Class of 2020 - HPSP Scholarship Applicants (Navy/Army/Air Force)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know any information about reimbursements for laptop rentals / good places to look? Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

USAF didn't take 4 year newly accepted applicants this year. Couldn't even apply.
Wow that's pretty crazy.
I guess with the new AEGD clause, they get their 4 year commitments anyways from the 3 year HPSP kids. Save some money that way.

Members don't see this ad :)
My son applied a little too late for the 4 year Navy HPSP for 2020, and he just got word that he is listed as 2nd place on the alternate list, but they have closed all the slots for this year. They say that he will be considered for the 3 year HPSP for next year and will almost certainly get it, but since we can't afford the tuition, that would mean that he'd have to take out a loan for the first year. We have always thought it better not to borrow money, so here is my question:

Does anyone know if there is any danger that the Navy will not offer the 4 year scholarships next year, as someone mentioned the Air Force did last year?

My son was accepted at Columbia and planned to attend. He was also accepted at two other schools. He has a 3.98 GPA and a 24 DAT. He was captain of the Cross Country/Track team at college for two years and did a bunch of research as well as shadowing.

He is currently thinking of asking Columbia if he can get a deferment for a year, and reapply for the 4 year HPSP. If he can't get the deferment, he is planning to go through the whole application process again. But my main concern is if there is any danger that the Navy will not have any 4 year scholarships available. Does anyone have any insight on that?

Borrowing money for one year is not going to be severely detrimental, so I would just get loans and go with the guaranteed 3 year. He will pay those loans back before he even gets out of the military if I had to guess. Reapplying would be risky, because he isn't even guaranteed the 4 year next year. Only one year of loans means he's doing much better than 95% of his classmates when it comes to debt!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
so I got waitlisted by the Army HPSP in Feb and got the call 2 weeks ago asking if i am still interested in being considered for getting off the waitlist. I replied yes.

However, I felt this is very strange since my recruiter told me the station had one applicant's Army HPSP scholarship taken away since she couldn't get into a US dental school. Yet, I already got accepted into a dental school on Dec 1st and still got waitlisted by the Army. My stats and ECs are okay I got into 2 private schools and 1 public school (that grants in state after a year).

This yields the question mark: Does Army probably guestimate/doubt my commitment to accept and serve the Army if granted the scholarship? or doubt if I just do 4 year and quit to join private dentistry and have no possibility of lifetime commitment?

or if I am purely not good enough, I will accept that.

I am also wondering if the call to check interest of waitlisters go to ALL waitlisters or only the chosen few. If the former, then this will be a long shot.

If I were on an adcom, I wouldn't be so eager to accept an applicant the second time around if they'd already turned the spot down once.

Do you think there is harm in even asking for a deferment?

Do you think there is harm in even asking for a deferment?
I understand the reservations for taking out a bunch of loans, but taking out one year of loans (at Columbia, including cost of living, maybe $130k?) won't be too much of a setback. The "average" dental student debt is ~$250k+, but that includes students who don't have to take out any loans. It's probably closer to $300k+ if you don't include those people. Getting out in 4 years with only $130k in debt and a guaranteed well-paying job to pay that off isn't a bad spot to be in.

Members don't see this ad :)
so I got waitlisted by the Army HPSP in Feb and got the call 2 weeks ago asking if i am still interested in being considered for getting off the waitlist. I replied yes.

However, I felt this is very strange since my recruiter told me the station had one applicant's Army HPSP scholarship taken away since she couldn't get into a US dental school. Yet, I already got accepted into a dental school on Dec 1st and still got waitlisted by the Army. My stats and ECs are okay I got into 2 private schools and 1 public school (that grants in state after a year).

This yields the question mark: Does Army probably guestimate/doubt my commitment to accept and serve the Army if granted the scholarship? or doubt if I just do 4 year and quit to join private dentistry and have no possibility of lifetime commitment?

or if I am purely not good enough, I will accept that.

I am also wondering if the call to check interest of waitlisters go to ALL waitlisters or only the chosen few. If the former, then this will be a long shot.

That was probably my scholarship, I singed my papers declining on Thursday last week...

Yeah, my recruiter mentioned that the number of scholarships will be in the "teens" so it's definitely going to be difficult to get one. I earned a 25AA and 25TS on the DAT but my GPA is only 3.72. I definitely know my stats are beatable but my recruiter said it's definitetly worth shooting for and worst case scenario my application can be rolled over to the 3-year HPSP which the AF has around 50-60 so my odds would definitely increase. I'll just have to stay optimistic and hope I land one of those two.
So did you commit to the Army or the Air Force?

Reactions: 1 user
Did anyone else not receive commissioning documents yet? I have received my Final Selection Letter but am still waiting on those documents and school is starting in less than 2 weeks... Just as a background, I was selected for the Navy HPSP on June 8th

Did anyone else not receive commissioning documents yet? I have received my Final Selection Letter but am still waiting on those documents and school is starting in less than 2 weeks... Just as a background, I was selected for the Navy HPSP on June 8th

There's no money right now. Probably means the Navy will retroactively pay your first semester once you commission.

Looks like you're a medical student. Maybe you can try asking other folks on the hpsp facebook page; they seem kinda active to me.

Like vellnueve said, you won't have to worry about your fees since navy would pay them retroactively.
However, your stipend won't be paid to you retroactively. Stipend are paid out bimonthly; so if your benefit start date is two weeks after you start school then you will miss two weeks worth of stipend so budget accordingly. Your reimbursement is still okay as long as you keep it within 90 days of your benefit start date.

Unfortunately there's no way to speed up the scroll process. But once you get it, sign all your stuff asap because your stipend depends on it.

As they would say, "hurry up and wait"

Is there anyone out there who was put on OML for the 4 year scholarship who is still waiting to see if they get it this year. I'm just dying still waiting. I know a lot of people have declined their original offer to go with the navy or in state tuition, but I haven't seen anyone get selected to fill those spots.

Is there anyone out there who was put on OML for the 4 year scholarship who is still waiting to see if they get it this year. I'm just dying still waiting. I know a lot of people have declined their original offer to go with the navy or in state tuition, but I haven't seen anyone get selected to fill those spots.

you are referring to Army Correct? if so, I am in the same boat. didn't hear a beat. did you receive a call from your recruiter confirming your continuing interest?

you are referring to Army Correct? if so, I am in the same boat. didn't hear a beat. did you receive a call from your recruiter confirming your continuing interest?
Yeah, army. And yes, I got that call about 3 and 1/2 weeks ago. You?

For everyone who is trying to get their CAC: be sure to only get the actual CAC and not the (older) green IRR ID. If you go to DEERS/RAPIDS and are only eligible for an ID, then call MODS and they will refer you to someone who will change your status. Then you can get a CAC which you'll need for BOLC :D

Army HPSP

If you check the thread you can see that both the army and navy had around a 3.7 GPA and 21 DAT. I assume your recruiter is starting you with a 3 year HPSP since you already will be in school this fall. It takes about a year to apply and get board selected. There are no 2 or 1 year HPSP's.

Army HPSP
The stats aren't that high. This thread is a small sample size. The stats he/she gave are competitive.

Yeah, army. And yes, I got that call about 3 and 1/2 weeks ago. You?
I think I am on the same boat with you guys.
I got several calls in June and asked for interesting for military, I said yes, but just dont have any offer yet.
Then two days after the last call from Army, I got accepted by a dental school..... (=_=)|||
I called back immediately, but they said my current status is Order of Merit List.
May I ask the chance of being pulled out from the OML? Is it gonna be slim since it is toward end of cycle?
ps do they rank candidates just based on stats? I truly hope the LOA can be taken to consideration.

Dude that's the thing, we don't really know! I am under the impression that there were about 20 scholarships that were not accepted. That means those should go to the people on OML. But no one has any time frame for when those will be offered. At least I haven't been able to find out from my recruiter.

Dude that's the thing, we don't really know! I am under the impression that there were about 20 scholarships that were not accepted. That means those should go to the people on OML. But no one has any time frame for when those will be offered. At least I haven't been able to find out from my recruiter.

Thank you boshwag. Since my school has already started, I guess I need to get some loan first in order to pay the summer tuition.
Hope they can reimburse this part....

Same for me. I'm at OU, and we started June 13th. They told me that they will reimburse all tuition and fees, they just won't back pay the stipend. You only get that when you commission.

Same for me. I'm at OU, and we started June 13th. They told me that they will reimburse all tuition and fees, they just won't back pay the stipend. You only get that when you commission.

so in our cases the actual stipend is less than 48months for 4years program, right?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using SDN mobile

Well yeah, it would be from the time we commission to the time we graduate and begin active duty as captain.

I think I am on the same boat with you guys.
I got several calls in June and asked for interesting for military, I said yes, but just dont have any offer yet.
Then two days after the last call from Army, I got accepted by a dental school..... (=_=)|||
I called back immediately, but they said my current status is Order of Merit List.
May I ask the chance of being pulled out from the OML? Is it gonna be slim since it is toward end of cycle?
ps do they rank candidates just based on stats? I truly hope the LOA can be taken to consideration.

hey congratz on getting accepted to dental school finally.

that is one hell of a wait to wait until June. You will become a dentist, which is the most important thing.

but I understand how you still hope for army if your school is exorbitantly expensive.

hey congratz on getting accepted to dental school finally.

that is one hell of a wait to wait until June. You will become a dentist, which is the most important thing.

but I understand how you still hope for army if your school is exorbitantly expensive.
Ty ice cream. The waiting almost killed me…The tuition is relatively high for my school. finally it may lead to 360k loan in total, which is acceptable for me. The other reasons of going to army are the matching rate of specialty and also the experience of military life.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using SDN mobile

The stats aren't that high. This thread is a small sample size. The stats he/she gave are competitive.

Ha. If we knew the actual statistics then nobody would be posting on SDN asking "What are my chances?". Of course this is a small sample size but it's still gives a perspective of who's getting the scholarship and who's not.

Army HPSP

My recruiter called me a couple weeks ago and told me I was board selected in June, and that it would just be a couple days for the scroll to come through. It's been a few weeks now. Anyone know how long it usually takes?

Can anyone confirm if laptop rentals are still covered? I looked on my CDW and it stated that the rental is not authorized for my year group.

Can anyone confirm if laptop rentals are still covered? I looked on my CDW and it stated that the rental is not authorized for my year group.

Yes, the Army does allow for laptop rental ($500.00 per ACADEMIC year). My guess is that you probably jumped the gun and submitted the CDW within the same academic year as the last time you were reimbursed. That is just an educated guess.

Questions like this are best handled by calling the HPSP office at 877-MED-ARMY. While a lot of the posters on SDN are very knowledgeable - and I defer to them a whole lot, the way your questions are worded can lead to misperceptions by others and can further lead to incorrect answers.

This is my first CDW and my first year in the program but I will take it up with MODS.

Thanks
Yes, the Army does allow for laptop rental ($500.00 per ACADEMIC year). My guess is that you probably jumped the gun and submitted the CDW within the same academic year as the last time you were reimbursed. That is just an educated guess.

Questions like this are best handled by calling the HPSP office at 877-MED-ARMY. While a lot of the posters on SDN are very knowledgeable - and I defer to them a whole lot, the way your questions are worded can lead to misperceptions by others and can further lead to incorrect answers.

Anyone is selected from OML?
Wondering when is the gonna be the last call of this this cycle

Has anyone that boarded for the navy on August 1st received the stipend or even the edu action account from BUMED?

Has anyone that boarded for the navy on August 1st received the stipend or even the edu action account from BUMED?

Nope, I am hoping for September 1st. Don't know what the edu action account is

Nope, I am hoping for September 1st. Don't know what the edu action account is
*Education account.. I think we receive some kind of login information/ military email in order to correspond with the navy. But i could be wrong.

*Education account.. I think we receive some kind of login information/ military email in order to correspond with the navy. But i could be wrong.

I'm also not very informed, but I believe that is once we go on active duty. I received a call from accessions asking me to set up a personal email for communication because they did not want to use my school email.