Class of 2018...how you doin? ;)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I started watching Thirteen Reasons Why today, aside from the fact that I have Equine Med final Tuesday and horses are the bane of my academic existence :p

Just skip episode 11 if you want your heart to remain intact :sorry: but I also just watched that during our finals, super addicting
I stayed up to 6am yesterday watching it. Uhhh yeah, the last like, 4 episodes wrecked me.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just skip episode 11 if you want your heart to remain intact :sorry: but I also just watched that during our finals, super addicting

Haha so I'm only 5 episodes in (I think, I don't remember where I left off Saturday) and I did not sleep well Saturday night or last night because of it sooo I've made the executive decision to not watch any more of it until finals are over.

Reactions: 1 user
Haha so I'm only 5 episodes in (I think, I don't remember where I left off Saturday) and I did not sleep well Saturday night or last night because of it sooo I've made the executive decision to not watch any more of it until finals are over.
You have all the will power I wish I had :p when I realized how heartbreaking and also addicting it was I let myself/made myself watch it all in 48 hours so I could just stop thinking about it haha

I read the book a few years ago but haven't seen the show. I thought the book was okay...honestly I don't remember big details just the overarching theme seemed familiar when I first heard about the Netflix series. So idk if I plan to watch it or not.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Got our Orientation packet for the first rotation! Sh*z is getting real! :nailbiting:

Reactions: 2 users
Officially done with vet school exams and school in Grenada! Sixth term slideshow party tonight then I fly out Sunday. So crazy, gonna have to try reeeeal hard to not cry tonight.

Reactions: 1 users
Also now I can officially resume 13 Reasons Why :) One of my close friends totally spoiled a huge event earlier though. Apparently a girl in our class knows one of the guys in the show so we were talking about it and yeah... :rolleyes:

Bought VetPrep today... Can't believe that the NAVLE is already creeping closer :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
I bought it earlier this week. It's kinda fun to see what I've actually retained :p
I already know the answer for a lot of those species questions...

Swine... 0
Equine---0
Poultry... -16

:dead:

I already know the answer for a lot of those species questions...

Swine... 0
Equine---0
Poultry... -16

:dead:
I should have clarified... I've only retained cat/dog knowledge :laugh:

@LetItSnow and I already accumulated a guaranteed pass NAVLE guide a couple months ago... dunno why anyone would even need to spend money on test prep:

:p

Neurological? Rabies. Or some dumb horse disease like EPM.
An exotic? Husbandry be ****ed yo.
Dogs? Read the breed and whatever the common disease is, just go for it.
Cats? Infectious or cancer. Or both.
Pigs it's always salmonella/e. coli until it's not, but it doesn't matter because you treat it with oxytet. Or necropsy.
Cows its whatever the most exotic disease is that's on the list. Probably rinderpest.
Chickens? Marek's.
And just screw sensitivity/specificity questions.

Also don't lie on records. Be a good person.

There you go. Guaranteed NAVLE pass.

Truth. Except they never really asked for a DIAGNOSIS. They always described the signs - or gave you some really awful radiograph that basically looked like a Rorschach test - then said "What do you do?" I got really tired of reading the question, thinking "Hey! I know what this is! Go me!" and then getting to the end and readin

Personally, for chickens I always went with abx in the water, for swine I depopulated, for cows I sent them to slaughter really quickly while they were still walking, for horses and exotics I just laughed, and for cats/dogs I actually answered the question right. I still passed, so the bar must be pretty low.

Stupid NAVLE. As much as I hate alpha wolves..........

Reactions: 3 users
Did my first surgery today and tomorrow I find out where I will be going for clinics!!

Reactions: 6 users
This rotation is giving us Memorial Day off and there's no patient care, so 3 day weekend, hollaaaaa! I'm gonna sleep so much people are gonna start callin' me Rip van Winkle.

This rotation is giving us Memorial Day off and there's no patient care, so 3 day weekend, hollaaaaa! I'm gonna sleep so much people are gonna start callin' me Rip van Winkle.

I'm the opposite. The rotation I'm on gets to work Memorial Day so I have a 3 day weekend on and will likely have to come in to help the techs with patient care if there are a lot of patients. Plus coming in for any emergencies. Will be on the night shift 2 of the 3 days which is going to be rough for me. Luckily have 1 day off between this rotation and when I fly to my next rotation.

Also, this rotation has really messed with my sense of time. I keep thinking today is Saturday

What rotation are you on June 14th? That's when the new interns start orientation / learning hospital systems / working in ER with the outgoing interns... EEEEEP

What rotation are you on June 14th? That's when the new interns start orientation / learning hospital systems / working in ER with the outgoing interns... EEEEEP

I'll be finishing up on Gen Surg! And that's so exciting! Do you know what your rotation schedule is? If you wanna PM it to me, I'd love to see if we have any overlap! Also, if you have any questions about VMIS or the hospital, I can do my best to help out!

GUYS I WILL BE HEADED TO AUBURN IN THE FALL! I am so happy! Any leads on housing let me know haha!

Reactions: 8 users
GUYS I WILL BE HEADED TO AUBURN IN THE FALL! I am so happy! Any leads on housing let me know haha!

Congrats! You're gonna meet so many of my classmates there :)

I have orientation at UTK tomorrow and I start rotations Monday :nailbiting:

Congrats! You're gonna meet so many of my classmates there :)

I have orientation at UTK tomorrow and I start rotations Monday :nailbiting:
HAVE FUN!

I heard through the grapevine that Auburn tends to be a school that sends out our info emails like a few weeks before finals so I'm pretty much dead at the thought of not knowing when I am supposed to be there until potentially like 2 weeks before I need to be moving :yeahright:

Ugggh, I'm gonna miss this rotation. 2 hour lunch breaks every day has been fabulooous.

HAVE FUN!

I heard through the grapevine that Auburn tends to be a school that sends out our info emails like a few weeks before finals so I'm pretty much dead at the thought of not knowing when I am supposed to be there until potentially like 2 weeks before I need to be moving :yeahright:

Really? Strange, my classmates heard decently early, but get none of their schedule info until orientation!

Ugggh, I'm gonna miss this rotation. 2 hour lunch breaks every day has been fabulooous.
SOOO JEALOUS.

As someone who is settling for a 15 hour overnight ICU shift after an already 12 hour day............

CHERISH THOSE BREAKS!

That sounds horrible. I got very lucky with my schedule and what rotations I'm taking...I don't take a lot of the harder or more time-consuming ones...that may be to my detriment later on, but my mental health (and my senior citizen pup) really appreciates the easier schedule. I try not to take it for granted!

Good luck on ICU! I'm sure you're rockin' it! ^__^

Really? Strange, my classmates heard decently early, but get none of their schedule info until orientation!
Turns out I also heard decently early :p got my email from Auburn last Friday and secured a house yesterday!

I keep thinking the more info I get, the less stressed I will be... turns out not. I only have 10 days between when I am leaving the island and when I have to be at Auburn for orientation which equates to 5 days at home to "relax" and pack and then a day of travel and then 4 days to set up house. Thank God I have a mother and sister who are willing and excited to come help drive, move me in, set up, and then hang out for the first week I'm there so my dog doesn't get neglected while I'm running around like a chicken with my head cut off.

Turns out I also heard decently early :p got my email from Auburn last Friday and secured a house yesterday!

I keep thinking the more info I get, the less stressed I will be... turns out not. I only have 10 days between when I am leaving the island and when I have to be at Auburn for orientation which equates to 5 days at home to "relax" and pack and then a day of travel and then 4 days to set up house. Thank God I have a mother and sister who are willing and excited to come help drive, move me in, set up, and then hang out for the first week I'm there so my dog doesn't get neglected while I'm running around like a chicken with my head cut off.

So exciting! :D

I've really enjoyed my time on this rotation (all the surgeries!), but I'm ready to be back in my own room, in my own bed, cuddling my sweet pup. One more day! :D

Just turned in my first draft of a radiology related case report :wideyed: I'm nervous!

I'm ending a rotation today that I legitimately, wholeheartedly, and completely, loved. It was such an amazing experience from day one, wonderful doctors, fantastic learning experience, good quality of life... For the first time (for on-campus that is), I'm super sad about moving on to a new rotation. Goodbye Cardio, I adored every second :love::love::love:

Reactions: 2 users
I'm ending a rotation today that I legitimately, wholeheartedly, and completely, loved. It was such an amazing experience from day one, wonderful doctors, fantastic learning experience, good quality of life... For the first time (for on-campus that is), I'm super sad about moving on to a new rotation. Goodbye Cardio, I adored every second :love::love::love:

This is how I feel about Zoo Med. So not ready for it to be over. At least I'll get to come back in 2 weeks! Not looking forward to my next rotation at all. :arghh:

This is how I feel about Zoo Med. So not ready for it to be over. At least I'll get to come back in 2 weeks! Not looking forward to my next rotation at all. :arghh:
Are you on or off campus for zoo med? Get to see or do anything fun?

You end rotations on Tuesday? Weeeeeird haha

Are you on or off campus for zoo med? Get to see or do anything fun?

On campus! And yes, we saw some cool things and went to a nearby zoo and saw even cooler things! I'm not sure how much I'm allowed to disclose, but definitely saw more than just rabbits, turtles, and parrots (though I love all those things, too)! :X3:

You end rotations on Tuesday? Weeeeeird haha
Even weirder that we start them on a Wednesday!!

Apparently it's something to do with ensuring patient care over the weekends? Idk, I still think it's strange but what are you going to do? haha.

Apparently it's something to do with ensuring patient care over the weekends? Idk, I still think it's strange but what are you going to do? haha.
I can see the logic in it though. So weekend students aren't passing on cases on one of the least motivating days of the week. And I can see it being useful to students on externship, for travel purposes.

I can see the logic in it though. So weekend students aren't passing on cases on one of the least motivating days of the week. And I can see it being useful to students on externship, for travel purposes.
I kinda see the weekend thing. Though case dodgers will try to get out of patient care regardless of when the block ends. :yeahright:

But it stinks if you don't have a rotation with an inpatient, because instead of leaving on a Friday to set up and get settled for an externship I leave on a Tuesday night and if they aren't used to Mizzou students I normally get at least five "Wait, you are starting today on a Wednesday??" from the techs haha.

Interesting haha. Our rotations just technically end at 8am Monday morning, so you're still responsible for your patients and any weekend transfers until 8am the day of a new rotation.Which also makes travel for externships kind of a pain in the butt!

Interesting haha. Our rotations just technically end at 8am Monday morning, so you're still responsible for your patients and any weekend transfers until 8am the day of a new rotation.Which also makes travel for externships kind of a pain in the butt!

Ours end on Monday morning too and we have to do morning and evening treatments for our inpatients over the weekend. ER holds onto any new cases over the weekend and then transfers them Monday. We aren't responsible for those transfers if we are leaving the rotation they are transferred to, just 8 am treatments for any of our inpatients

Ours end on Monday morning too and we have to do morning and evening treatments for our inpatients over the weekend. ER holds onto any new cases over the weekend and then transfers them Monday. We aren't responsible for those transfers if we are leaving the rotation they are transferred to, just 8 am treatments for any of our inpatients

Yep we are the same! Minus the transfer thing, we're still responsible for the morning treatments for things transferring to the service we're leaving :hungover:

Filled out my NAVLE applications today. So much money...gone... I can't believe it's already almost time for the Big Test! Where did the time go!?

Filled out my NAVLE applications today. So much money...gone... I can't believe it's already almost time for the Big Test! Where did the time go!?
I know! Today was the last midterm of my life, now just 3 more finals and the NAVLE and NO MORE EXAMS FOR ME EVER.

(except the MD vet board's little exam but that's mostly about state regulations which I already know far too well from my time in rescue & working with animal control so it doesn't count)

Reactions: 3 users
My first patient on my first ever shift for my emergency rotation last night was a 7 week old fennec fox :D It was adorable.

Reactions: 5 users