Be ready for curve ball questions too. Be confident with answers but don't be cocky. If you aren't sure how to answer a question--don't BS through it, maybe say, "I'm not sure how to answer that question, could you ask it in a different way?"
One of my favorite questions was: "If you had $100,000 to donate to any charity, which one would it be and why?"
Please let me know if you have any other questions, general or specific!
The email I got said you have to write an essay? What is that about?

The email I got said you have to write an essay? What is that about?

Yeah there's an essay portion and I think it's before the interview(it was for me anyway). You have around 30 minutes to write a prompt that's relative to your path to optometry, future in optometry, etc. It's gonna be about optometry haha. I think you draw 3 cards out of several and then choose one prompt on a card. It's not too bad. I'm not the best writer, honestly, I'm not very good at all, but I made it work with what I got. So be encouraged! Also, the essay isn't the biggest part of the interview but it is still important--I believe what they're really looking at is if you can spell, write complete sentences, and write grammatically. Basically, they want to see that you can write well enough to not depend on spell check or for someone else to write a paper for you.

Date OptomCAS submitted: 7/26/16
Date verified/released: 8/17/16
OAT Scores: TS 300 / AA 320
Major: Science & Political Science
GPA: 3.84
Extracurricular Activities: Pre-Optometry Club President & Bouldering Team Member at school, plus working at an optometric clinic and doing external shadowing of other optometrists (~40 hours), as well as volunteering (medical services and charitable fundraising).
Schools applied: Pacific, ICO, SCCO/MBKU, and UC Berkeley
Interviews Offered:
--PUCO 8/31/16
--ICO 9/14/16
--SCCO 9/9/16
--UCBSO 1/6/17​
Interview Day:
--PUCO 9/9/16
--ICO 10/6/16
--SCCO 10/8/16
--UCBSO 1/28/17
Interviews Declined: --
Rejections Date: --
Acceptance Offered:
--PUCO 9/16/16
--ICO 10/21/16
--SCCO 10/10/16
--UCBSO 2/9/17

Last edited:
Date OptomCAS submitted: 09/26
Date verified: 09/26
OAT Scores: 370 TS/ 370 AA
Major: Behavioral Neuroscience
GPA: 3.42 overall/3.19 science
Schools applied: ICO (invited on 10/12 to do supplemental app - never completed it), SCCO, Western (supplementary submitted 11/1), Midwestern-AZ, UCB (11/30 lol I really put it off until the last minute)
Interviews extended/date: Midwestern (9/30) SCCO (10/14) Western (10/20)
Interviews accepted: Midwestern (11/2), SCCO (11/14), Western (12/2), UCB (1/6)
Interviews declined: Western (cancelled)
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: Midwestern-AZ 11/2 (found out right away at the end of the day after interview/tour), SCCO 11/15 (emailed the next morning)

I'd love to know what you decide once you hear back from UCB!

Date OptomCAS submitted: 8/21
Date verified: 9/9
OAT Scores: AA 320 TS 320
Major: Studio Art- Concentrating in Photography (graduated '09)
GPA: 3.6
Extracurricular Activities: Optometric tech at 2 practices part time. Shadowed 30+ hours. Volunteered at: UCSD Shiley Eye Institute, Braille Institute, Unite for Sight (India), Special Olympics. Formerly a program coordinator for non-profit arts organization that taught photography to immigrant & refugee youth. Lots of hours volunteering in the arts.
Schools applied: OSU, Indiana, PUCO, SCCO, Western, Midwestern, ICO, UCB (upcoming)
Interviews extended/date: Indiana (9/12), OSU (9/13), SCCO (9/13), PUCO (9/15), UC Berkeley (1/6)
Interviews accepted: SCCO (10/8), OSU (10/14), UC Berkeley (1/28)
Interviews declined: PUCO , Indiana
Acceptance/date:
SCCO (10/10), OSU (10/17)

Wish me luck on the rest of my interviews, and best of luck to all of you. :)

I'd love to know what you decide once you hear back from Berkeley :)

Date OptomCAS submitted: 11/29/16
Date verified: 12/7/16
OAT Scores: 300 AA/270 TS
Major: Exercise Science - PreMed
GPA: 3.4 overall 3.1 science
Extracurricular Activities: Work at LensCrafters (2+ years) as an apprenticed optician/optical technician. Involved in a sorority Delta Delta Delta where I have held leadership and officer positions, Gamma Sigma Alpha- National Greek honor society, Hundreds of hours of community service through on campus events and philanthropic events with my sorority.
Schools applied: OSU, MidW-Il, Indiana (never filled out supplemental), Salus, MCO, ICO
Interviews extended/date: Salus (12/9) Midwestern-Il (12/15) MCO (1/20)
Interviews accepted: Salus, MidW-Il, MCO
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date: MCO put app on hold
Acceptance/date: Salus, Midwestern-Il

Sent my deposit in yesterday and will be attending Salus next fall!!!

Date OptomCAS submitted: 11/29/16
Date verified: 12/7/16
OAT Scores: 300 AA/270 TS
Major: Exercise Science - PreMed
GPA: 3.4 overall 3.1 science
Extracurricular Activities: Work at LensCrafters (2+ years) as an apprenticed optician/optical technician. Involved in a sorority Delta Delta Delta where I have held leadership and officer positions, Gamma Sigma Alpha- National Greek honor society, Hundreds of hours of community service through on campus events and philanthropic events with my sorority.
Schools applied: OSU, MidW-Il, Indiana (never filled out supplemental), Salus, MCO, ICO
Interviews extended/date: Salus (12/9) Midwestern-Il (12/15) MCO (1/20)
Interviews accepted: Salus, MidW-Il, MCO
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date: MCO put app on hold
Acceptance/date: Salus, Midwestern-Il

Sent my deposit in yesterday and will be attending Salus next fall!!!

Congrats! How was your interview at Midwestern IL? And how soon after the interview did you hear back from them?

Date OptomCAS submitted: 8-30-2016
Date verified: 8-30-2016
OAT Scores: 320 TS/ 310 AA (Just retook the OAT on 1/31/2017 and improved from 280 TS/ 300 AA)
Cumulative GPA: 3.32 sGPA: ~3.16
Schools applied: PUCO, UIWRSO, Nova, AZCOPT
Interviews extended/date: PUCO (9-30-2016), UIWRSO (2-2-2017), Nova (2-6-2017), AZCOPT (2-17-2017)
Interviews accepted: PUCO (11-4-2016), UIWRSO (2-24-2017), Nova (2-27-2017), AZCOPT (3-31-2017
)
Rejections/date: PUCO (alternate list)
Acceptance/date: UIWRSO (3-1-17), Nova (3-3-17), AZCOPT (3-6-17)

Attending AZCOPT!!

Last edited:
Date OptomCAS submitted: End of August 2016
Date verified: Beginning of September 2016
OAT Scores: 310 AA, 300 TS
Major: Zoology/Pre-optometry
GPA: 3.97 overall/4.00 science
Schools applied: MCO (Michigan), PUCO (Oregon), NOVA (Florida), PCO/SALUS (PA), Western (CA)
Interviews extended/date: MCO-9/30, PUCO-9/15, NOVA-9/16, PCO-10/25, Western-9/19
Interviews accepted: MCO-10/17, PUCO-10/14
Interviews declined: NOVA, PCO, Western
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
MCO-10/19, PUCO-10/20

Going to Michigan College of Optometry next fall! I will be going without a bachelor's degree and earning a degree in Vision Science after the first year of optometry school. It's possible :)

Hi!
I am currently a sophomore and want to apply this upcoming summer to also apply without a bachelor's degree! Do you have any tips or did you do anything extra?

Date OptomCAS submitted: 11/24/2016
Date verified: 11/28/2016
Date supplemental apps submitted: 12/12/16 (NSUCO, IUSO)
OAT Scores: 380 TS/ 370 AA
GPA: 3.37
Extracurriculars: I listed my experience shadowing two different optometrists: one at a pretty small practice (2 exam rooms) and the other at a larger practice that had some neat specialties (~6 exam rooms).
I had experience working with opticians as an "eyewear specialist" at a Visionworks. I recently got a job as an optometric technician (which I highly recommend! It wasn't a part of my application, but I did mention it during my interviews).
I was part of a non-profit 501c3 leadership program for two years where I got to help run/organize events and learn professional skills. I also described my experience as a microbiology undergraduate TA, which is relevant to one of my letters of rec.

Schools applied: Nova Southeastern University College of Optometry, Indiana University School of Optometry, UC Berkeley School of Optometry
Interviews extended/date: NSUCO (12/16); IUSO (12/23); UCBSO (1/6)
Interviews accepted: NSUCO, IUSO (has an ‘Admission Day’, no traditional interview), UCBSO
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
UCBSO (2/10)
Acceptance/date: NSUCO (1/13); IUSO (2/1)

Going to IUSO! :biglove:

Last edited:
Congrats! How was your interview at Midwestern IL? And how soon after the interview did you hear back from them?

I heard back two days later from Midwestern and about a week and a half later from Salus

Date OptomCAS submitted: 10/03/16
Date verified: 10/07/16
OAT Scores: 350 AA 360TS
Major: Human Biology & Society
GPA: 3.57
President of Pre-Optometry Club, Member of Circle K, Intern at private practice, shadowed 3 docs (hospital, costco, group practice)
Schools applied: SUNY, ICO, UCBSO, Pacific
Interviews extended/date:
Interviews accepted: Pacific
(12/2), UCBSO (01/28), SUNY (10/25)
Interviews declined: ICO
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
Pacific 12/9, UCBSO 02/10, SUNY (10/26)

If anyone's been accepted to both SUNY and UCBSO, I'd love to hear where you decide to go and why!

Date OptomCAS submitted: 7/26/16
Date verified/released: 8/17/16
OAT Scores: TS 300 / AA 320
Major: Science & Political Science
GPA: 3.84
Extracurricular Activities: Pre-Optometry Club President & Bouldering Team Member at school, plus working at an optometric clinic and doing external shadowing of other optometrists (~40 hours), as well as volunteering (medical services and charitable fundraising).
Schools applied: Pacific, ICO, SCCO/MBKU, and UC Berkeley
Interviews Offered:
--PUCO 8/31/16
--ICO 9/14/16
--SCCO 9/9/16
--UCBSO 1/6/17​
Interview Day:
--PUCO 9/9/16
--ICO 10/6/16
--SCCO 10/8/16
--UCBSO 1/28/17
Interviews Declined: --
Rejections Date: --
Acceptance Offered:
--PUCO 9/16/16
--ICO 10/21/16
--SCCO 10/10/16
--UCBSO 2/9/17
Congrats on your acceptance to Berkeley!! Do you know which school you will be choosing?

Date OptomCAS submitted: 12/03/2016
Date verified: 12/07/16
OAT Scores: 330 AA (I actually lost my unofficial score report the day I took it, so I don't remember what my TS score was)
Major: Biology (Chemistry Minor)
GPA: 3.69
Extracurricular Activities: POPS, Lions Club Vision Screenings, Biology Research Assistant, Optometric Technician
Schools applied: UIWRSO, UHCO
Interviews extended/date: UIWRSO (12/7), UHCO (12/12)
Interviews accepted: UIWRSO (12/16), UHCO (01/30)
Interviews declined: -
Acceptance/date: UIWRSO (12/19), UHCO (01/31)

Will be attending UHCO!

Date OptomCAS submitted:
Date verified:
OAT Scores: AA: 360 TS: 370
GPA: 3.4 overall, 3.1 science
Extracurricular Activities: Kappa Kappa Gamma, Pre Optometry Club, Reading for Rogers Volunteer, IUDM
Schools applied: NECO, IUCO, ICO, NOVA, UAB, SUNY
Interviews extended/date: all of the above
Interviews accepted: everywhere except UAB
Interviews declined: UAB
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: NECO, IUCO, ICO, NOVA, SUNy

Date OptomCAS submitted: 10-19-2016
Date verified: 10-20-2016
OAT Scores: 340TS/330AA
GPA: 3.60
Schools applied: UIWRSO, UHCO
Interviews extended/date: UIWRSO (11-2-2016) UHCO (11-21-2016)
Interviews accepted: UIWRSO (11-18-2016) UHCO (1-30-2017)
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: UIWRSO (11-22-2016) UHCO (1-31-2017)
Did you end up choosing UIW or UHCO?

Date verified: 11/14/16
OAT Scores: 360 AA / 370 TS
GPA: 3.61
Schools applied:
UCBSO, SUNY, SCO, NECO, NOVA
Interviews accepted:
UCBSO, SUNY, SCO
Interviews declined: NECO, NOVA
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
UCBSO (2/9), SUNY (12/16), SCO (1/18)

Chose SCO!!! Congrats class of 2021!!!

Last edited:
Date OptomCAS submitted: 10/03/16
Date verified: 10/07/16
OAT Scores: 350 AA 360TS
Major: Human Biology & Society
GPA: 3.57
President of Pre-Optometry Club, Member of Circle K, Intern at private practice, shadowed 3 docs (hospital, costco, group practice)
Schools applied: SUNY, ICO, UCBSO, Pacific
Interviews accepted: Pacific
(12/2), UCBSO (01/28), SUNY (10/25)
Interviews declined: ICO
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
Pacific 12/9, UCBSO 02/10, SUNY (10/26)

If anyone's been accepted to both SUNY and UCBSO, I'd love to hear where you decide to go and why!

I chose UCBSO because of a few things (1) location, (2) lifestyle, and (3) campus.

(1) Location -- I'm from Southern California, so I chose UCBSO because I would qualify for in-state tuition for all three/four years of optometry school, not needing to worry about declaring new residency or paying out-of-state tuition for a year. Also, Berkeley is a good enough distance away from SoCal for me to be able to move away and learn to become more independent and self-sufficient since I've lived at home for my entire life, even through undergrad. It's far away enough for me to do that, but it's also still close enough for me to fly home in case of emergencies since my mom is gonna be living on her own once I move away.

(2) Lifestyle -- I visited New York City for the first time when I went for my interview and although it was great being in Times Square and being right next to Broadway (one of my absolute dreams), the hectic nature of the city and the hustle and bustle of Manhattan really overwhelmed me. I felt that spending three years in the city like that would prove to be really exhausting for me. I really love big cities, but I think being in the city 5 or 6 days a week would definitely drain me and make me too tired to even function with school. Berkeley is close to San Francisco, so I still get to have that big city life that I want, but it doesn't have to be all the time.

(3) Campus -- Because Berkeley's School of Optometry is also a part of the main UC Berkeley campus, so I would have so many resources and so many different people to interact with, whether undergraduate or graduate students. Because I stayed at home for undergrad, I was looking forward to UCBSO and its campus life so that I could make up for the past four years. Also, when I visited SUNY's campus, it was slightly underwhelming. Although it was a 10 minute walk from Times Square, the idea of having all of my classes and labs and clinics in one building makes me feel really confined. The state of the facilities also left me desiring a bit more, even though I know they are planning on updating a lot of the facilities.

I hope this helps you in making your decision! Congrats on getting into your programs! If you happen to decide on Berkeley, I hope to see you there! :)

Congrats on your acceptance to Berkeley!! Do you know which school you will be choosing?

I'm having a hard time. Everyone says go where is the best fit and don't listen to what other people have to say. But I feel like everybody says Berkeley for reason so it's not like I should just ignore them and when I analyze the reasons I feel like it IS a more rigorous program and I should do it to be the best me I can be. But it sucks because I really want to go to SCCO. The struggle is do I go where I know I'll be happier during my four years of school, or do I go where I think I'll be happier after having gotten my education (and the four years of school are done) for the rest of my life? And I think I know the answer to that, but it certainly isn't as fun so I'm having a tug-of-war of the heart.

The most stressful blessing to get.

Date OptomCAS submitted: 10/13/2016
Date verified: 10/17/2016
OAT Scores: 350 AA/ 370 TS
Major: Health Studies Co-op
GPA: 3.67
Extracurricular Activities: Volunteer Centre Coodinator, Cultural Caravan Coordinator, Job shadowed 3 Optometrists, Contact Lens Clerical Assisstant, 2 positions as Business Analyst, 2 positions as Project Coordinator
Schools applied: NECO, ICO, PCO (Salus - Traditional and Scholars), SUNY, SCCO, Berkeley
Interviews extended/date: NECO (11/08), ICO (12/01), PCO (Salus - Traditional and Scholars) (12/06), SUNY (12/08), SCCO (11/11), Berkeley (01/06)
Interviews accepted: NECO, SUNY, PCO (Salus - Traditional and Scholars)
Interviews declined: SCCO, ICO, Berkeley
Rejections/date: None
Acceptance/date: NECO (11/27), SUNY (11/18), PCO (Salus - Traditional and Scholars) (01/15)

I will be attending Salus Scholar's Program as Class of 2020!! So excited :love::claps: