Class of 2018...how you doin? ;)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Filled out my NAVLE applications today. So much money...gone... I can't believe it's already almost time for the Big Test! Where did the time go!?
Ew I have to do that soon...

But I don't wanna say goodbye to ~$700 :(

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
My first patient on my first ever shift for my emergency rotation last night was a 7 week old fennec fox :D It was adorable.
OMG, SO CUTE!!! I can already tell your ER night was better than mine haha.

I wish VIRMP would put up the new match schedule! It's definitely mid-summer!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Ah the match schedule went up! I just had to openly complain about it for them to do it ;)

Reactions: 2 users
Another rotation in the books. Can't say I loved necropsy, but I didn't dislike it as much as I thought I would and I learned a lot! Made me very thankful for all the vets out there that want to do this on the daily. I'm definitely open to doing necropsies once I'm out and about--especially the exotics! So much to learn about their anatomy! Onward to the next rotation! 2 months until vacation! I can also taste it...!

Officially half-way through rotations!!!

:soexcited:

Reactions: 6 users
GUYS I passed all my finals and a week from now I'll be in the car driving to Auburn for clinics! Woooo!

Reactions: 8 users
GUYS I passed all my finals and a week from now I'll be in the car driving to Auburn for clinics! Woooo!
Ahhhh congrats!!!!!!

What's your first rotation? You're going to be great!

This is the first weekend in a long, long time that I don't have to go take care of patients, don't have to take transfers, and don't have to be on call. So much glorious sleep is going to happen over the next 48 hours. :love:

Reactions: 5 users
Just checking in with my fellow 2018ers to say hello and ask how things are going. Hope that clinics are treating you well :) Ready for the NAVLE in a few months? ;)

Things are going well! I love clinics so much more than any of the previous 3 years. Of course, I say that right before I go into ECC on Monday...ha! Still chugging away at NAVLE studying. I'm about 35% on VetPrep. I plan on taking a NBVME practice test in late September when I'm on vacation to see where I stand.

Just checking in with my fellow 2018ers to say hello and ask how things are going. Hope that clinics are treating you well :) Ready for the NAVLE in a few months? ;)
I'm in a bit of a senoritis rut... I'm pretty burnout :oops:

And considering I hit 2% on vetprep today... no I'm not ready! haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dang @epivetlove you are cruisin! I just got to 24% tonight, just trying to keep up with where it says everyone else is haha. But 4th year is great! I have my first large animal rotation starting Monday though so we'll see how that goes..... So far from a large animal person :rolleyes: I've been at UPenn the past 2 weeks and it's very different being in a hospital in a big city environment but I love cities! Reminiscent of my undergrad days :)

I'm in a bit of a senoritis rut... I'm pretty burnout :oops:

And considering I hit 2% on vetprep today... no I'm not ready! haha.

I'm only at 8% on Zuku and most of that progress is from when I was on radiology a month ago.

Loved my ophtho rotation. Residents were awesome! My cataract surgery patient ended up being complicated and we had to talk to imed. The ophtho resident was pretty hands off about the imed portion and went with what I came up with after we talked to imed. Client called in with questions the day after discharge and the resident just handed the phone to me.

ECC now. We ended up diverting to our Dublin location last night as the ICU was full. Had a cool suspect FCE today that was already getting better. We're off diversion now and had some funny 'just kidding' cases.

If it makes you all feel any better I got up to like 15% at 2 weeks before my exam and powered through to 50% by test day. It was insanity, but I passed. (Also did a practice NVBME test - highly recommended, pretty accurate and kicked my butt into gear since the low end of it's predicted score for me was barely passing)

If it makes you all feel any better I got up to like 15% at 2 weeks before my exam and powered through to 50% by test day. It was insanity, but I passed. (Also did a practice NVBME test - highly recommended, pretty accurate and kicked my butt into gear since the low end of it's predicted score for me was barely passing)
Am definitely going to do this, perhaps twice. Was planning on the first round @ the end of September.

I officially have a date for doomsday... Nov 13th! :eek:

December 6th for me, during a vacation block. Much later than y'all :(

Y'all, clinics finally got me trippin'. Had the overnight emergency shift last night/morning (12am-8am), so little sleep was to be had. Still haven't fully adjusted back to a day schedule. after coming off nights on ER. Running a bit ragged, to say the least. Got home today and fell asleep around 5pm...woke up less than 2 hours later and 100% believed I had slept more than 12 hours and that I was late for my morning treatments. I think my heart was in my butt as I scrambled to get dressed. It took me about 10 minutes to figure out it was still Thursday, not Friday. :hilarious:

Oh man...come on vacation. :zombie:

Y'all, clinics finally got me trippin'. Had the overnight emergency shift last night/morning (12am-8am), so little sleep was to be had. Still haven't fully adjusted back to a day schedule. after coming off nights on ER. Running a bit ragged, to say the least. Got home today and fell asleep around 5pm...woke up less than 2 hours later and 100% believed I had slept more than 12 hours and that I was late for my morning treatments. I think my heart was in my butt as I scrambled to get dressed. It took me about 10 minutes to figure out it was still Thursday, not Friday. :hilarious:

Oh man...come on vacation. :zombie:

I also struggled coming off emergency. I lucked out with my schedule and was gradually taken to overnights over the two weeks. By the end of the rotation I struggled to switch back to days. The first couple days on my current rotation it felt really odd to have even a couple hours of free time after my day would end. I was so used to coming home to essentially go to bed

I also struggled coming off emergency. I lucked out with my schedule and was gradually taken to overnights over the two weeks. By the end of the rotation I struggled to switch back to days. The first couple days on my current rotation it felt really odd to have even a couple hours of free time after my day would end. I was so used to coming home to essentially go to bed

Yes, this! I enjoyed night ER more than day, but woof, the hours were rough. I'm back to a pretty solid 7-3 or 7-4 schedule now, except that we get selected to do evening, overnight, or weekend day emergency for the Large Animal Hospital. Thankfully nothing came in on my overnight shift, but it sucked to be at the hospital from 11:30pm yesterday to 4pm today. I wish we could just get called in. :(

Yes, this! I enjoyed night ER more than day, but woof, the hours were rough. I'm back to a pretty solid 7-3 or 7-4 schedule now, except that we get selected to do evening, overnight, or weekend day emergency for the Large Animal Hospital. Thankfully nothing came in on my overnight shift, but it sucked to be at the hospital from 11:30pm yesterday to 4pm today. I wish we could just get called in. :(
So you don't just get called in for emergencies, you have to be at the school in case something comes in???

:barf:

So you don't just get called in for emergencies, you have to be at the school in case something comes in???

:barf:

Yep...all medicine students have to do 3-4 shifts in the hospital and field service students are on call for field...things. Thankfully I only have 1 overnight shift. You also are responsible for treatments every 2 hours, unless you're on the overnight (12a-8a) shift on Sunday to Thursday.

Cooperate and graduate...cooperate and graduate...

Yep...all medicine students have to do 3-4 shifts in the hospital and field service students are on call for field...things. Thankfully I only have 1 overnight shift. You also are responsible for treatments every 2 hours, unless you're on the overnight (12a-8a) shift on Sunday to Thursday.

Cooperate and graduate...cooperate and graduate...
And here I thought we were the only ones with insane overnight ICU shifts for equine/food animal. Yuck to all of us :barf:

And here I thought we were the only ones with insane overnight ICU shifts for equine/food animal. Yuck to all of us :barf:

Our equine emergency rotation is only if we get called in. Food animal med and surgery had their emergency as part of their rotation and it's just on call. The small animal emergency you are scheduled a 10 hour shift and you have to be there the whole time. You also leave at least 2 hours after your shift ends

Our equine emergency rotation is only if we get called in. Food animal med and surgery had their emergency as part of their rotation and it's just on call. The small animal emergency you are scheduled a 10 hour shift and you have to be there the whole time. You also leave at least 2 hours after your shift ends
Ah okay gotcha. Our small animal emergency is similar, and it's nice in the way that emergency is your only rotation when your on it so you work 12-14 hours and go home and put in another shift tomorrow. We have some "emergency on-call" shifts on other rotations (small animal surgeries, ophtho, anesth, etc), but the amount of times you get called in varies.

On the equine and large animal floor, we have emergency on-call shifts, plus ICU shifts (overnight and weekends), depending on which specific rotation you were on. There was a stretch on food animal where I was called in two days in a row late at night on emergency and then had 3 overnight ICU shifts in a row... I literally about died haha.

Yeah, our small animal ER is similar to y'all's. 12 hours shift that often extend to 14-15 hours. I was more likely to leave close to the end of my shift when I was on nights, which is why I liked those shifts...plus, the hospital was nice and quiet.

Large Animal is split into hospital services and field services. Medicine folks stay at the hospital on either 5pm-12am, 12am-8am on weekdays and the same shifts + the 8am-5pm shift on weekends. If you're on any shift other than weekday 12am-8am, you are responsible for ALL treatments, regardless if the patient is yours or not. We have very active equine services (Orthopedic Sx, Sports Medicine, Soft Tissue Sx, Internal Medicine, Community Practice), so there's always a good deal of in-house patients to care for. You're also obviously responsible for helping with any emergencies that come in.

I can't complain though. I got pretty decent shifts and the hardest shift is already over with. Plus, I have vacation in just over a week, so it's not hard to keep a cheerful attitude at this point. :)

First vacation of fourth year! Going to Honduras tomorrow for a few days to visit my fiancé :)

Reactions: 2 users
Finally made it to my my vacation rotation. It was so glorious to sleep in this morning...I can't even remember the last Saturday I was able to do that. Heading to Dallas tomorrow to get my AAZV/ARAV/AEMV Conference on! And next week we go to the State Fair of Texas! My most favoritest tradition. So pumped! :soexcited:

Jealous of everyone's vacations. I won't have a vacation until the week over New Years. Plan to visit a friend from undergrad. Once I told her that she invited a bunch of our friends up for a New Years party. I was told I can bring my dog if I want too rather than leaving her with my grandparents. Really looking forward to it.

Vacation...please never end. :arghh: Though I am excited about my upcoming externship...at least I'm not having to go straight back the teaching hospitals. BUT I still looooove vacation and all the sleeping in. I'll miss it. I'll miss it a lot...

Match stuff is getting so real... Definitely stressing out more about getting LOR writers and deciding where to apply for it than about NAVLE... Which is also scaryyyy! :arghh:

Hopefully I will be grateful later but right now I am really hating having all my "hard ones" within my first few rotations.

Hopefully I will be grateful later but right now I am really hating having all my "hard ones" within my first few rotations.

It will be nice when you get a few months of chill rotations, trust me! I had a bunch of long hours rotations right off the bat but my most recent ones and next few months will be smooth sailing until Anesthesia in late January/early February.

Oh it's awesome later. I started on IM and did basically all the harder rotations in my first third of clinics. Last half of the year was amaaaazing.

Can also confirm having had all my hard rotations first and now I'm just on the downward slide to graduation...it's great! Also, if my externship could just hire me, I'd be so, so happy! :arghh:

Third years officially joined clinics this week.. Holy cow, have I really been in clinics for a whole year now? :eek:

Only 14 weeks left of on-campus rotations (And a little quiz called the NAVLE....) and I WILL BE FREE!!!

Reactions: 5 users
Oh it's awesome later. I started on IM and did basically all the harder rotations in my first third of clinics. Last half of the year was amaaaazing.

So much this. I had all 3 of my IM rotations within the first, oh, 6 rotations. Neuro. Etc. My last few months were all of my externships and an extra ER rotation (which is super chill; at UMN if you do a second ER rotation you pretty much set your own hours) and UMN's spay/neuter rotation and a few other chill stuff.

I highly recommend cranking out the hard/long-hours ones early. :)

I'm new here, but stumbled upon this page frantically looking up internship advice. I've been planning on doing the match, and had a specific program in mind as my top pick. I recently heard from someone I know at that school that they've already offered the spot to one of their own students and will withdraw from the match. Does this happen a lot? I have private practice applications in, but I sort of had my heart set on academic.

I'm new here, but stumbled upon this page frantically looking up internship advice. I've been planning on doing the match, and had a specific program in mind as my top pick. I recently heard from someone I know at that school that they've already offered the spot to one of their own students and will withdraw from the match. Does this happen a lot? I have private practice applications in, but I sort of had my heart set on academic.

Wow that's unfortunate, I'm sorry :\ I'm not sure about the frequency of things like that happening with internships since most are rotating and have several spots. I know it's a real possibility with residency positions.

20 days here...

EJD48.gif