Class of 2017.... how you doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reactions: 1 user
@WeimMama im a 4th year at Mizzou. Just recently finished all my rotations and am just waiting for time to pass until graduation. What questions do you have?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have such senioritis right now guys, it's unreal. I swear I can't make myself care about things like homework assignments anymore, I just want to be done! I need a good kick in the pants because I should be working on my radiology unknowns not browsing SDN... ugh

I have such senioritis right now guys, it's unreal. I swear I can't make myself care about things like homework assignments anymore, I just want to be done! I need a good kick in the pants because I should be working on my radiology unknowns not browsing SDN... ugh

SDN>>>>>radiology.

Am I helping? :)

Reactions: 4 users
If anyone in here either is in clinics or recently has gone through clinics at any of these schools, and is willing to answer some questions, holla at me:

Auburn, Iowa, Mizzou, Kansas, Texas A&M
KSU 4th year

@WeimMama another 4th year at Mizzou if you have questions

On that note, I just started my last rotation. 3 weeks of radiation vacation!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey quick question. Our administration asked us today if we got anything out of 4th year presentations and if not how we could change it. As of now every 4th year student does a 12 to 15 minute presentation over a case, vet topic, navle prep, or something along those lines. We have 2 to 3 people present every Friday starting the second rotation of 4th year going until the last rotation. It is somewhat helpful that they force us to get up in front of about 100 people once but I'm not sure how much everyone really gets out of it.
So my question is does your school do something like this, what's different, do you like it, what would make it better?
Thanks in advance!

Hey quick question. Our administration asked us today if we got anything out of 4th year presentations and if not how we could change it. As of now every 4th year student does a 12 to 15 minute presentation over a case, vet topic, navle prep, or something along those lines. We have 2 to 3 people present every Friday starting the second rotation of 4th year going until the last rotation. It is somewhat helpful that they force us to get up in front of about 100 people once but I'm not sure how much everyone really gets out of it.
So my question is does your school do something like this, what's different, do you like it, what would make it better?
Thanks in advance!
We do third year presentations which are supposed to be research-y in nature, and about 30 minutes of presentation? Not sure if I remember the time length. I don't remember the specifics because I did mine on my actual research project instead of a topic that needed to be freshly researched like everyone else. I think basically, you pick a topic of any kind that interests you and you have to have so many papers (ie primary lit) that you've referenced. I don't think you can use textbooks at all.

I don't think it's a great use of our time, but it is an easy A, I guess. No one watches your presentation because it's given during the lunch hour and no one is under any obligation to do so. I remember being terrified because the Dean was there for mine, and actually asked me a question that was fairly hard -- everyone else got off so easily!

I think your school does it better than mine already, by forcing it to be a vet topic or NAVLE prep. We get so many esoteric topics that just won't be useful. I think maybe requiring certain topics to be exhausted first would help, although I don't know how fair that would be. Something like, you have to exhaust the top X bovine diseases for NAVLE, for porcine, for dogs/cats, etc.

We do third year presentations which are supposed to be research-y in nature, and about 30 minutes of presentation? Not sure if I remember the time length. I don't remember the specifics because I did mine on my actual research project instead of a topic that needed to be freshly researched like everyone else. I think basically, you pick a topic of any kind that interests you and you have to have so many papers (ie primary lit) that you've referenced. I don't think you can use textbooks at all.

I don't think it's a great use of our time, but it is an easy A, I guess. No one watches your presentation because it's given during the lunch hour and no one is under any obligation to do so. I remember being terrified because the Dean was there for mine, and actually asked me a question that was fairly hard -- everyone else got off so easily!

I think your school does it better than mine already, by forcing it to be a vet topic or NAVLE prep. We get so many esoteric topics that just won't be useful. I think maybe requiring certain topics to be exhausted first would help, although I don't know how fair that would be. Something like, you have to exhaust the top X bovine diseases for NAVLE, for porcine, for dogs/cats, etc.
Thanks for the suggestions!

Last rotation! Less than four weeks. How did this happen so fast?

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks in advance!
Yeah we do it too. I did mine on compassion fatigue. I honestly thought it was annoying to have to it but I've learned a ton from other people's presentations I've gone to

Members don't see this ad :)
Tomorrow is the last day of clinics for Mizzou's c/o 2017 !! I can't believe how fast time has flown by! And Friday me and a group of girlfriends are going to Florida for a week of celebration and relaxation! It's been quite the ride the last 4 years!

Reactions: 7 users
Finished clinics today I also found a house to rent recently (quite the ordeal). Life is good! Countdown to May 12th!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 3 users
Turns out one of my very last patients on clinics is my own dog. Signed him up for a gastropexy tomorrow
Crazy. Always the way. The two years of vet student, I've had to bring in one of my animals every finals week. The last two as PhD, all solid. The only main dread going back in this fall is the next thing to go wrong with one of them.

Crazy. Always the way. The two years of vet student, I've had to bring in one of my animals every finals week. The last two as PhD, all solid. The only main dread going back in this fall is the next thing to go wrong with one of them.
Luckily there's not actually anything wrong with him right now. I'm just doing it prophylactically because he's a GSD. My luck he would get a GDV in the 2 month period when I'm no longer a student here but not yet an intern. I get the same discount here as I do as an intern and the pexy prices are going way up May 1st. I dont have any patients for tomorrow's sx day, so why not? Still nervous about anesthesia and abdominal surgery on my baby though :(

Luckily there's not actually anything wrong with him right now. I'm just doing it prophylactically because he's a GSD. My luck he would get a GDV in the 2 month period when I'm no longer a student here but not yet an intern. I get the same discount here as I do as an intern and the pexy prices are going way up May 1st. I dont have any patients for tomorrow's sx day, so why not? Still nervous about anesthesia and abdominal surgery on my baby though :(
Glad that it's preventative, but yup. Scary still. Hope it all goes smoothly!

Reactions: 1 users
I did the whole surgery myself and it went well! He is awake and recovering - looking sad and pouty :(

pkOJqZV.jpg
8TELZZE.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Right there with you guys. I am worried about my internship and don't want to disappoint them. How the eff am I supposed to teach students when I don't know stuff myself?!?

Right there with you guys. I am worried about my internship and don't want to disappoint them. How the eff am I supposed to teach students when I don't know stuff myself?!?
I may be giving away trade secrets, but when they ask you something you don't know the answer to, tell them to go look it up themselves and report back to you. Then while they're gone, frantically google research on your phone. But its also okay to say you don't know. Make them look up other stuff too, though, to keep them guessing.

Reactions: 11 users
I may be giving away trade secrets, but when they ask you something you don't know the answer to, tell them to go look it up themselves and report back to you. Then while they're gone, frantically google research on your phone. But its also okay to say you don't know. Make them look up other stuff too, though, to keep them guessing.
It's so much easier to ask than answer questions. You may only know 3/30 facts about something, but man you can ask for one of those facts so good. :p

It's so much easier to ask than answer questions. You may only know 3/30 facts about something, but man you can ask for one of those facts so good. :p

One of my make up assignments for missing two days of a rotation was to develop 20 multiple choice questions for future quizzes. It took much too long and was much more difficult than I imagined.... still better than two days of orthopedic surgery.

I'm ascurred I'm gonna **** up. I don't feel smart enough.
Pretty much what everyone else has said about effing up. And, you will have the support of your colleagues who won't let screw up and will hold your hand through **** (most of the time). I would have been lost this year without the other associate vets at my practice.