Class of 2021 . . . how ya doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I can't believe I only have two more weeks of classes before finals and graduation. I've wanted this degree for the past 10 years and I'm so glad I'm finally getting it :D. Then I can enjoy my lazy summer before the craziness begins...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 10 users
Woooooo Cigna is going to cover all my rabies vaccinations!

Reactions: 3 users
Where are the waitlist survivors? Anyone else's plans for the summer change?

Members don't see this ad :)
I received my financial aid package yesterday from K-State o_O this is really starting to sink in especially with the amount of loans I was offered! Has anyone else thought about the amount of loans they are going to take out for the first year?

I received my financial aid package yesterday from K-State o_O this is really starting to sink in especially with the amount of loans I was offered! Has anyone else thought about the amount of loans they are going to take out for the first year?

I need to cover about 10k according to the school. Debating whether I reeeally have to take that out (probably only a half but I'd really rather spare myself the loan ya know).

But better to be comfy first year and adjust accordingly/give back what I don't use

Yes, thankfully my husband should be earning enough to cover living expenses, but I'm wondering how much I should put toward tuition. I don't want to have nothing in the bank in case something happens, although financial aid would probably be better if I was more broke lol.

I would suggest estimating your budget as best as you can and then going a little higher than you think you'll need because you never know what's going to come up. For me it made more sense to have extra to give back (even with the fee not being refunded) than to be in a situation where I needed to take out more partway through the semester. You can do the latter but I believe it takes some time.

But I'm no financial guru, that's just what worked for me! After the first year you'll probably have a better idea of how much you'll need for subsequent years, though there will probably always be unexpected expenses.

Reactions: 1 user
It's taking a lot of pep talking to get myself to finish this semester with my usual "oompf". Anyone else feeling this way? But when May 2nd comes, it'll be summer and this will be the first summer in four years I haven't taken any classes. Yiiippppeee!!

Reactions: 6 users
It's taking a lot of pep talking to get myself to finish this semester with my usual "oompf". Anyone else feeling this way? But when May 2nd comes, it'll be summer and this will be the first summer in four years I haven't taken any classes. Yiiippppeee!!

A whole summer with no classes, whatever will you do with yourself wally

Reactions: 1 users
I found that every class after I got accepted was just about impossible to get through/care about. I'm actually still fairly motivated for this semester, but I think it's because I put a ton of work on myself at the front end of the semester so I wouldn't have too much to worry about at the back end of the semester. It also helps that I took a big break this past week and a half to recharge.

You've got one last push before you can take a nice relaxing summer though! I wish I was done on the 2nd, but I have another week after that and then I'm off scott free*!

*for like two weeks before I'm sure I'll have something important I have to get to doing

Reactions: 2 users
A whole summer with no classes, whatever will you do with yourself wally

Wally's Ideal Summer:
Start running again! Try to make my "dog yard" look more like a normal lawn. Set my spare bedroom up as an office. Play with my dogs. Drink mimosas and other tasty beverages. Get my wisdom teeth out (not ideal but has to happen). And like 10000000 other things. SUMMER!

Wally's Ideal Summer:
Start running again! Try to make my "dog yard" look more like a normal lawn. Set my spare bedroom up as an office. Play with my dogs. Drink mimosas and other tasty beverages. Get my wisdom teeth out (not ideal but has to happen). And like 10000000 other things. SUMMER!

C'mon y'all, party at Wally's let's gooooo

I found that every class after I got accepted was just about impossible to get through/care about. I'm actually still fairly motivated for this semester, but I think it's because I put a ton of work on myself at the front end of the semester so I wouldn't have too much to worry about at the back end of the semester. It also helps that I took a big break this past week and a half to recharge.

You've got one last push before you can take a nice relaxing summer though! I wish I was done on the 2nd, but I have another week after that and then I'm off scott free*!

*for like two weeks before I'm sure I'll have something important I have to get to doing

I also pushed really hard the beginning of the semester with the thought of thinking about needing to re-apply and keeping my last 36/45 high. Then, yeah, sorta lost the motivation. I'll end with 3 A's and one class that could be an A if I really give it my all, or a B if I keep down the path I'm going. Like this weekend, I did all the things except studying. Slept in, played with my dog, napped, watched Netflix. It was bad. One more push! We can doooo it!

Members don't see this ad :)
C'mon y'all, party at Wally's let's gooooo

I literally woke up today and thought about how good a mimosa and brunch sounded, but ended up grocery shopping and making my own breakfast sans mimosa.

I just had this worry that maybe I'm not supposed to say that word. Haaaalp.

I'm feeling exactly the same way. Currently trying to finish making flashcards for a biochem exam on Tuesday followed by the exam on Thursday (she decided to change the exam date to five days earlier last minute...is this even legal? :yeahright:)

I lost my motivation earlier in the semester than usual and it's been difficult to trudge through these last few weeks. I'll be working at the clinic this summer but I'm just happy to have no classes or GRE to study for this time around.

Wally's Ideal Summer:
Getting wisdom teeth out is gross, I'm sorry you have to do that. Maybe if you practice your running enough you'll be fast enough to run away from the dental surgeon though.

I'm feeling exactly the same way. Currently trying to finish making flashcards for a biochem exam on Tuesday followed by the exam on Thursday (she decided to change the exam date to five days earlier last minute...is this even legal? :yeahright:)

I lost my motivation earlier in the semester than usual and it's been difficult to trudge through these last few weeks. I'll be working at the clinic this summer but I'm just happy to have no classes or GRE to study for this time around.
For what it's worth, professors generally aren't allowed/supposed to change things around from how they were organized in the syllabus without giving you all a decent amount of notice. Not that this always happens, but it's supposed to help prevent the class from dealing with very last-minute changes unannounced.

Ouch. I'm sorry your exam got moved up. I'm sure a lot of your were counting on those extra 5 days to prepare! Just think ... do the time now and then you can really feel good about relaxing this summer. Posting on here/saying it "out loud" helped me get back into the zone one more study sesh tonight.

For what it's worth, professors generally aren't allowed/supposed to change things around from how they were organized in the syllabus without giving you all a decent amount of notice. Not that this always happens, but it's supposed to help prevent the class from dealing with very last-minute changes unannounced.
The professor had originally scheduled our exam for dead week. One of my classmates emailed her and told her we weren't allowed to have exams during dead week (not really sure about the accuracy of this statement either, though). Hence, the sudden change. It's just a big mess that I'm too lazy to do anything about. :p

Ouch. I'm sorry your exam got moved up. I'm sure a lot of your were counting on those extra 5 days to prepare! Just think ... do the time now and then you can really feel good about relaxing this summer. Posting on here/saying it "out loud" helped me get back into the zone one more study sesh tonight.
Very true! We're almost done!

A discrete mimosa is just a screwdriver in a coffee mug

Except instead of champag-nee it's vodka. But if you want to really go low budget just grab a packet of emergen-C and add shmirnoff

Except instead of champag-nee it's vodka. But if you want to really go low budget just grab a packet of emergen-C and add shmirnoff
I just realized I used the wrong discreet in my original post. Dang statistics.

And like I said, more discreet. Fewer people will hear you open a bottle of vodka as opposed to a bottle of champagne ;)

It's less classy, but also it's supposed to be.

Also I would be remiss if I didn't include this gif because of reasons:

ZfLpG.gif

Wally's Ideal Summer:
Start running again! Try to make my "dog yard" look more like a normal lawn. Set my spare bedroom up as an office. Play with my dogs. Drink mimosas and other tasty beverages. Get my wisdom teeth out (not ideal but has to happen).Meet Finn. And like 10000000 other things. SUMMER!

ftfy

I just realized I used the wrong discreet in my original post. Dang statistics.

And like I said, more discreet. Fewer people will hear you open a bottle of vodka as opposed to a bottle of champagne ;)

It's less classy, but also it's supposed to be.

Oh thought you meant like premade. Also this is what I was goin for but I forget what he said, thanks for the cover :thumbup:
Also I would be remiss if I didn't include this gif because of reasons:

ZfLpG.gif

VMH and BoB got me all LOL over here.

Can we all just like, agree to go to the SCAVMA symposium in 2018 and have an SDN meet up?

Reactions: 4 users

I also completely feel the same way you do. I have a biochem test tomorrow and at this point I'm just trying to pass. I have an irrational fear that my acceptance will be revoked because I might make a C in the class, even though the letter says as long as you don't fail any classes you're good :arghh:

I also completely feel the same way you do. I have a biochem test tomorrow and at this point I'm just trying to pass. I have an irrational fear that my acceptance will be revoked because I might make a C in the class, even though the letter says as long as you don't fail any classes you're good :arghh:

Saw Emily and Emily for the usernames, and thought Faith was replying to herself. :rofl:

VMH and BoB got me all LOL over here.

Can we all just like, agree to go to the SCAVMA symposium in 2018 and have an SDN meet up?
It has already been determined this is happening, after 2 years of me petitioning for this.

Reactions: 8 users
Yes everybody go to SAVMA symposium! We'll have a whole SDN crew! :heckyeah:

I'm not sure who else has definitely committed, but @SummerTheLynx and I will be there and that should be enough to convince anyone ;)

I think that's right at the end of my vacation block so maybe I'll join :) Depends on how much time my brother gets off from work to join me on my vacation and where we might go adventuring

Reactions: 5 users
We can do this! My biochem class started off so easy and all of the sudden got ridiculous. We're on cellular respiration and we have to know every tiny detail about all four processes, all reactions with corresponding enzyme and reaction type plus full names of each reactant and product. Information overload will prepare me for vet school, right? :rolleyes:

Saw Emily and Emily for the usernames, and thought Faith was replying to herself. :rofl:
I may not talk to myself on here...but I definitely talk to myself in real life. Who else is going to laugh at your jokes when you live alone? :laugh:

We can do this! My biochem class started off so easy and all of the sudden got ridiculous. We're on cellular respiration and we have to know every tiny detail about all four processes, all reactions with corresponding enzyme and reaction type plus full names of each reactant and product. Information overload will prepare me for vet school, right? :rolleyes:

I may not talk to myself on here...but I definitely talk to myself in real life. Who else is going to laugh at your jokes when you live alone? :laugh:

Mine wasn't super easy in the beginning, but compared to the class now, it was a breeze. Our last exam covered everything from glucose to the pentose phosphate pathway and more. I feel like a part of me just died from taking that test :dead:

Which 4 processes are you referring to? The ones I'm thinking of right now are glycolysis, gluconeogenesis, pyruvate dehydrogenase, TCA, oxphos, and PPP, and that's 6 rxns.

(I've been drowning in biochem for the past two semesters so I'm trying to see what part y'all are on).

Which 4 processes are you referring to? The ones I'm thinking of right now are glycolysis, gluconeogenesis, pyruvate dehydrogenase, TCA, oxphos, and PPP, and that's 6 rxns.

(I've been drowning in biochem for the past two semesters so I'm trying to see what part y'all are on).
In class, she refers to the four main processes as glycolysis, pyruvate processing, TCA, and oxphos. But we did discuss gluconeogenesis too. She likes to jump back and forth between different things and it majorly confuses my brain. Just finished making a giant stack of flash cards and am going to try drawing out the processes on my whiteboard next.

In class, she refers to the four main processes as glycolysis, pyruvate processing, TCA, and oxphos. But we did discuss gluconeogenesis too. She likes to jump back and forth between different things and it majorly confuses my brain. Just finished making a giant stack of flash cards and am going to try drawing out the processes on my whiteboard next.
Ahhh okay! Yeah gluconeogenesis is basically just glycolysis in reverse with 4 different regulate enzymes instead of 3 (thank yo mass action!)

Check youtube! There's a lot of really cool songs/ videos that detail them! We had a test over just glycolysis, gluconeogenesis, pyrivate dehydrogenase complex, and TCA that covered 4-5 weeks worth of material (easily the most detailed test I've taken in my life) and I used YouTube videos to get the pathways down in a jiffy!

My personal favorite:

Also this one which has what looks like 4 friends and a suuuuuuper awkward 5th guy:

Last edited: