Class of 2021 . . . how ya doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I-70 going east-west through Kansas also does not disappoint either. Particularly in the anti-abortion category. Plus there's that creepy wheat Jesus in Colby, KS (literally google 'creepy wheat Jesus' if you haven't ever seen it).
image.jpeg
For the lazy people...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
My personal favorites are the Lion's Den billboards throughout southern Illinois and Missouri. For the Midwest hating the lusty times, there's certainly a great amount of temptation.

I-70 going east-west through Kansas also does not disappoint either. Particularly in the anti-abortion category. Plus there's that creepy wheat Jesus in Colby, KS (literally google 'creepy wheat Jesus' if you haven't ever seen it).

Not a creepy billboard, but that giant wind farm along I-70 is scary as crap if you don't know it's there and you drive through Kansas at night.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have officially moved into my new apartment and I've already learned a few things about my surroundings:
1) my cat hates it here and has decided to live behind the washer
2) there is a liquor store within 7 min of my place
3) there are a lot of Christian radio stations and several billboards telling me where I'm going when I die

This place is the best.

How is everyone else liking thier new states?

I am doing lots of family stuff with the SO (his family) before school so I still have two states to get to before our new one (not to mention a plane ride over many more). Lots of driving, lots of weird billboards. In Indiana, we passed the "Hell is real" one, and my boyfriend said he wants to get a billboard right next to it that reads "It's Indiana" :laugh:

I hope your cat enjoys your new home soon! My cat has been amazing in the car- she sits on my lap or in her carrier with her harness on and seems to enjoy the scenery. I think she's going to be disappointed when we get to our new apartment and she's not able to see so many cars, birds, and people!

Reactions: 5 users
Re: billboards, I like this obnoxiously sexist one :laugh:

IMG_3325.JPG

I've never used baking powder in my life before.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, you basically use it instead of yeast when you don't want the flavors you normally get from yeast. Or when your batter/mix is too weak to hold gas bubbles.

My comment was a terribly failed joke. RIP, little joke.

I know I'm way behind the rest of you, but I just got information for how to register for classes and a final to do list! This is actually really happening!! :soexcited:

Reactions: 1 user
So I died but I'm resurrected, much like creepy wheat Jesus, and I just wanted to jump in and say that I'm freaking out finally haha. It's finally dawned on me that I'm moving on the 17th.

Reactions: 3 users
So I died but I'm resurrected, much like creepy wheat Jesus, and I just wanted to jump in and say that I'm freaking out finally haha. It's finally dawned on me that I'm moving on the 17th.

Welcome back, future classmate!! :D

Reactions: 1 users
T-minus 8 days until orientation! It's starting to get real! While this summer hasn't been what I hoped for due to being on bed rest for a month due to my back, I have managed to get quite a bit of wedding planning done including finding my dress!! So overall, can't complain. :) Ready to start this crazy journey that is vet school.

TBH I've never made batter in my life before. Tollhouse break n bake cookies ftw!

Nope, have to disagree cdo! Homemade chocolate-chip cookies all the way! You won't ever touch that pre-made junk again, lol. I made about 9 dozen cookies over the summer and have them in my freezer. They actually freeze really well, and still taste fresh from the oven.

Also, I use my overripe bananas in banana bread too! Perfect way to use them up!

Nope, have to disagree cdo! Homemade chocolate-chip cookies all the way! You won't ever touch that pre-made junk again, lol. I made about 9 dozen cookies over the summer and have them in my freezer. They actually freeze really well, and still taste fresh from the oven.

Also, I use my overripe bananas in banana bread too! Perfect way to use them up!
I mean you can always make me cookies and change my mind! ;):p

I make damn good cookies but I still will break and bake when I need cookies NOW and can't wait to make dough and let it chill. :laugh:

I mean you can always make me cookies and change my mind! ;):p

I will be happy to supply your cookie fix anytime. ;)

I probably shouldn't eat all 9 dozen cookies by myself anyways.....

We're only 20ish pages off 2020's page count. We'll have to surpass them by the beginning of Christmas break.

I am totally up for a cookie swap! I make cookies in waaay to large a batches due to my Grandpa's recipes being for an actual bakery. Then again, I'm sure I could find people closer to me to eat all my extra cookies... ;)

I finished my last official day of work today! 24 nail trims and 4 baths = my record for a Tuesday grooming special!

Oh my. :laugh: I haven't seen that one, but it's been a few years since I've been further west than Manhattan on I-70.

TBH I've never made batter in my life before. Tollhouse break n bake cookies ftw!
Whaaaat?? Someone needs to teach this Egg to bake.

I am totally up for a cookie swap! I make cookies in waaay to large a batches due to my Grandpa's recipes being for an actual bakery. Then again, I'm sure I could find people closer to me to eat all my extra cookies... ;)
The idea of a baked goods swap was actually how the Facebook message group started, back in December... maybe it'll actually happen this semester!

Oh my. :laugh: I haven't seen that one, but it's been a few years since I've been further west than Manhattan on I-70.

Whaaaat?? Someone needs to teach this Egg to bake.

The idea of a baked goods swap was actually how the Facebook message group started, back in December... maybe it'll actually happen this semester!
Well I kept offering things to sandy and she said she'd tell me when it was ok to send things but apparently it was never ok :(

I've been watching the Great British Baking Show and now I want to make all the things. If anything works I'll join the goodies swap party!

I've been watching the Great British Baking Show and now I want to make all the things. If anything works I'll join the goodies swap party!

I've been doing this all summer with the recipes they have available. It all started with the technical challenge dacquoise I made for my mom for her birthday back in March. It's a ton of fun even though I manage to screw something or another up most of the time. Currently have a large version of Martha's lemon thyme drizzle cakes in the fridge!

Have you watched any of the master class episodes? Those are useful, too.

Also - shout out to cake box mixes. I like making cake from scratch, but box mixes can be super convenient and pretty freaking good. I just follow my father-in-law's tips: mix wet ingredients separately and get them frothy. Then sift the dry cake mix into the wet ingredients. Works like a charm. Nice and fluffy cake. :)

I've been doing this all summer with the recipes they have available. It all started with the technical challenge dacquoise I made for my mom for her birthday back in March. It's a ton of fun even though I manage to screw something or another up most of the time. Currently have a large version of Martha's lemon thyme drizzle cakes in the fridge!

Also - shout out to cake box mixes. I like making cake from scratch, but box mixes can be super convenient and pretty freaking good. I just follow my father-in-law's tips: mix wet ingredients separately and get them frothy. Then sift the dry cake mix into the wet ingredients. Works like a charm. Nice and fluffy cake. :)
Nope, I just found out about the master class, so I haven't watched it at all yet. I will though! I want to try puff pastry, but I'm sure it'll take a lot of trial and error. I tend to overbake everything.

Those sound amazing.

Hey @PrincessButterCup lets do some baking while you're here! I'm not sure I'll be 100% healthy by then so I might not be up to adventuring all day every day so baking would be a fun slightly less taxing adventure. :)

how many clubs are people planning on joining? I don't want to over do it for first year, but they all sound so interesting!!!

how many clubs are people planning on joining? I don't want to over do it for first year, but they all sound so interesting!!!

If you're not on the executive board, they are basically 0 time commitment other than attending lunch lectures and occasional wet labs. So join as many as you're willing to pay for!

Reactions: 5 users