Class of 2015... How ya doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh, and this past week's wins:

Bought a house and a horse.

I promise I wasn't looking for the latter... :whistle:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
One of the places I did an externship (and got a stellar review) is looking for a lab animal vet, no boarding needed. It's further from where I work now, and I'm sure a tough environment from even the whisperings I heard, but I can't help feeling like I should apply...argh.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I've been off for a week. I tried to tie up all loose ends before I left, but I'm sure there's going to be at least a minor ****-show for me tomorrow.

I've been away that long twice now and I always come back to a full box of call-backs, even though I leave the important stuff for other people to follow up on.

I need to come up with my resident research project in the next week. Ugh. So far my ideas are too simple, too elaborate, or have already been done once I start looking into it.

Feel like I haven't been around in a while but things are pretty good. Have two Saturdays in a row off, have some fun plans both weekends. Catching up on TWD with my husband now that Season 6 is in the library. Been working on losing weight which is going steadily and the byproducts are that I'm meal prepping every Sunday so we're eating out a whole lot less and saving money. Got my biggest production bonus yet this past quarter and put a large chunk of change toward my loans. Can't complain :)

Reactions: 6 users
Yesterday I had an appointment where (long story short) the new owners of the animal were living out of state so I called them to update them on the visit. I introduce myself over the phone and the person says, "Are you the one that looks like she's 13?!"(Having looked me up on our website).

I wanted to say, "No, I'm the one that looks like she's been through eight years of school with a doctorate degree and enough loans to purchase a house" but I just said, "Yep, that's me..." Sigh. "Haha, sorry, but I'm sure you hear that all the time!" Well yes, yes I do, but it never gets any less rude :yeahright:

Reactions: 2 users
Yesterday I had an appointment where (long story short) the new owners of the animal were living out of state so I called them to update them on the visit. I introduce myself over the phone and the person says, "Are you the one that looks like she's 13?!"(Having looked me up on our website).

I wanted to say, "No, I'm the one that looks like she's been through eight years of school with a doctorate degree and enough loans to purchase a house" but I just said, "Yep, that's me..." Sigh. "Haha, sorry, but I'm sure you hear that all the time!" Well yes, yes I do, but it never gets any less rude :yeahright:
Man, couldn't have just used a hair color description or something? Sigh. I know the feels.

My fiance and I finally have internet. my horse moves here on Sunday. Work is going ok. Miss the food animals :( One of the best techs I've ever had the pleasure of working with is leaving the clinic after Monday. I'm not happy about it but when the techs work 12 hours when they're scheduled instead of having shorter shifts, I can understand why it would be necessary to leave.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tonight I had a family drive 2 hours one way to the clinic to try to save a stray kitten they found outside their house a week ago. She died 10 minutes after she arrived. My heart hurts.

Being a veterinarian is hard and exhausting, be a resident even more so, but I have to say, I absolutely love what I do overall. Sure, some days stink and are terrible, but I get to be involved in some of the coolest things here at my residency. It has been an exhilarating week of cool cardio and anesthesia stuff!

I emailed my local wildlife center to see if their current volunteer vet would mind an extra set of hands. Haven't heard back yet :\
There may or may not be a new wildlife place opening up in the next 1-2 years. Two of the vets in my clinic will be doing their work if it all goes through. I honestly have no interest, but it sounds like it'll be a pretty cool setup. They may end up looking for others to help out as well. I know that doesn't help you now, but maybe soon!

Well, I worked my first Thanksgiving weekend in SA private practice... and I saw ZERO FB/pancreatitis cases. wtf. I did my first toe amp a few weeks ago though, which has healed beautifully.

Well, I worked my first Thanksgiving weekend in SA private practice... and I saw ZERO FB/pancreatitis cases. wtf. I did my first toe amp a few weeks ago though, which has healed beautifully.
I worked ER and sat/Sun same for us, bizarre. All eyeballs followed by a run of neuro

Eh. People always talk about "here come the pancreatitis cases!" but it hasn't been my experience that I see any more or less of them at xmas/thanksgiving/etc. A few "OMG MY DOG ATE SOME CHICKEN BONES" kinda things, but otherwise just a normal day on ER. Except busier.

And with more euths.

I do feel like I see more UOs around the holidays. Dunno if it's stressed out cats from visitors and schedule changes and all that, or ....

I did score a nice blasto dx on a dog presenting for glaucoma (threw in the testing as kinda a "well, it might be blasto, but probably not" and then it turned out positive), but the dog declined and was subsequently euth'd. Drat.

Eh. People always talk about "here come the pancreatitis cases!" but it hasn't been my experience that I see any more or less of them at xmas/thanksgiving/etc. A few "OMG MY DOG ATE SOME CHICKEN BONES" kinda things, but otherwise just a normal day on ER. Except busier.

And with more euths.

I do feel like I see more UOs around the holidays. Dunno if it's stressed out cats from visitors and schedule changes and all that, or ....

I did score a nice blasto dx on a dog presenting for glaucoma (threw in the testing as kinda a "well, it might be blasto, but probably not" and then it turned out positive), but the dog declined and was subsequently euth'd. Drat.

Hmmm interesting note on your experience...

Yeah, I am kind of envisioning the same about stressed kitties.

Oooh blasto... Haven't diagnosed it yet. I have a case of multiple-limb mild lameness, back pain, and now mild generalized lymphadenopathy that I'm thinking either fungal or cancer based on rads. Sent them to a radiologist before doing anything else though so we will see...

And with more euths.

I've been averaging 4-5 euthanasias a day for almost two weeks now, and I'm sick of it. I've also done more "multi animal/ single household" euthanasias in the past two weeks than in my entire career so far. Two dogs here, three cats here, two horses there...UGH. This needs to stop.

I've been averaging 4-5 euthanasias a day for almost two weeks now, and I'm sick of it. I've also done more "multi animal/ single household" euthanasias in the past two weeks than in my entire career so far. Two dogs here, three cats here, two horses there...UGH. This needs to stop.

:singing: It's ... the ... most .. wonderful time ... of the year .... :singing:

My overnight shift Sunday had more euths than any other type of case, and that includes the 4 that were transferred to me from previous shift.
:boom:

We had a guy bring in an ermine for euthanasia on Saturday. Was totally fine. Healthy. He just had live-trapped it and wanted it killed.

I mean, I'm glad he didn't make it suffer himself, but.... geez.... I am not your local wildlife executioner of perfectly healthy animals.

I took it home and let my kids release it in a big wildlife area near a pond.

Reactions: 4 users
Ermine-800x600px-400x300.jpg

I haven't been doing more euths, but I did have one family bring me 3 cats to euthanize, and it was our first time ever seeing any animals for this family, let alone these cats. Ugh that was an awful appointment (they surrendered one to the clinic - sweetest kitty I've ever met, I euthanized one, and they took home the chronic vomit/diarrhea cat and declined workup).

I feel like I am currently drowning (more than usual) in things to get done. Stupid finals time on top of presentations and being a resident with a ridiculous schedule...

Chiming in on the holiday euthanasia bandwagon. I hate December.

In other news, as a symbol of just how much I hate surgery and how little I do, I have only just now done my first solo dog spay. 19 months after graduation. Feel free to point and laugh.

In other news, as a symbol of just how much I hate surgery and how little I do, I have only just now done my first solo dog spay. 19 months after graduation. Feel free to point and laugh.

No laughing here. It can be a much more major procedure than people give credit for.

No pointing and laughing here, that's a milestone I hope to never have in my career. I don't even like minor wound repairs and care

No laughing here, I hate surgery. Doing surgery gives me insomnia that night thinking if the pet is ok and my brain won't shut up about the 43456 complications that could happen. I'll take medicine cases any day over surgery.

No laughing here, I hate surgery. Doing surgery gives me insomnia that night thinking if the pet is ok and my brain won't shut up about the 43456 complications that could happen. I'll take medicine cases any day over surgery.
I know you understand me, DVMD. #teaminternalmedicine

I kind of love surgery now, which is something I NEVER thought I'd say...still not a fan of the dog spays but I've made it through a few now without calling in my mentor coworker. Wound repairs and cystotomies are pretty much my favorite thing to do. I admit though, when I see a previous surgical patient (especially the spays) I'm sincerely overjoyed to see they are still alive.

I kind of love surgery now, which is something I NEVER thought I'd say...still not a fan of the dog spays but I've made it through a few now without calling in my mentor coworker. Wound repairs and cystotomies are pretty much my favorite thing to do. I admit though, when I see a previous surgical patient (especially the spays) I'm sincerely overjoyed to see they are still alive.
I enjoy having friends like you so that we can trade :D

Holy critical cases tonight batman. No good outcomes :-/ so far we are 1/6 for critical things making it this week. BUT we did get 1 of 2 post cardiac arrests out the door so thats a real win (and it belonged to a student). Nearly everything that has come in tonight has been a surgical candidate. Only because the resident on call and I both have a major final exam on monday morning i think.

Holy critical cases tonight batman. No good outcomes :-/ so far we are 1/6 for critical things making it this week. BUT we did get 1 of 2 post cardiac arrests out the door so thats a real win (and it belonged to a student). Nearly everything that has come in tonight has been a surgical candidate. Only because the resident on call and I both have a major final exam on monday morning i think.

I think there's just something in the water tonight. We average about one emergency surgery a week. Over my six hour half shift (which, naturally, turned into ten hours), we saw a septic abdomen, dystocia, and pyometra. And the septic abdomen is only 8 weeks old. :(

hey remember that time you were thinking about pursuing a surgery residency? ;)

Same here, I love seeing my patients back for 2 week postop rechecks! All surgery is awesome but I especially love thoracic cases, which I never thought I would. Not a huge fan of open wound management (not enough surgerizing) or butt surgeries though.

I like both but only if they involve the nervous system. The ideas of cutting into an abdomen or maintaining a diabetic long term both squick me out.