Program-Specific Info / Q's Clarkson University MSOT 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

occtherapy2019

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all. If you've yet to decide on an OT program or have even yet to be accepted into one, I feel you. I disappointingly didn't even receive an interview at Chatham, my home university, and have been placed on a waitlist at D'Youville and Bay Path. My advisor falsely led me to believe Bs in a few prerequisites and in-progress classes shouldn't be a huge issue, but I believe that has been my biggest downfall. I finished my bachelors degree (bio) in three years and was hoping to roll right into a program. I have a TON of great experience, but hours don't seem to hold a candle to GPA at many schools I've applied to.

I came across Clarkson's program in late December and thought it seemed perfect. I have family connections to the Adirondack Region and know just from my travels what a pretty well respected school Clarkson is. I initially wasn't turned off by the fact that the program was in the second step of accreditation, but after a little more investigation and insight from people on this forum, I've been told to avoid the program like the plague. I understand that new programs have growing pains, but I'm so hesitant to attend a program like Clarkson if all of the things I've heard are true.

I've been invited to an interview next month and thought about declining for a little while, but after receiving an email saying we would have the opportunity to connect with current students in the program, I think I am still going to go and feel it out for myself. If something should happen that I should receive a spot off either waitlist, I will likely accept. But throwing away a chance at starting a program this fall seems foolish to me.

Clarkson's pre-requisite list is pretty extensive and they require a decently high minimum pre-req GPA with a lot more science requirements than any other program. As a bio major I'm hoping the cohort will be filled with a lot of students similar to myself. A strong group of students should likely be able to survive a little turbulence in a program, right?

I guess my intention of starting this thread is to see if there's anyone else hesitantly attending the interviews. Has anyone heard any GOOD things about the program? I'm searching for a little piece of mind as to what could be the best or worst (and most expensive) decision of my life. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I also have an interview with them in April, and am a bit hesitant in going from all it is that I've heard about the program on this forum. I think I'll end up going, just to form my own opinion but I don't really know. I've been waitlisted everywhere else I've applied to as well :( this process can be so frustrating

Hi, I also have an interview with them in April, and am a bit hesitant in going from all it is that I've heard about the program on this forum. I think I'll end up going, just to form my own opinion but I don't really know. I've been waitlisted everywhere else I've applied to as well :( this process can be so frustrating

Have you heard anything about the program other than from the one forum on here? Are you from NY?

Hey all. If you've yet to decide on an OT program or have even yet to be accepted into one, I feel you. I disappointingly didn't even receive an interview at Chatham, my home university, and have been placed on a waitlist at D'Youville and Bay Path. My advisor falsely led me to believe Bs in a few prerequisites and in-progress classes shouldn't be a huge issue, but I believe that has been my biggest downfall. I finished my bachelors degree (bio) in three years and was hoping to roll right into a program. I have a TON of great experience, but hours don't seem to hold a candle to GPA at many schools I've applied to.

I came across Clarkson's program in late December and thought it seemed perfect. I have family connections to the Adirondack Region and know just from my travels what a pretty well respected school Clarkson is. I initially wasn't turned off by the fact that the program was in the second step of accreditation, but after a little more investigation and insight from people on this forum, I've been told to avoid the program like the plague. I understand that new programs have growing pains, but I'm so hesitant to attend a program like Clarkson if all of the things I've heard are true.

I've been invited to an interview next month and thought about declining for a little while, but after receiving an email saying we would have the opportunity to connect with current students in the program, I think I am still going to go and feel it out for myself. If something should happen that I should receive a spot off either waitlist, I will likely accept. But throwing away a chance at starting a program this fall seems foolish to me.

Clarkson's pre-requisite list is pretty extensive and they require a decently high minimum pre-req GPA with a lot more science requirements than any other program. As a bio major I'm hoping the cohort will be filled with a lot of students similar to myself. A strong group of students should likely be able to survive a little turbulence in a program, right?

I guess my intention of starting this thread is to see if there's anyone else hesitantly attending the interviews. Has anyone heard any GOOD things about the program? I'm searching for a little piece of mind as to what could be the best or worst (and most expensive) decision of my life. Thanks!

hi! im not sure if you will see this message since its about 4 months later. But I was just wondering what you decided to do? I have been accepted to the program and I am still on the fence because of all the bad things that I have heard about it.