Class of 2018...how you doin? ;)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well, finally got all our scheduling info from Tennessee... But then found out earlier today that they are not offering the advanced Diagnostic Imaging elective during the 2017-2018 clinical year :( That was one of my main reasons for choosing UTK. So upset, trying to find an alternative at another vet school or something but so far no luck.

I actually learned the most about CT/MRI during my neurology rotation. I did also take a second (I can't remember what it was called) independent radiology rotation. I kind of got to guide my learning to what I liked.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
A&M has an ultrasound elective...but I know it's fiercely desired by a lot of people, so I don't know what the odds of getting it are or how often it's offered.

Reactions: 1 user
Have you looked at Ohio State? I don't know exactly what it covers but on our 2017-18 on-site electives there is a diagnostic imaging elective, as well as ultrasound, and radiation oncology (@Filly Bay do you know more?)

I'll check it out for sure!

I actually learned the most about CT/MRI during my neurology rotation. I did also take a second (I can't remember what it was called) independent radiology rotation. I kind of got to guide my learning to what I liked.

I'm definitely putting Neurology on my list of choices! I know a few other schools have ultrasound-specific rotations like UF and a few others (Thanks @epivetlove for the A&M info!). I have a close friend going to UF so I might try to see if I could get in on that and stay with her. The one at UTK was supposedly more CT and MRI focused and it looks like no other school has anything like that :( So sad they're taking it away.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll check it out for sure!

I'm definitely putting Neurology on my list of choices! I know a few other schools have ultrasound-specific rotations like UF and a few others (Thanks @epivetlove for the A&M info!). I have a close friend going to UF so I might try to see if I could get in on that and stay with her. The one at UTK was supposedly more CT and MRI focused and it looks like no other school has anything like that :( So sad they're taking it away.
We have a few radiology electives here as well! We have ultrasound elective (which includes CT/MRI) , rad onc elective, and a diagnostic radiology one too. I don't see why you couldn't get an elective here if you wanted it! Hopefully you will be able to find a school or specialty center you can do an elective at :)

We have a few radiology electives here as well! We have ultrasound elective (which includes CT/MRI) , rad onc elective, and a diagnostic radiology one too. I don't see why you couldn't get an elective here if you wanted it! Hopefully you will be able to find a school or specialty center you can do an elective at :)

Wow! I'll look into it, thanks! :) You're Mizzou right?

:love: I emailed Linda Berent there, a friend going there for rotations gave me her contact info... We'll see what she says about outside students for externships.
You'll have to let us know what she says! Crossing my fingers and toes you can get some awesome electives!:D

You'll have to let us know what she says! Crossing my fingers and toes you can get some awesome electives!:D

Mizzou takes outside externs! :soexcited: Now hopefully I can actually get the Special Imaging rotation in a time frame that will work into my schedule when I get it from Tennessee :)

Reactions: 4 users
Mizzou takes outside externs! :soexcited: Now hopefully I can actually get the Special Imaging rotation in a time frame that will work into my schedule when I get it from Tennessee :)

I haven't taken said rotation, but from what I've heard it may not be what you are hoping for if MRI/CT is what you want. You basically just hold animals for ultrasounds for the 2 week rotation.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I haven't taken said rotation, but from what I've heard it may not be what you are hoping for if MRI/CT is what you want. You basically just hold animals for ultrasounds for the 2 week rotation.

From my SO who took it recently- You have most days helping with ultrasound (and you get to do a few on your or other dogs), and a few days that are for CT/MRI. He seemed to be on U/S most of the time but he also didn't care where he was. So I wonder if you are really interested and ask for a few more days for CT/MRI if they will give it to you. Might want to email them and ask, they are all pretty nice over there.

From my SO who took it recently- You have most days helping with ultrasound (and you get to do a few on your or other dogs), and a few days that are for CT/MRI. He seemed to be on U/S most of the time but he also didn't care where he was. So I wonder if you are really interested and ask for a few more days for CT/MRI if they will give it to you. Might want to email them and ask, they are all pretty nice over there.

Okay, thanks guys! I'll see what happens, first I have to get my schedule from TN and see when they will give me externship time, and then see if Mizzou would even have openings in those timeframes anyway. The other diagnostic radiology rotations there look great too though, so I'd be interested in those too if the Special Imaging one doesn't work out. Honestly any imaging time is exciting for me haha. And we can only take radiology rotation once at UT :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Woooo UTK lady finally emailed me back and said she'd give me elective credits to go to other schools, or I can see if the radiologists at UTK will do something for me individually that's along the lines of my interests :D Too bad my preferences sheet was due Monday haha. Hopefully I can make the necessary schedule changes later after I get my schedule.

Reactions: 3 users
GUYS I only have one more final between me and getting to go back to AMERICA (for a visit). WEEEEEEEE!!

Downside is that I have not studied for this final at all because I only need a 50% on it to pass and my other two finals needed more of my focus and since this one has the smallest amount of new info to get through on the final its "reasonable" right?!?! Yeah. I officially have 22 hours to learn everything for this final YAY.

Reactions: 5 users
GUYS I only have one more final between me and getting to go back to AMERICA (for a visit). WEEEEEEEE!!

Downside is that I have not studied for this final at all because I only need a 50% on it to pass and my other two finals needed more of my focus and since this one has the smallest amount of new info to get through on the final its "reasonable" right?!?! Yeah. I officially have 22 hours to learn everything for this final YAY.

So exciting, that's the best feeling! (The only one final left before going home thing). Good luck! I'm back to the US for good in 19 days :nailbiting: So bittersweet.

Reactions: 2 users
2 finals for me and 19 days until clinics. Eep. :nailbiting:

A few finals left to go, then onto clinical year! Can't wait to get out of the lecture hall and onto the clinic floor. It's time to put that hard-earned knowledge to work!

Reactions: 3 users
Got my schedule today AHHHHHHHH it's all getting so real! My first 6 weeks are surgery and that scares the crap out of me!

Reactions: 5 users
This is so exciting, I can't wait until all my 2018 peeps are in clinics with me!!!!!! :love::love:

Though, real talk, it's important to know that while I would 100% take clinics over classes any day, and I'm generally enjoying myself, it's okay (just like in classes) to not enjoy some parts of it. Sometimes it can be super rewarding and fun, but sometimes it's a slog, and so it's okay to be frustrated that you are paying $40,000+ to feel like slave labor some of the time.

Just a "just-in case-you-felt-like something-is-wrong-with-you-for-feeling-like-you-didn't-like-some-of-this-during-the-first-few-rotations-like-I-did" post :)

Reactions: 4 users
So exciting, that's the best feeling! (The only one final left before going home thing). Good luck! I'm back to the US for good in 19 days :nailbiting: So bittersweet.

That's so exciting!!! In 19 days I will be.... back on island already into another semester. But for now I am thrilled to be on American soil and will be even more thrilled to Home State soil tomorrow :)

Orientation is June 1st and 2nd, then first rotation June 5th!
Super exciting!!! Seems like you get a little chunk of time off between finishing up on island and starting clinics which is nice.

That's so exciting!!! In 19 days I will be.... back on island already into another semester. But for now I am thrilled to be on American soil and will be even more thrilled to Home State soil tomorrow :)

Super exciting!!! Seems like you get a little chunk of time off between finishing up on island and starting clinics which is nice.

Yay! It's always so nice to be back in the US, even for a little while haha. Yeah I have about 3 weeks before I start at UT. Some of my classmates only have a week between our last final and when they start rotations! That's too crazy.

Though, real talk, it's important to know that while I would 100% take clinics over classes any day, and I'm generally enjoying myself, it's okay (just like in classes) to not enjoy some parts of it. Sometimes it can be super rewarding and fun, but sometimes it's a slog, and so it's okay to be frustrated that you are paying $40,000+ to feel like slave labor some of the time.

Just a "just-in case-you-felt-like something-is-wrong-with-you-for-feeling-like-you-didn't-like-some-of-this-during-the-first-few-rotations-like-I-did" post :)
This post keeps it real. My approach to vet school in general. I have no qualms about telling folks that I'm not in love with all of it, all of the time.

It's gonna be so much fun guys! :love:
Hey NCSU alumna....any advice for SA Medicine? I have it blocks 1 and 2 straight out of the gate for 5 weeks. I'm sure to learn a ton, but I'm a bit nervous about it as well.

This post keeps it real. My approach to vet school in general. I have no qualms about telling folks that I'm not in love with all of it.
You're doing IM basically first (is your externship a selective?) - you're gonna have a very quick love/hate situation, lol. You see the most amazing cases, work the most ridiculous hours, and know so very little. But it sets you up so well and depending on clinician, most of them are super duper absurdly fun. I loved IM first.

Hey NCSU alumna....any advice for SA Medicine? I have it blocks 1 and 2 straight out of the gate for 5 weeks. I'm sure to learn a ton, but I'm a bit nervous about it as well.
Haha - ninja'd!

PM me who your clinicians on are, I'll give you all my feels. Even as a ****tacular student, I did it for five weeks right at the get go and really loved the decision; I recommended it to lots of people in the class below me.

You're doing IM basically first (is your externship a selective?) - you're gonna have a very quick love/hate situation, lol. You see the most amazing cases, work the most ridiculous hours, and know so very little. But it sets you up so well and depending on clinician, most of them are super duper absurdly fun. I loved IM first.
You answered my question before I even asked it :) Love the mind reading. Exactly what I expected. Yup...leaving for my externship (last selective) after my last...two...finals...ever...tomorrow ;) Thanks for the advice. Sure, I'm a bit nervous about IM first, but it was actually recommended by two separate mentors in two separate specialties to do it this way deliberately. They basically described it as initiation/trial by fire, but super well set up for the rest of clinical year.

Haha - ninja'd!

PM me who your clinicians on are, I'll give you all my feels. Even as a ****tacular student, I did it for five weeks right at the get go and really loved the decision; I recommended it to lots of people in the class below me.
I'll do that. One of my mentors did some digging for me and found out the SA IM clinician schedule ahead of time. Good group. Most of them I know quite well. I'll send you a PM tomorrow when things quiet down. Thanks for offering to help out :)

You answered my question before I even asked it :) Love the mind reading. Exactly what I expected. Yup...leaving for my externship (last selective) after my last...two...finals...ever...tomorrow ;) Thanks for the advice. Sure, I'm a bit nervous about IM first, but it was actually recommended by two separate mentors in two separate specialties to do it this way deliberately. They basically described it as initiation/trial by fire, but super well set up for the rest of clinical year.
Just to creep on your conversation, have fun at Yale! I loved the people there :D

Yay! It's always so nice to be back in the US, even for a little while haha. Yeah I have about 3 weeks before I start at UT. Some of my classmates only have a week between our last final and when they start rotations! That's too crazy.

I know! Ross asks the schools to give us 2 at least weeks between our last final and when we physically need to be there but at the end of the day its totally up to them. And seems to kinda depend on when in the year we're starting... of course those that start at the end of Aug/start of Sept tend to have the shortest time between finals and starting clinics which is my situation -_______- those that start in May seem to be getting a solid 3-4 weeks and the ones that start in January I've heard anything from 3 weeks to 1.5 months.

I know! Ross asks the schools to give us 2 at least weeks between our last final and when we physically need to be there but at the end of the day its totally up to them. And seems to kinda depend on when in the year we're starting... of course those that start at the end of Aug/start of Sept tend to have the shortest time between finals and starting clinics which is my situation -_______- those that start in May seem to be getting a solid 3-4 weeks and the ones that start in January I've heard anything from 3 weeks to 1.5 months.

Wow 1.5 months!! That would be nice haha. I hope you get a decent chunk of time!

Wow 1.5 months!! That would be nice haha. I hope you get a decent chunk of time!
Me too cause one of my best friends is due to pop our her baby right at the end of August so if I get my actual two weeks I will be around for her due date at least. Fingers crossed for three weeks just in case the kid wants to bake a little longer though haha

My class president giving us some encouragement before we take our last final (diagnostic imaging),

"Today, my friends, channel your inner colonic foreign body:
You've made it this far - you're going to pass."

Tonight we are out celebrating as a class the end of our 3 academic years and the soon to be start to clinics!

Reactions: 7 users
My class president giving us some encouragement before we take our last final (diagnostic imaging),

"Today, my friends, channel your inner colonic foreign body:
You've made it this far - you're going to pass."

Tonight we are out celebrating as a class the end of our 3 academic years and the soon to be start to clinics!

If DI were my last final ever I'd be in Heaven haha. Congrats on finishing your exams! :D

Starting new block of clinics today.... as a 4th year :eek:

Reactions: 8 users
See that you're heading to NCSU for a rotation. Our radiology group is great. You'll love them :) Let me know when you're on campus and we can meet up.

See that you're heading to NCSU for a rotation. Our radiology group is great. You'll love them :) Let me know when you're on campus and we can meet up.

Yes! Definitely :) That's great to hear! I heard the ultrasound rotation there was awesome so I'm super excited about it! It'll be next February - March.

Last day of lecture eveeeeeer! Didn't first year just start? How are we just a year from being done already? :clap:

My motivation to study is quickly approaching a negative number... :arghh: Our medicine final has so much information and I'm solidly at an A right now, so I should be concerned than I am. And yet...I'm on my 3nd hour of watching GMM on Youtube, after having taken a substantial nap. Ugh.

My motivation to study is quickly approaching a negative number... :arghh: Our medicine final has so much information and I'm solidly at an A right now, so I should be concerned than I am. And yet...I'm on my 3nd hour of watching GMM on Youtube, after having taken a substantial nap. Ugh.

I started watching Thirteen Reasons Why today, aside from the fact that I have Equine Med final Tuesday and horses are the bane of my academic existence :p

I started watching Thirteen Reasons Why today, aside from the fact that I have Equine Med final Tuesday and horses are the bane of my academic existence :p
Just skip episode 11 if you want your heart to remain intact :sorry: but I also just watched that during our finals, super addicting

So many feels at White Coat especially with DJ's parents receiving his white coat posthumously. Looking forward to the start of clinics tomorrow