Class of 2021 . . . how ya doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I feel like I am ready for another hotdog and beer. Those are feelings, right?
I'd even call them positive feelings

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm feeling up the girl next to me. Those are feelings, too, right?
LIS no!!!
white-van-free-candy-crop.jpg

(It must be that super sexy voice I heard about that lured her into the van! :laugh::laugh:)

Reactions: 1 users
What are feelings? Can I sell them for money?

I'll have feelings again Friday at 5. They'll be the desire for and subsequent satisfaction of alcohol.

SOS guys. I need help/ a new brain/ alcohol to help me get through this. :laugh: Biochem 2 might be the end of me due to burying me in pathways. 3 more days! :eek:

IMG_1536.JPG

PS to whomever said that studying central metabolism was fun: I will find you, and then you and I are gonna have a little talk. :punch:

SOS guys. I need help/ a new brain/ alcohol to help me get through this. :laugh: Biochem 2 might be the end of me due to burying me in pathways. 3 more days! :eek:

View attachment 218715

PS to whomever said that studying central metabolism was fun: I will find you, and then you and I are gonna have a little talk. :punch:

Dang. I'm studying for my biochem final and thought I had it bad... you've got a lot more detail on there than I am required to know. The end is nigh!

Reactions: 1 user

View attachment 218715

Looking at that makes me nauseous. I just took my survey biochem final yesterday. I don't ever want to see it again but I was able to write out glycolysis like a pro yesterday. Of course she didn't believe in abbreviations. PEP? Nope, only phosphoenolpyruvate to her. :rolleyes: Thankfully I didn't have to make as many connections as you did there.

Screen Shot 2017-05-10 at 10.23.28 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-10 at 10.23.10 AM.png

View attachment 218715

Here's mine from 2015. I loved studying metabolism!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Looking at that makes me nauseous. I just took my survey biochem final yesterday. I don't ever want to see it again but I was able to write out glycolysis like a pro yesterday. Of course she didn't believe in abbreviations. PEP? Nope, only phosphoenolpyruvate to her. :rolleyes: Thankfully I didn't have to make as many connections as you did there.
Ahh see, no abbreviations for us either lol. I've just gone over glycolysis so many times that I automatically associate PFK with phosphofructokinase lol. It's ingrained deep. :arghh:
Dang. I'm studying for my biochem final and thought I had it bad... you've got a lot more detail on there than I am required to know. The end is nigh!
woo :blackeye::barf:
View attachment 218726 View attachment 218727

Here's mine from 2015. I loved studying metabolism!
:uhno: I'm soooooo done with metabolism. That's a hard pass for me!

View attachment 218715

You studied this in biochem TWO?? uhgghghgh.... in my one semester of biochem we had to know these pathways by heart + 7 others for one test and why they're important and where they're used in the body and then why THAT'S important and just why in general... why me... :laugh:

Oh well, I passed.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is like a "target" amount when taking out loans for vet school? Say if it's someone going to their IS school with family help for some living costs. Like is there any amount that when finished, it would be comfortable to pay it off? I know there are a lot of other factors involved like city lived in after graduation and type of job, etc.

What is like a "target" amount when taking out loans for vet school? Say if it's someone going to their IS school with family help for some living costs. Like is there any amount that when finished, it would be comfortable to pay it off? I know there are a lot of other factors involved like city lived in after graduation and type of job, etc.

You should look at projected salaries in your area of interests and projected monthly loan payment and the percentage of your take home pay that you would be comfortable with. Under a third of you take home pay would probably be ideal.

You studied this in biochem TWO?? uhgghghgh.... in my one semester of biochem we had to know these pathways by heart + 7 others for one test and why they're important and where they're used in the body and then why THAT'S important and just why in general... why me... :laugh:

Oh well, I passed.
I mean, we did cooompletely different stuff in biochem 1. More DNA/ amino acid based. So it's been all in one semester haha, we just did other things first.

You should look at projected salaries in your area of interests and projected monthly loan payment and the percentage of your take home pay that you would be comfortable with. Under a third of you take home pay would probably be ideal.

Thanks Coop! I'm also going to try and pay off interest while in school for this first year. Anyone else thinking about doing this?

Thanks Coop! I'm also going to try and pay off interest while in school for this first year. Anyone else thinking about doing this?
I would recommend any extra money would be put toward tuition not interest. You could use it to give back the original loan in the forgiveness time frame if you wanted to avoid the interest.

Yeah I'm kinda struggling to figure out how much to take out. Right now tuition is at $12,500. Living cost will be like $7,500. I was planning on paying for half of living cost myself so that would leave like $3750. So that adds up to $16,250 in loans. I overexaggerated on living cost by a couple hundred at least. Is taking out $20,000 too much?

Yeah I'm kinda struggling to figure out how much to take out. Right now tuition is at $12,500. Living cost will be like $7,500. I was planning on paying for half of living cost myself so that would leave like $3750. So that adds up to $16,250 in loans. I overexaggerated on living cost by a couple hundred at least. Is taking out $20,000 too much?
Take out the least conservative estimate first semester/year. You can adjust and give back once you get a real feel for costs. While I get you trying to be as frugal as possible, once again I cannot stress enough the horrendous strain that can happen if you suddenly find yourself without in the middle of the semester.

Reactions: 3 users
Are you sure that tuition isn't per semester? That's insanely low for a vet school and I'm jealous if that's for the year haha

I agree with lupin, you should be less conservative the first year. I would look it up to verify but I believe you can give back federal loans 120 days after disbursement (essentially a semester) so you can feel free to take out as much as you need and give back what you don't use.

I agree with lupin, you should be less conservative the first year. I would look it up to verify but I believe you can give back federal loans 120 days after disbursement (essentially a semester) so you can feel free to take out as much as you need and give back what you don't use.

This is correct. You can also take out more if you need it (up to your COA). It was explained to me that it's a little bit easier to take out more than give back, but either is definitely doable.

I looked at my financial aid package last night. At MSU, my tuition rate is $29,804 year one. If I'm being offered $40,500 in Federal loans, I'm pretty much going to have to take out the full amount I think, even if I have an ok little savings after this summer of working. I was also offered $5,100 of GradPLUS loans as part of my package but not planning to pursue those at this time I don't think. Seeing those numbers in person makes me glad that I'm working this summer and that I'm hoping to work ~5 hours a week in school.

Does anyone know if vet schools will retract your admission? I had a... pretty rough semester to say the least. Pneumonia, multiple rounds of bronchitis. ER visits, Urgent care multiple times. My semester gpa is looking at a 3.08. They said that all I need to do is pass physics (which I am), but should I be worried?

Does anyone know if vet schools will retract your admission? I had a... pretty rough semester to say the least. Pneumonia, multiple rounds of bronchitis. ER visits, Urgent care multiple times. My semester gpa is looking at a 3.08. They said that all I need to do is pass physics (which I am), but should I be worried?
Nope. As long as you do not get lower than the C required for pre reqs, you are safe.

Looolll Egg, you gotta chill. You literally just have to get a C in your pre-reqs. You could fail everything else and get that C and still have an acceptance. Getting a B average (I'm giggling at your gpa to the second digit btw) is most def not a cause for retraction.

Reactions: 6 users
Nope. As long as you do not get lower than the C required for pre reqs, you are safe.
woo! Yeah my one pre req left, physics 2, I went into the final knowing that even if I didn't take it, I would have a C. If I got a 7% on it, I'd get a B. So yay! Vet school!
Looolll Egg, you gotta chill. You literally just have to get a C in your pre-reqs. You could fail everything else and get that C and still have an acceptance. Getting a B average (I'm giggling at your gpa to the second digit btw) is most def not a cause for retraction.
Ahh.... okay... I've just heard horror stories of schools retracting admission and I got scared. My semesterly GPA has never been this low, so I kinda just needed some reassurance.. :eggface:

woo! Yeah my one pre req left, physics 2, I went into the final knowing that even if I didn't take it, I would have a C. If I got a 7% on it, I'd get a B. So yay! Vet school!

Ahh.... okay... I've just heard horror stories of schools retracting admission and I got scared. My semesterly GPA has never been this low, so I kinda just needed some reassurance.. :eggface:
There's always a story about something, I swear. I've heard the same, but the admissions were retracted for something more serious than relaxing (or in your case, having a rough time) during their last semester. Congrats on being done with undergrad! It's a great feeling.

There's always a story about something, I swear. I've heard the same, but the admissions were retracted for something more serious than relaxing (or in your case, having a rough time) during their last semester. Congrats on being done with undergrad! It's a great feeling.
I know! It's so exciting! I'm almost done!!! I have final left, but it's the big one aaaand I have negative motivation to study for it.

lol @ the idea of schools retracting acceptance for a 3.0 in one semester
:oops: I didn't think it was that silly of a concern. I just wasn't sure if I was going to have to explain it. :unsure: I also grew up in a household where B's were unacceptable and C's were unforgivable, so I've been working on... accepting lower grades.

Dude, I failed a class in each of my last two semesters and nobody cared. Also had a couple Cs when I applied. A single 3.0 semester isn't going to mean anything at this point. Breathe, relax, let go of the worries :)

Just hope that you don't have someone like my Physics professor who will give you a letter grade below what you should've gotten due to performance on the final.. :laugh:

I know! It's so exciting! I'm almost done!!! I have final left, but it's the big one aaaand I have negative motivation to study for it.

:oops: I didn't think it was that silly of a concern. I just wasn't sure if I was going to have to explain it. :unsure: I also grew up in a household where B's were unacceptable and C's were unforgivable, so I've been working on... accepting lower grades.
Yep...can relate. I heard the "No daughter of mine gets a B!" more than once. That stuff sticks with you for a lifetime but just know that you are under no obligation to tell anyone your grades.

I just finished undergrad and one of the ways that I celebrated was by taking a guilt free 5 hour nap!!! :clap::soexcited::hardy:

Reactions: 8 users
Graduation was yesterday afternoon...so no longer an undergrad and not a vet student until August. I'm a nothing...kinda nice to be a nothing.

Reactions: 7 users
Graduation was yesterday afternoon...so no longer an undergrad and not a vet student until August. I'm a nothing...kinda nice to be a nothing.
Same but then you look at the thousands of new 2022 threads popping up and you feel like OH I SHOULD BE DOING SOMETHING PRODUCTIVE AND WORRYING ABOUT STUFF

Same but then you look at the thousands of new 2022 threads popping up and you feel like OH I SHOULD BE DOING SOMETHING PRODUCTIVE AND WORRYING ABOUT STUFF

If you need something to do, you can always read these articles for me and give me a summary of what they say. Then I don't have to read them,

If you need something to do, you can always read these articles for me and give me a summary of what they say. Then I don't have to read them,
I'm looking for a summer job!!! Pay me and I'll do it (^:

I start full-time as a tech at the clinic I've interned at the past three years on Monday. She doesn't have a receptionist so we all run back and forth between doing reception, answering the phones, assisting the vet, and other tech stuff. And I'm a little nervous that my multitasking skills won't be up to par. :oops: Trying to prepare myself for that huge learning curve but also trying to enjoy my last two days of relaxation.

Psssh no way. I'm enjoying the peace while it lasts. 2022ers can have fun stressing this summer, I sure won't be!

Reactions: 2 users
Same boat, man. About a million things I would rather be doing right now.