Class of 2018...how you doin? ;)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@Zensing how did your surgery go? Just noticed you're class of 2018 so hope you don't mind me dragging you in here :)

Does anyone else have surgeries coming up?
I had a fairly uneventful time on anesthesia yesterday and Harley the boxer is now down two parts and went home this morning. :soexcited: Only 2 more surgeries to go!

Good luck to everyone taking exams!

Yay for successful anesthesia! We did all our junior surgery neuters and spays last term, but this term we do "rotations", and have one surgery/anesthesia one which I have coming up two weeks after midterms. I'm sooooo nervous I'm going to end up getting assigned to do anesthesia while our orthopedic surgeon does a TTA or something :nailbiting:

Members don't see this ad.

Yay Epi! :soexcited:

I hope everyone waiting for news of clinics is as lucky as you

Yay for successful anesthesia! We did all our junior surgery neuters and spays last term, but this term we do "rotations", and have one surgery/anesthesia one which I have coming up two weeks after midterms. I'm sooooo nervous I'm going to end up getting assigned to do anesthesia while our orthopedic surgeon does a TTA or something :nailbiting:

That's cool. You're going to be awesome no matter what you end up being assigned! I'm sure it will go better than you anticipate :)

Reactions: 1 user
Yay Epi! :soexcited:

I hope everyone waiting for news of clinics is as lucky as you

That's cool. You're going to be awesome no matter what you end up being assigned! I'm sure it will go better than you anticipate :)

Thanks! I hope so :)

Members don't see this ad :)
When the professor for the GI portion of Small Animal Medicine gives you a hefty note set with this written at the very beginning:

"I expect you to know EVERYTHING [their emphasis, not mine] in these notes (including the reading assignments), whether or not we discuss it in class. The reading assignments were carefully chosen to just give you want you need – there is no “fluff” in these reading assignments."

...you know you're in for a bad time. Thankfully, they've been a superb lecturer thus far.

When the professor for the GI portion of Small Animal Medicine gives you a hefty note set with this written at the very beginning:

"I expect you to know EVERYTHING [their emphasis, not mine] in these notes (including the reading assignments), whether or not we discuss it in class. The reading assignments were carefully chosen to just give you want you need – there is no “fluff” in these reading assignments."

...you know you're in for a bad time. Thankfully, they've been a superb lecturer thus far.

Daaaaaaamn. GI is by far my least favorite topic in small animal med

Sounds like my cardio class last year. We had required and optional readings but the optional readings were definitely not optional. Good luck with all that reading

Neuro professor showed us a video of a puppy and called it a rump shaker. He then admitted to googling rump shaker hoping to find something scientific and getting nothing he was expecting:rofl:

Reactions: 2 users
I got to update my signature to show my rotations! Eee! There's still a few rotations (intersemester breaks) that I'm not sure of or when I'll be taking NAVLE, but at least I have the majority
of my schedule!

So crazy that we start clinics in 73 days!

Reactions: 7 users
I got to update my signature to show my rotations! Eee! There's still a few rotations (intersemester breaks) that I'm not sure of or when I'll be taking NAVLE, but at least I have the majority
of my schedule!

So crazy that we start clinics in 73 days!
Yay for having the majority of your schedule! I know you were worried about it even being approved so I'm really glad it all worked out!
Your post made me realize I could make my signature show my rotations too! I still have one offsite elective I'm trying to figure out where I want to go but other than that my schedule is done. I'm just waiting on official approvals for the offsite electives I have decided on.

Reactions: 1 users
Ok, not going to lie knowing that you can add your rotations is super exciting. As soon as I finally have my rotation schedule, I'll be doing that too! Thanks for the info.

Reactions: 2 users
We got the list that shows what everyone's rotations are (well, the first 3, anyway) and noticed some new names on the list. Excited to meet our new Island students! They were signed up for rotations that aren't generally done in the first term, so I'm guessing these students started at the hospitals in September(ish) or January(ish) if they're from Ross? Kinda confused how y'all's schedules pan out. If you're Class of 2018 and your first semester was September 2014...when do y'all graduate? And will you go back to Ross to do so or do you get to walk with your clinical school? Either way, it'll be nice to meet some fresh faces! :)

We got the list that shows what everyone's rotations are (well, the first 3, anyway) and noticed some new names on the list. Excited to meet our new Island students! They were signed up for rotations that aren't generally done in the first term, so I'm guessing these students started at the hospitals in September(ish) or January(ish) if they're from Ross? Kinda confused how y'all's schedules pan out. If you're Class of 2018 and your first semester was September 2014...when do y'all graduate? And will you go back to Ross to do so or do you get to walk with your clinical school? Either way, it'll be nice to meet some fresh faces! :)

You're forgetting that we have 3 semesters/year here for a total of 10 semesters, equalling 3 years and 4 months of school when we graduate. 7 semesters (2 years 4 months) on island and 3 semesters (1 year) in clinics. So there are students from 3 different semesters that add up to the entire class of '18 from Ross. We all walk at the same graduation but get our diplomas at different times throughout the year based on when we finish clinics. So for me, I started in May '15, I will start clinics in Sept '17, will walk at the annual graduation in May '18, and will "technically" graduate and get my diploma in Sept '18. When I walk at graduation I will be walking with my whole semester, as well as the semester that started before us (started Jan '15, technical graduation date May '18) and the semester after us (started Sept '15, technical graduation date Dec '18).

How clinics works for us is totally dependent upon the school we end up at so I can't comment on that too much but if you're seeing Rossie names in rotations that aren't usually for new babies they could definitely have been from the groups that started in Jan, last Sept, or last May.

If you have any commentary about your clinics experience let me know! I have to put my selection of 4 choices for where to go on May 8th. Right now my priorities are to go somewhere that I can leave and be hired without my new employer having to hold my hand for every little thing, get some hands on exotic pocket pets (mostly I care about sugar gliders, no real interest in wildlife or zoo), and cheap cost of living!

ETA: Totally didn't even read your last two sentences! They hold our graduation in Florida and we graduate with our fellow Rossies, which will be an awesome reunion but bittersweet I am sure because we will feel like we are missing out on that experience with the new friends we have made at clinics.

You're forgetting that we have 3 semesters/year here for a total of 10 semesters, equalling 3 years and 4 months of school when we graduate. 7 semesters (2 years 4 months) on island and 3 semesters (1 year) in clinics. So there are students from 3 different semesters that add up to the entire class of '18 from Ross. We all walk at the same graduation but get our diplomas at different times throughout the year based on when we finish clinics. So for me, I started in May '15, I will start clinics in Sept '17, will walk at the annual graduation in May '18, and will "technically" graduate and get my diploma in Sept '18. When I walk at graduation I will be walking with my whole semester, as well as the semester that started before us (started Jan '15, technical graduation date May '18) and the semester after us (started Sept '15, technical graduation date Dec '18).

How clinics works for us is totally dependent upon the school we end up at so I can't comment on that too much but if you're seeing Rossie names in rotations that aren't usually for new babies they could definitely have been from the groups that started in Jan, last Sept, or last May.

If you have any commentary about your clinics experience let me know! I have to put my selection of 4 choices for where to go on May 8th. Right now my priorities are to go somewhere that I can leave and be hired without my new employer having to hold my hand for every little thing, get some hands on exotic pocket pets (mostly I care about sugar gliders, no real interest in wildlife or zoo), and cheap cost of living!

ETA: Totally didn't even read your last two sentences! They hold our graduation in Florida and we graduate with our fellow Rossies, which will be an awesome reunion but bittersweet I am sure because we will feel like we are missing out on that experience with the new friends we have made at clinics.

Where in Florida?! That's cool. They do our graduations in New York City. Graduation weekend is gonna be crazyyyyy being reunited again haha

Members don't see this ad :)
Where in Florida?! That's cool. They do our graduations in New York City. Graduation weekend is gonna be crazyyyyy being reunited again haha

They used to do Ross's in NY also (many years ago) but now its in Coral Springs which is near Miami.... super random but the swim team that I was on from age 4-18 takes their winter training trip to Coral Springs every year so I'm super familiar with the area from several winters of swimming my butt off there and it will be like an extra double whammy of nostalgia being back there haha...

Thanks for the explanation! I actually didn't forget that y'all have 3 semesters per year, but I wasn't sure exactly how the clinical year went based on the 3 different start times and then how graduation worked (which is why I had the question about starting in September 2014 and being classified as Class of 2018--just didn't know what part of 2018!) I didn't mention May because I assumed students that started in May wouldn't be here yet, but I didn't think about students coming into clinics from last May...

As for clinics, I don't have a ton of experience. We do four days per block (1 block is 4 weeks) per semester in our third year. I will be going back into clinics next week (Internal Med, Dermatology, General Surgery, and something else), but I really enjoyed my days last semester on the clinic floor. I've kept up with new grads from 2016 and 2015 and most seemed confident going out into the real world, so I feel like clinics will prepare us well enough. There will always be things to learn! As for College Station, I'd say it's fairly affordable, especially if you live with people. My total expenses for housing and utilities usually falls under 450/month with roomies. If you'd like to know more about the area and such, please feel free to PM me anytime!

... (which is why I had the question about starting in September 2014 and being classified as Class of 2018--just didn't know what part of 2018!) ...

Technically someone who had started in Sept 2014 would be class of '17 with their graduation date being December '17. It is a bit confusing because no matter what you end up with people who haven't technically graduated yet or who technically graduated ~4 months earlier (plus those graduating AT the time of graduation) all walking together.

As for College Station, I'd say it's fairly affordable, especially if you live with people. My total expenses for housing and utilities usually falls under 450/month with roomies. If you'd like to know more about the area and such, please feel free to PM me anytime!

That is really good to know, one of the cheapest I've heard! Even cheaper than I'm living down here which has been the cheapest of my life haha... if I end up there I will definitely be bugging you about housing resources.

Technically someone who had started in Sept 2014 would be class of '17 with their graduation date being December '17. It is a bit confusing because no matter what you end up with people who haven't technically graduated yet or who technically graduated ~4 months earlier (plus those graduating AT the time of graduation) all walking together.

Ohhh, I see, I see. That's a lot of keep up with for the school! I guess I was confused because I know a guy that I thought started in September of 2015 and said he was Class of 2019...but he's really Class of 2018? As in, his diploma will say December '18?

Edit: Did some mental math. Figured it out.

That is really good to know, one of the cheapest I've heard! Even cheaper than I'm living down here which has been the cheapest of my life haha... if I end up there I will definitely be bugging you about housing resources.

It can definitely be all over the place. I know people spending 1000+ to live alone and some paying a bit cheaper than me to live with 2-3 other people. Kinda depends on what you're looking for, distance from school, shared bathroom or not, and so on... Bug away!

Last edited:
They used to do Ross's in NY also (many years ago) but now its in Coral Springs which is near Miami.... super random but the swim team that I was on from age 4-18 takes their winter training trip to Coral Springs every year so I'm super familiar with the area from several winters of swimming my butt off there and it will be like an extra double whammy of nostalgia being back there haha...

Oh cool! One of my best friends here is from Coral Springs haha. She's asking where in CS they hold it

Last edited:
Ohhh, I see, I see. That's a lot of keep up with for the school! I guess I was confused because I know a guy that I thought started in September of 2015 and said he was Class of 2019...but he's really Class of 2018? As in, his diploma will say December '18?

Well to add to that confusion is also if he was in vet prep when he started he will graduate a semester later than "normal" and you can fail up to two semesters while here so that would put you back two semesters that way. Just to clarify everything I mentioned earlier is assuming you did not start in vet prep and did not fail any classes or take any semesters off because that is the majority of students :)

Oh cool! One of my best friends here is from Coral Springs haha. She's asking where in CS they hold it
So I just looked it up and its in the "Watsco Center" which is actually in Coral Gables >_< I spent the last 2 years thinking it was in Coral Springs so FAIL BRAIN.

Well to add to that confusion is also if he was in vet prep when he started he will graduate a semester later than "normal" and you can fail up to two semesters while here so that would put you back two semesters that way. Just to clarify everything I mentioned earlier is assuming you did not start in vet prep and did not fail any classes or take any semesters off because that is the majority of students :)

So I just looked it up and its in the "Watsco Center" which is actually in Coral Gables >_< I spent the last 2 years thinking it was in Coral Springs so FAIL BRAIN.

Ohhhh okay hahaha. Easy mix-up :)

Thanks all for sharing how it works at the island schools. I always wondered how you did graduation.

If you have any commentary about your clinics experience let me know! I have to put my selection of 4 choices for where to go on May 8th. Right now my priorities are to go somewhere that I can leave and be hired without my new employer having to hold my hand for every little thing, get some hands on exotic pocket pets (mostly I care about sugar gliders, no real interest in wildlife or zoo), and cheap cost of living.

I'm assuming if you came to Ohio State for clinics you would have the same clinic schedule set-up that we have. Which means you would have 3 elective rotations you could use (assuming you're not interested in tracking large animal). You'd be able to go to any clinic you wanted so if you knew a clinic with exotic pocket pets you could go there.

Cost of living isn't bad in Columbus either although it depends on just how close you want to be to the school and the neighborhood you live in. I rent a house with 3 other people in a good neighborhood but pretty much right on campus. For me, with utilities, it's close to $525/month but I save on not having to pay for a parking pass because I walk every day. I know others who don't live as close that pay less.

Feel free to PM me if you think Ohio State is somewhere you'd want to go or just want more info

Another block of clinics done and dusted! As meh as anatomical path was, I adored clin path so much! I am actually kinda sad I'm moving on... but maybe that's because tomorrow I'm on internal medicine :scared:

Almost halfway through March and still haven't heard anything from Tennessee about 4th year :mad: I don't even know when I need to be there to start! Most of my classmates going to other schools have their entire 4th year schedules at this point. A few of us going to TN have emailed them asking for simply a start date so we can plan housing and other things. No one will give us any information. Needless to say I'm getting super irritated about it.

Almost halfway through March and still haven't heard anything from Tennessee about 4th year :mad: I don't even know when I need to be there to start! Most of my classmates going to other schools have their entire 4th year schedules at this point. A few of us going to TN have emailed them asking for simply a start date so we can plan housing and other things. No one will give us any information. Needless to say I'm getting super irritated about it.

Oh man that's like my worst nightmare >_< we get our assignments May 26 and we are told that our school has until the end of June to contact us with that info including our start date (which could be as soon as 10 days after our last final for some....). Its just crazy and really inconsiderate. We already have so much to worry about with moving our whole lives back internationally, finding housing, trying to plan the NAVLE +/- any known personal stuff across the following year... ugh.

Oh man that's like my worst nightmare >_< we get our assignments May 26 and we are told that our school has until the end of June to contact us with that info including our start date (which could be as soon as 10 days after our last final for some....). Its just crazy and really inconsiderate. We already have so much to worry about with moving our whole lives back internationally, finding housing, trying to plan the NAVLE +/- any known personal stuff across the following year... ugh.

Yup! It's extremely frustrating. I'd also like to plan another externship but right now I'm not sure if they'll allow me 6 or 7 weeks (they're weird about if you have a 3-week one planned in the last 6 weeks of 4th year you can get 4 more weeks to make a total of 7 instead of the usual total of 6). I have an externship planned for the very end of the year so I might get the 7 weeks. I can't really move forward and plan anything though since I don't know for sure and don't have a schedule to fit something into. Grrrr. A classmate who is also going there was told last week by the administration of TN that we'd hear from them this week. Well it's now Friday afternoon of this week so I don't think that's happening...

Yup! It's extremely frustrating. I'd also like to plan another externship but right now I'm not sure if they'll allow me 6 or 7 weeks (they're weird about if you have a 3-week one planned in the last 6 weeks of 4th year you can get 4 more weeks to make a total of 7 instead of the usual total of 6). I have an externship planned for the very end of the year so I might get the 7 weeks. I can't really move forward and plan anything though since I don't know for sure and don't have a schedule to fit something into. Grrrr. A classmate who is also going there was told last week by the administration of TN that we'd hear from them this week. Well it's now Friday afternoon of this week so I don't think that's happening...
Ugh, I'm sorry they're giving you so much trouble with getting that all figured out. I know they've had some staffing issues and it's pretty much been turtle town with everything around here lately :turtle:

Kinda makes me want to cross TN off my list :grumpy:

Ugh, I'm sorry they're giving you so much trouble with getting that all figured out. I know they've had some staffing issues and it's pretty much been turtle town with everything around here lately :turtle:

Greaaaaat haha. Well thanks for the heads-up! Another guy in my class who's going there too actually has family who works in admissions for the vet school so I think now that we didn't hear anything this week he's going to ask his relatives to find out. Maybe he can get something, and if not then the guy who places us and does all SGU's communicating with the schools should be there this coming week. If he can't get things rolling then it's a lost cause I suppose haha.

Kinda makes me want to cross TN off my list :grumpy:

Noooo come with me! :D

Finally had my meeting with the clinical placement coordinator to talk about what I want out of life/clinics and which schools would be good for me based on that...

So I somehow have to choose 4 from the following: Kansas, Auburn, Iowa, A&M, Missouri

I am definitely going to put down Auburn and Iowa so basically I have two more spaces to choose between the other 3..... if anyone knows anyone who is in or has been through clinics at KS, A&M, or Mizzou holla at me. I have written in my notes that Mizzou has 6 weeks required necropsy/path rotation so I'm trying to figure out how true that is. Considering I want to go right into work after clinics and be as "practice ready" as possible, spending a full 6 weeks (instead of 1-3 like most other schools) digging around in things that are already dead seems like not the best use of my time :shrug:

Finally had my meeting with the clinical placement coordinator to talk about what I want out of life/clinics and which schools would be good for me based on that...

So I somehow have to choose 4 from the following: Kansas, Auburn, Iowa, A&M, Missouri

I am definitely going to put down Auburn and Iowa so basically I have two more spaces to choose between the other 3..... if anyone knows anyone who is in or has been through clinics at KS, A&M, or Mizzou holla at me. I have written in my notes that Mizzou has 6 weeks required necropsy/path rotation so I'm trying to figure out how true that is. Considering I want to go right into work after clinics and be as "practice ready" as possible, spending a full 6 weeks (instead of 1-3 like most other schools) digging around in things that are already dead seems like not the best use of my time :shrug:

Path is 6 weeks, but 2 of those is clin path (which is super fun and super useful). As well, those 6 weeks of path is a like a NAVLE crash course since we have lecture every morning- if you take it before your NAVLE it's super useful and you have tons of free time to study/have a life. We have Rossies here that really seem to enjoy our clinics and the few that I know found that Mizzou prepared them well :). Though I'm sure it's a little different considering our schedules would be a bit different since you would get one year of clinics.

Feel free to PM me if you have anymore questions :)

I can't speak for the rotations at Mizzou and may be a bit biased, but I probably learned the most out of any rotation on necropsy. It was the one rotation that best prepared me for NAVLE. We spent lots of time reviewing major diseases in a variety of species. I think clin path and anatomic path are separate rotations at Mizzou too, and without getting on a soapbox I guarantee you that you will use clin path every day when you're "practice ready." Not that those rotations are always problem free, but thinking you won't learn something because the patients are 'already dead' is incredibly short sighted in my opinion.

I can't speak for the rotations at Mizzou and may be a bit biased, but I probably learned the most out of any rotation on necropsy. It was the one rotation that best prepared me for NAVLE. We spent lots of time reviewing major diseases in a variety of species. I think clin path and anatomic path are separate rotations at Mizzou too, and without getting on a soapbox I guarantee you that you will use clin path every day when you're "practice ready." Not that those rotations are always problem free, but thinking you won't learn something because the patients are 'already dead' is incredibly short sighted in my opinion.
Clin path and anatomical path are combined into one 6 week rotation (hopefully soon it will be 3 weeks necropsy and 3 weeks clin path!). Honestly, I was expecting to dread path and I actually learned a tonnnnnn. I can 100% do a necropsy on my own now, and even though we did "cut dead things" for 4 weeks, each time we had a case we went over all the differentials and all the pathogenesis which was helpful for me to put all the pieces together.

And then there's clin path, which was fabulous :love:, and of course something I will continue to use every single day of my vet med career.

Clin path and anatomical path are combined into one 6 week rotation (hopefully soon it will be 3 weeks necropsy and 3 weeks clin path!). Honestly, I was expecting to dread path and I actually learned a tonnnnnn. I can 100% do a necropsy on my own now, and even though we did "cut dead things" for 4 weeks, each time we had a case we went over all the differentials and all the pathogenesis which was helpful for me to put all the pieces together.
And then there's clin path, which was fabulous :love:, and of course something I will continue to use every single day of my vet med career.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the clairification! At my current institution students do clin path with us in the mornings and necropsy in the afternoons, so it's a little different set up.

@Ashgirl thank you that info is actually very helpful! I have a bunch of questions so I will definitely message you in a few weeks once hell is over :D

...and without getting on a soapbox I guarantee you that you will use clin path every day when you're "practice ready." Not that those rotations are always problem free, but thinking you won't learn something because the patients are 'already dead' is incredibly short sighted in my opinion.

Thanks for the input. I know that I will definitely use clin path every day of my life, the information we are provided did not note that clin path is included in the necropsy rotation there so I'm glad to know that is part of it. I truly do understand how useful a necropsy rotation will be but when I am comparing what different schools offer, knowing that the #1 thing that I personally want to get out of my clinical year is to be as hire-able as possible at the end of it, its hard to see myself sitting in front of a potential employer and them finding me having had that extra 3 weeks of necropsy more valuable than me having had 3 weeks of, say, dental or derm in its place. Just wanted to clarify that because I feel like you took my post as seeing necropsy in general as a waste of time or that I feel I would learn nothing from it, which is not the case at all.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the clairification! At my current institution students do clin path with us in the mornings and necropsy in the afternoons, so it's a little different set up.
Yeah it's just a little different- 6 weeks of path, 4 weeks necropsy and 2 weeks path. 8am-10am is lecture regardless of which one you are one, then at 10 you break up to either necropsy or clin path depending on which one you are on at the time.

You know I think I like this setup a lot- you get 50/50 and don't have the necropsy burnout if you have to cut all day (which wasn't normally the case, but those times we did could be monotonous).

Update: Finally heard from Tennessee! Got my UTK email account set up today, they finally told us our orientation dates, and sent out all the student and rotation handbooks :) They also sent us the names of all the Rossies coming to UT too, I prompty Facebook stalked them all :p Hopefully they'll start our scheduling process soon

Reactions: 4 users
Update: Finally heard from Tennessee! Got my UTK email account set up today, they finally told us our orientation dates, and sent out all the student and rotation handbooks :) They also sent us the names of all the Rossies coming to UT too, I prompty Facebook stalked them all :p Hopefully they'll start our scheduling process soon

They also sent the schedules and rotations to the Rossies today too! Not just Tennessee but people from most schools heard today it seems. You're getting a good group joining you, I don't need to dish out any warnings :p

They also sent the schedules and rotations to the Rossies today too! Not just Tennessee but people from most schools heard today it seems. You're getting a good group joining you, I don't need to dish out any warnings :p

Perfect! :)

We officially got our schedules on Monday. Mine didn't have any changes, but it was still exciting to get that piece of paper in our mail boxes. Only 46 days, 3 exams and 2 finals stand in my way!

@Ashgirl thank you that info is actually very helpful! I have a bunch of questions so I will definitely message you in a few weeks once hell is over :D

Thanks for the input. I know that I will definitely use clin path every day of my life, the information we are provided did not note that clin path is included in the necropsy rotation there so I'm glad to know that is part of it. I truly do understand how useful a necropsy rotation will be but when I am comparing what different schools offer, knowing that the #1 thing that I personally want to get out of my clinical year is to be as hire-able as possible at the end of it, its hard to see myself sitting in front of a potential employer and them finding me having had that extra 3 weeks of necropsy more valuable than me having had 3 weeks of, say, dental or derm in its place. Just wanted to clarify that because I feel like you took my post as seeing necropsy in general as a waste of time or that I feel I would learn nothing from it, which is not the case at all.

Unless you are getting to extract teeth during those 3 weeks of dental, I don't see a big benefit except maybe getting more experience with dental rads.

Derm in clinics is glorified. I'm lucky if I can get a skin scrape in practice, forget skin scrape, impression smears, trichogram, cultures, fungal testing, etc, etc... my derm professor would kill me if he saw how I often have to treat derm cases.

I want to see them allow at least one rotation in GP for those interested in GP. What will prepare you for practice? Be given a patient with xyz symptoms and a budget. Figure out how to prioritize what is best to do for that animal with the budget given.

Unless you are getting to extract teeth during those 3 weeks of dental, I don't see a big benefit except maybe getting more experience with dental rads.

Derm in clinics is glorified. I'm lucky if I can get a skin scrape in practice, forget skin scrape, impression smears, trichogram, cultures, fungal testing, etc, etc... my derm professor would kill me if he saw how I often have to treat derm cases.

I want to see them allow at least one rotation in GP for those interested in GP. What will prepare you for practice? Be given a patient with xyz symptoms and a budget. Figure out how to prioritize what is best to do for that animal with the budget given.
^this re: derm. I didn't take derm because of scheduling with my focus area in school, and yeah the first week of skin cases was a little overwhelming, but you get a spiel down fast. And real people ignore 95%+ of what you say, unlike the dedicated type who have gone to a dermatologist.

Dentistry though... I would be sad if I hadn't had formal training in dentistry. Our dentist and dental tech were awesome and we had two days of extractions on cadavers, flaps, etc. Especially if you go to a clinic where dentistry is... sub par at best (which is most)... it is good to know how to do things right.

Well, finally got all our scheduling info from Tennessee... But then found out earlier today that they are not offering the advanced Diagnostic Imaging elective during the 2017-2018 clinical year :( That was one of my main reasons for choosing UTK. So upset, trying to find an alternative at another vet school or something but so far no luck.

Well, finally got all our scheduling info from Tennessee... But then found out earlier today that they are not offering the advanced Diagnostic Imaging elective during the 2017-2018 clinical year :( That was one of my main reasons for choosing UTK. So upset, trying to find an alternative at another vet school or something but so far no luck.
Oh man that really stinks! Maybe you can find one at another school or even a specialist center and do it as an elective?

Have you looked at Ohio State? I don't know exactly what it covers but on our 2017-18 on-site electives there is a diagnostic imaging elective, as well as ultrasound, and radiation oncology (@Filly Bay do you know more?)