Class of 2016....how ya doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes. GTFO.

grumpy-cat-no-memes_9.jpg

Day 1 and radiology seems swell. Rotation mates trying to dodge out of weekends on call and everyone acting like they don't exist when they want help for equine rads.

Good times good times.

/grump.

Members don't see this ad :)
Day 1 and radiology seems swell. Rotation mates trying to dodge out of weekends on call and everyone acting like they don't exist when they want help for equine rads.

Good times good times.

/grump.

Cross out one more thing in your signature, and focus on this being the LAST ONE EVER. Maybe cross out one letter at a time as you go through. Every day is one day closer, and with 20 days left, it's such a tiny amount compared to what you have already done. Just keep civil and keep smiling and 14 more weekdays left...

Reactions: 7 users
Cross out one more thing in your signature, and focus on this being the LAST ONE EVER. Maybe cross out one letter at a time as you go through. Every day is one day closer, and with 20 days left, it's such a tiny amount compared to what you have already done. Just keep civil and keep smiling and 14 more weekdays left...
You're the best. :love: I'm so negative recently and I appreciate the perspective a lot. Gonna cross that **** off letter by letter.

Reactions: 5 users
Met up with the owner and office manager of a clinic today and spoke with one other vet there. I had some reservations going in based on things I had heard, nothing horrible, just that they are busy and vets tend to burn out there, but I felt so comfortable talking with them. They have an amazing facility, including a fancy new ultrasound machine. Just really enjoyed my conversation with them overall. I will be going back again later to observe them for a day and work closer with the one vet, so we shall see how a day in action goes. The only reason I am unsure is because of the comment that some of the vets have gotten burnt out working with them due to how busy they are.

I have another interview with a different clinic this week as well.

And I already have one offer that I need to respond to by the end of this week...

I feel like I am going to be torn a few different ways. Anybody want to just decide for me? Any words of wisdom from the current vets when it comes to deciding between places??

Met up with the owner and office manager of a clinic today and spoke with one other vet there. I had some reservations going in based on things I had heard, nothing horrible, just that they are busy and vets tend to burn out there, but I felt so comfortable talking with them. They have an amazing facility, including a fancy new ultrasound machine. Just really enjoyed my conversation with them overall. I will be going back again later to observe them for a day and work closer with the one vet, so we shall see how a day in action goes. The only reason I am unsure is because of the comment that some of the vets have gotten burnt out working with them due to how busy they are.

And I already have one offer that I need to respond to by the end of this week...

I feel like I am going to be torn a few different ways. Anybody want to just decide for me? Any words of wisdom from the current vets when it comes to deciding between places??
Skip the place with the high turnover.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 users

If vets are burning out there it could mean:

- they aren't given enough time for appointments
- they don't have enough help to accomplish what they need to for any given appointment
- they don't have enough time between appointments to write any records
- they are having to "squeeze in" emergencies or patients earlier or later in the day
- their "quality of life" is not a consideration/work is supposed to be their #1 priority
- there are tensions between employees, including doctors
- they aren't getting any mentoring or support for the tougher cases
Etc.

I don't know how you feel confidence-wise, but even a year out and I still consult my fellow doctors for many things/opinion/surgical help, etc. If they were all too busy, stressed or burnt out to help me, it would be a really rough time as a new grad. Like Minner said, I'd pass over a place with known burn-out problems or high turnover, no matter how nice their facility or how great a conversation you had with them, especially if you have other options.

Skip the place with the high turnover.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

If vets are burning out there it could mean:

- they aren't given enough time for appointments
- they don't have enough help to accomplish what they need to for any given appointment
- they don't have enough time between appointments to write any records
- they are having to "squeeze in" emergencies or patients earlier or later in the day
- their "quality of life" is not a consideration/work is supposed to be their #1 priority
- there are tensions between employees, including doctors
- they aren't getting any mentoring or support for the tougher cases
Etc.

I don't know how you feel confidence-wise, but even a year out and I still consult my fellow doctors for many things/opinion/surgical help, etc. If they were all too busy, stressed or burnt out to help me, it would be a really rough time as a new grad. Like Minner said, I'd pass over a place with known burn-out problems or high turnover, no matter how nice their facility or how great a conversation you had with them, especially if you have other options.

Thank you. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Radiology is exceeding expectations. "Jerk" clinician I'd heard about is actually just one of those ones who questions your knowledge incessantly, not actually mean.

And... I'm the only student on interested in exotics, which means I just helped with an esophagram on a baby sea turtle. Rads on ducks and chameleons and bunny ultrasounds, oh my. Heck yes.

10 more days! :D

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
No. :highfive:

I love me some radiology. I will gladly look at radiographs and do ultrasounds over (blech) surgery any day.

:highfive:

You and me both... I get nervous doing surgery. Had a large dog develop a large scrotal hematoma after a neuter I did, I felt so bad. Even though that could happen to anyone, I still felt like poop about it.

Three weeks left of clinics! Two weeks left til graduation! (Don't ask :p )

I discharged my last patient as a student today. It was a Wheaton (which my parents have), so it hit a little close to home. As I was walking back to the rounds room, I got a little teary eyed. Graduation, teaching surgery and internship, here I come!

Reactions: 2 users
So we have these clinical competencies we have to get signed off to graduate (which I'm sure you guys do too). However, getting some of them signed off is such a chore. I literally have not touched a cow during clinics, yet I have all these cow competencies to get signed off, which I was tested very intensely on in 2nd year.

I even sent an email to someone who said they would sign off on them with paragraphs explaining how I would do everything and they were rejected...

So we have these clinical competencies we have to get signed off to graduate (which I'm sure you guys do too). However, getting some of them signed off is such a chore. I literally have not touched a cow during clinics, yet I have all these cow competencies to get signed off, which I was tested very intensely on in 2nd year.

I even sent an email to someone who said they would sign off on them with paragraphs explaining how I would do everything and they were rejected...

We have a skills log we have to complete (200 skills). It doesn't matter how many you have of each species, for which I'm grateful. I didn't touch a bird on clinics and would be SOL if I had to submit avian skills.

1 more day (then the weekend technically). Graduation practice is Monday, then we graduate Saturday!

We have a book with all our competencies that we get first year and are supposed to get signed off as we progress through the years. Of course... this means I was running around our wellness center to get stupid things like surgeries signed off when I've been doing them monthly since second year, haha. Turned that sucker in yesterday and I'm set for graduation next week. :D

9 days left until graduation.

I'd definitely recommend to future years, place vacation rotations at the end if you are able to, it is awesome! And gives you time to interview/apply to state boards/finalize job offers, etc.

I'd definitely recommend to future years, place vacation rotations at the end if you are able to, it is awesome! And gives you time to interview/apply to state boards/finalize job offers, etc.
Ugh, we're not allowed to. Have to be on a campus rotation for our very first and last blocks.

I so should have done this but I really am enjoying my last rotation. Sooo laid back and I like the people I'm on with.

Kind of random question about rotations, but actually not really since you guys are talking about vacation :p Do most schools give breaks for holidays? I just mean major ones like Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Kind of random question about rotations, but actually not really since you guys are talking about vacation :p Do most schools give breaks for holidays? I just mean major ones like Thanksgiving and Christmas.

You can try to take one of your vacation rotations over one of these holidays. I did for thanksgiving but more so for NAVLE preparing and taking than the holiday. I didn't do anything for thanksgiving.

I was on rotation over Christmas. So for us you could try to get vacation rotations around those times but no guarantee.

We either get the week of Christmas or the week of New Years off. The other week you are assigned a holidary rotation. Not everything is available for those - just the in hospital ones to keep the hospital running. I'm pretty sure they aren't graded either. Most students preference to have Christmas off which I did, but got New Years off instead. Worked out though since I was assigned to radiology for the week of Christmas and radiology doesn't work weekends/holidays :).

Thanksgivings a no-go unless you schedule your rotation block for that time. Some rotations might not be open on the actual day of Thanksgiving though.

Hahahhaha. No. You can try to request lighter rotations around those holidays or a vacation so that you may be able to get them off but don't expect it. I managed to get Thanksgiving off but was on call Christmas.

Depends a lot on the rotation. If you are on a service that is open on the holiday ... Bummer for you. If you are on something closed, you luck out. At least, that is how it was at UMN.

My school gives us a 10 day winter break to include Christmas Eve/Day and New Year's Eve/Day, even if you are on ER. The school hires students (and pays them nicely) to work over the winter break.

If you are on ECCM or IM, you will likely have to go in on Thanksgiving and other holidays (except the ones mentioned above)

Last edited:
Last day of clinics today! I can't believe the day is finally here! I thought clinics would never end. I can't wait to be done and to get back to rehabbing. I also have a job :). Will be working at a clinic 5 miles from my house and start June 6th, I'm super excited!

My school gives us a 10 day winter break to include Christmas Eve/Day and New Year's Eve/Day, even if you are on ER. The school hires students (any pays them nicely) to work over the winter break.

If you are on ECCM or IM, you will likely have to go in on Thanksgiving and other holidays (except the ones mentioned above)
What a surprisingly humane thing to do. We're the same as most where it totally depends on your rotation and if you're lucky enough to snag a vacation slot during the holiday(s) you care about.

My school gives us a 10 day winter break to include Christmas Eve/Day and New Year's Eve/Day, even if you are on ER. The school hires students (any pays them nicely) to work over the winter break.

Which school is that?!

Just got a job contract. Trying to figure out all the things.........my head already hurts...

where are you headed?! ive seen all your jet setting on facebook - your a busy woman!

Done with school! Graduation is tomorrow!! :happy:

Last day of clinics tomorrow! Ending it with a champagne toast and then copious amounts of alcohol to follow later that evening.

Senior sendoff tomorrow (big party with all of the faculty and students) and then oath and hooding on Saturday! Can't believe it!

Reactions: 3 users
I am oath'd and hood'd and they keep calling us all "Dr."

I'm pretty convinced this is just a very lucid dream and I'm going to wake up in the medicine rounds room or something...

Reactions: 13 users