BOTH Class of 2018 Study Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ortnakas

DO
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A lot of us loved our study thread for Step 1, so why not recreate it for Step 2?

I know we won't be thinking hardcore about USMLE/COMLEX until next spring/summer, but figured we could use this for strategizing now, and for shelf exams too.

Paging: @W19 @gobigorgohome22 @Entadus @Ibn Alnafis MD @AlgernonMed @TheShaker @Mad Jack @NontradCA

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 8 users
Hope its okay to chime in this go around for Step 2/Level 2 study thread- I read most of last year's study thread without posting much. Took a little while to catch up on all the posts so far- to all of y'all who are almost done with UWorld, nicely done! And the +60% overall percentages are pretty darn impressive.

Reactions: 2 users
Hope its okay to chime in this go around for Step 2/Level 2 study thread- I read most of last year's study thread without posting much. Took a little while to catch up on all the posts so far- to all of y'all who are almost done with UWorld, nicely done! And the +60% overall percentages are pretty darn impressive.
Of course it's okay to chime in. We're all in this together and the more, the merrier.

Reactions: 1 users
WOO. Passed the COMLEX PE. I'm so glad I won't have to shell out another $2000 for that lovely experience. haha...

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Good job! Was it as scary as school administrations make it sound?
haha no way. My admins actually told me that I was at "high risk" to fail since I ran out of time on my last OSCE 9 months ago....I was cutting it really close by thinking I could adjust my timing by one minute in that 9 month period....probably should've taken their advice to postpone it another 9 months, JUST IN CASE......

Reactions: 1 user
Do people usually take PE in 3rd year? I'm taking my CS early 4th year but thinking about doing it 3rd year to get it out of the way.

Lot of people take PE 3rd yr.
I'd recommend getting CS out of the way 3rd yr if you can. Both exams dont really require much studying and having it done 3rd yr means you dont have to worry about it during interview season. Also, (hopefully not) If you fail, you have time to get it done before graduation/match.

IM NBME shelf tomorrow... ugh. There's so much that could be on it I don't even know what to cram. Consoling myself with thoughts of tacos tomorrow and a study-free weekend.

WOO. Passed the COMLEX PE. I'm so glad I won't have to shell out another $2000 for that lovely experience. haha...

Congrats!

IM NBME shelf tomorrow... ugh. There's so much that could be on it I don't even know what to cram. Consoling myself with thoughts of tacos tomorrow and a study-free weekend.
Congrats!
I felt like the IM shelf was better than the FM shelf...if that can give you any solace....Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

Congrats!

All you SHOULD be doing is relaxing before tomorrow! I wish the day before a shelf didn't always feel like a cardiac stress test!

Good Luck!

What's everyone using to study for Step 2 besides uworld?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

OME (during rotations as a base for shelf exams only)
MTB step 2
UW x 1 (making Anki cards)
Combank x 1-2 (or however much I can get through in the last 4 weeks)

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got my PE exam switched from August to May which I am pretty happy about, now I dont have to leave my audition rotation to take the thing, but I am nervous about moving it so much closer. What resources or practice methods are some of you using for the PE, I rarely hear this talked about?

For the CE and step 2 I have been using Combank and Kaplan questions, will start Uworld in April after I finish my other qbanks. I read MTB step 2 and didnt get anything out of it, read FA step 2 and thought it was alright so I will probably read it again, likely go back through my pathoma stuff to refresh pathophysiology. I will also look for a seperate neuro resouce as I havent rotated through that and I am reasonably weak there.

Anyone mind sharing their IM UWorld score and what they subsequently got in the IM shelf exam... I am really struggling with Uworld IM section; my overall average in Uworld is >60%, but my IM sub-score is really low...

Anyone mind sharing their IM UWorld score and what they subsequently got in the IM shelf exam... I am really struggling with Uworld IM section; my overall average in Uworld is >60%, but my IM sub-score is really low...

56% on UW. I forget my score, but I honored!

Edit.

I was awful at the beginning (40s-50s). Got into the 70s near the end. Did not read SUTM. OME was instrumental in improving my score.

Thankful for this thread.

Current plan for step 2: Reset UW, do incorrects, read FA (9ed), OME (rewatch videos + read notes) Too much?

-Step 2: Mid June
-COMLEX 2: 5 days later
-(I can switch these to later dates, but I will only have 1 day in between... thoughts?)
-PE: Late Sept :(

My last rotation is an elective, so no shelf. I would have just over 3 weeks (dedicated) to study after the end of that rotation. To be on the safe side, I should probably study during that last rotation. I have OB before that, but not sure how much I can get done for step 2.

Low 70s to low 80s on shelves. Would like to get 250+ on step 2 to make up for step 1. Does this plan sound reasonable?

Current plan for step 2: Reset UW, do incorrects, read FA (9ed), OME (rewatch videos + read notes) Too much?

-(I can switch these to later dates, but I will only have 1 day in between... thoughts?)

My last rotation is an elective, so no shelf. I would have just over 3 weeks (dedicated) to study after the end of that rotation. To be on the safe side, I should probably study during that last rotation. I have OB before that, but not sure how much I can get done for step 2.

Low 70s to low 80s on shelves. Would like to get 250+ on step 2 to make up for step 1. Does this plan sound reasonable?

I'm in a similar situation on needing to boost step 2/Level 2 performance. Congrats on already getting through UW! Plan sounds solid. Are you not going to do combank or comquest (not saying it's wrong, I'm just curious)? Also- let me know what you think of adding a text on top of OME with their notes. I'm going back through OME at the same time as MTB & I am honestly having a hard time finding too big of a difference between the two sources so far that would warrant spending the time on an additional resources (only done endocrine & pulm so far).

I redid my wrong answers and don't have my shelf score back yet, so I can't help much. My advice is to take one of the NBMEs for $20... they've helped me get ready before. I thought their questions felt more like the real thing than UWorld's. (The NBME slightly under-predicted my score for psych and over-predicted for surgery, but I passed both and neither estimate was terribly off).

Last edited:

Damn you finish uworld 1x already?!

I'm in a very similar position except 2 weeks dedicated for both exams. I also need to do better on 2nd round than 1st round.

I think you need at least 3 days in between the two exams so I would not recommend moving the exams around.

Have you considered adding a COMLEX specific qbank like COMBANK or COMQUEST into the mix?

Damn you finish uworld 1x already?!

I'm in a very similar position except 2 weeks dedicated for both exams. I also need to do better on 2nd round than 1st round.

I think you need at least 3 days in between the two exams so I would not recommend moving the exams around.

Have you considered adding a COMLEX specific qbank like COMBANK or COMQUEST into the mix?

@KP2AZ

-Oops. I still have to finish psych and OB psych UW, which are my next rotations.
-Probs using FA instead of MTB as my textbook in addition to OME
-Currently not considering a COMLEX specific qbank. Since I have some time in between, I might buy one to get use to the questions. Even then....

I currently have my PE scheduled for July as well as my CE. I was wanting to move my PE back, possibly spring 4th year. so I could use July to focus on the CE. Is waiting until January 4th year to take PE a bad idea? Will residencies want to see that pass on the PE for ranking and match? Thanks!

I currently have my PE scheduled for July as well as my CE. I was wanting to move my PE back, possibly spring 4th year. so I could use July to focus on the CE. Is waiting until January 4th year to take PE a bad idea? Will residencies want to see that pass on the PE for ranking and match? Thanks!

Just my opinion: I know people who took it fall of fourth year, but pushing it back to winter is probably risky. Residencies might want to see you passed. And if god forbid you fail and have to retake, you might have a hard time retaking it before rank lists get submitted or even before graduation since dates fill up.

PE is definitely not a requirement for interviews. However some programs require it for ranking (in February). A lot of programs only require prior to starting your residency. Personally, I'm taking it in September. Ideally, I want to take it in August, but not any time before that because I don't want to disrupt my CE/CK studying time.

PE is definitely not a requirement for interviews. However some programs require it for ranking (in February). A lot of programs only require prior to starting your residency. Personally, I'm taking it in September. Ideally, I want to take it in August, but not any time before that because I don't want to disrupt my CE/CK studying time.

So you would rather take PE during audition rotations? I was considering that as well but I thought preparing for it/taking it would distract me from an audition. On another note, how are you preparing for the PE?

So you would rather take PE during audition rotations? I was considering that as well but I thought preparing for it/taking it would distract me from an audition. On another note, how are you preparing for the PE?
Yeah, I'd much rather risk not shining on an audition than ruin my dedicated study time for CK/CE.

My friends who took and passed PE said they prepped for it over the weekend leading to the test. I would probably start preparing a week ahead. Few hours each night of the week then go hard on the weekend. I think this should be sufficient.

Its so awesome to see 4th yrs matching this week!

BUT It has increased my stress level for some reason. In <1yr, we'll be in the same position and I feel like im not ready for that at all.

Reactions: 4 users
Im a year out from clerkships and don't really know how to study. Been reading Step 2 secrets and case files books.

Question for you all, I'm taking Step 2 and Comlex 2 and I'm ironing out a study plan for these last few months. Is it feasible to get a really good score using

Step up to medicine
Uworld
MTB
Combank
Savarese.

These would be my main sources and I would use extra supplementary ones like Case Files Internal Medicine/First Aid for Psych/Pestana if needed.

I did not like how Comlex 1 turned out for me (wrong choice of materials/fatigue during the exam). and want to really kill these tests ( as nonviolently and patient friendly as possible). I plan to take the Comlex 2 midJuly(signed up) and the Step 2 around that date.

I want to apply FM/IM in the NorthEast possibly specializing into Pulm/Critical Care or Infectious Disease if I go IM.

Should I start abusing caffeine products (like monster etc...) in order to study? I am usually wiped out by the time I got off my IM clerkship. I have to be there at 7 am and usually get off by 5 pm. I have only done 200 Uworld questions so far.

How do people find the time to study since clerkships take a lot out of you? I want to crush the IM shelf because most people have told me if you crush that shelf, you are almost ready for step2 CK.

Last edited:
Question for you all, I'm taking Step 2 and Comlex 2 and I'm ironing out a study plan for these last few months. Is it feasible to get a really good score using

Step up to medicine
Uworld
MTB
Combank
Savarese.

These would be my main sources and I would use extra supplementary ones like Case Files Internal Medicine/First Aid for Psych/Pestana if needed.

I did not like how Comlex 1 turned out for me (wrong choice of materials/fatigue during the exam). and want to really kill these tests ( as nonviolently and patient friendly as possible). I plan to take the Comlex 2 midJuly(signed up) and the Step 2 around that date.

I want to apply FM/IM in the NorthEast possibly specializing into Pulm/Critical Care or Infectious Disease if I go IM.

Looks pretty solid. I guess figure out how you are gonna do SUTM + MTB (sub out the IM section in MTB for SUTM ?) And what order you will do the question banks in, and if u repeat one...which one will it be?

Looks pretty solid. I guess figure out how you are gonna do SUTM + MTB (sub out the IM section in MTB for SUTM ?) And what order you will do the question banks in, and if u repeat one...which one will it be?

Thats what I figured. SUTM looks more comprehensive for IM where I can pick up points. MTB has everything else. Ive done Combank and Uworld for each of my COMATS. I plan on redoing UWorld questions and reviewing the COMBANK ones.

Took my first practice test yesterday

- Step 1: 222s
- COMATs/Shelfs = all H (thus far)
- UWSA # 1: 200 (2.5 months out)

Decided to take practice test since im about 50% done w/ uworld. This is a little scary...

Last edited:
Took my first practice test yesterday

- Step 1: 222s
- COMATs/Shelfs = all H (thus far)
- UWSA # 1: 200 (2.5 months out)

Decided to take practice test since im about 50% done w/ uworld. This is a little scary...
Not a wise move, IMO. You should've waited until you were done with UW to get a better assessment and to cover most of testable material. Hopefully this experience didn't make a dent in your confidence.

What is your UW Qbank average?

Not a wise move, IMO. You should've waited until you were done with UW to get a better assessment and to cover most of testable material. Hopefully this experience didn't make a dent in your confidence.

What is a "good" UW qbank average if you want a 250+ on STEP 2?

2 1/2 months-- you're taking Step 2 pretty early! Are you all done with shelf exams?

I'll be done with shelfs in 2 months. I will have 2 weeks dedicated for both STEP and Level 2

Uworld avg 66%.

What is a "good" UW qbank average if you want a 250+ on STEP 2?

I don't know. It seems that UW averages have better correlation for step1 than CK. However, based on the numerous posts I read, a commutative average of 70% or above correlates to 240+. Of course, YMMV!

I don't know. It seems that UW averages have better correlation for step1 than CK. However, based on the numerous posts I read, a commutative average of 70% or above correlates to 240+. Of course, YMMV!
I am screwed then. My average is in the low 60s now and trying my hardest for it not to drop below 60%. My goal for step2 is 240+... It does not seem that will happen.

I am screwed then. My average is in the low 60s now and trying my hardest for it not to drop below 60%. My goal for step2 is 240+... It does not seem that will happen.
My average is in the 60's too. It worries me, but I've also seen posts by people who scored well on step2 despite a low UW. If UW your primary source of preparation, then you shouldn't worry too much. That's what I've been told. Just do your best and hope for things to fall in place.

Think I'm going to take step 2 on 4/19. I have a really easy next 4 weeks followed by a longish family rotation for 8. I'd get much more study time now. I've been rocking my comats. Does y'alls school give you a scaled score or your actual % correct? Ours is a scaled one but still out of 100 so need a 75 to pass and 92+ gets you honors.

Think I'm going to take step 2 on 4/19. I have a really easy next 4 weeks followed by a longish family rotation for 8. I'd get much more study time now. I've been rocking my comats. Does y'alls school give you a scaled score or your actual % correct? Ours is a scaled one but still out of 100 so need a 75 to pass and 92+ gets you honors.

How is your UW average? And by killing COMAT, you mean honoring all of them? Any other sources besides UW?

My school gives us the number that NBOME reports. 100 is median with 10 being STDV. 110+ is Honor.

Our school is ridiculous. You need 110+ for Honors, but that's just one criteria, and usually the easier one to get. You also need all "exceeds expectations" on your eval, and we have attendings who straight up go "it's impossible to get all exceeds, even I am not exceeding" and it's like... bro I asked you about my performance mid-rotation and you had no criticisms! /rant

For those of you using MTB, what do you think of the massive amount of material left out? I've been using it lightly for awhile and can't decide if I should just switch to FA. MTB seems to be missing a ton of important topics.

For those of you using MTB, what do you think of the massive amount of material left out? I've been using it lightly for awhile and can't decide if I should just switch to FA. MTB seems to be missing a ton of important topics.

I feel you on that. I'm replacing MTB's IM section with Step Up to Medicine, then doing all the smaller subjects with MTB.

More power to you if that works. Is it a particularly difficult FM rotation that is a major time commitment (more than just 9 to 5)?