CK score delay 2015 and uploading USMLE transcript ERAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AMS22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took my CK exam in late July, and fell into the score delay bracket. I'm expecting my score on September 16. If I apply on September 15 on ERAS, and I request my USMLE transcript, which transcript will be uploaded--the one before or after my score is released on September 16? Is there a way for me to know if I need to re-submit the transcript (meaning whether or not the CK was on the transcript I requested on September 15)?

Members don't see this ad.

Just wrote this out for someone else, but this is how I processed the decision:

Release your scores Tuesday. This will ONLY release your Step 1 score.

When your Step 2 score comes back on Wednesday, look at it before you do anything else. Here are how the outcomes break down in my head, from most obvious to least obvious:

1. With an Above Average Step 1 Score for the specialty you're applying to

a. Step 2 score better than or same as Step 1 score - Resubmit.
b. Step 2 score WORSE than Step 1 score - Do not resubmit until interviews come out

2. With a Step 1 score about at the mean for your specialty of choice

a. Step 2 score better than or same as Step 1 score - Resubmit
b. Step 2 score worse than Step 1 score - Likely do not resubmit until interviews come out, though some advisers differ in how they feel about this.

3. With a Step 1 score significantly below the mean for your specialty

a. Step 2 score better than Step 1 score - Resubmit
b. Step 2 score the same as Step 1 score - Likely resubmit, get some advising before making a final decision.
c. Step 2 score worse than Step 1 score - Likely don't submit until after interviews come out, get some advising before making final decision.

Of course it's all an opinion. But the bottom line: Submit now, then make a choice later about whether to resubmit with your Step 2 score. If you don't submit on Tuesday with your Step 1 score, you don't get the option to withhold your Step 2 score.

Just resubmit to be safe, there's no absolutely no harm if you intended on submitting the CK score in the first place

Just resubmit to be safe, there's no absolutely no harm if you intended on submitting the CK score in the first place

If you have a downward trend w/CK compared to step I, it would be to your detriment to show that score if you had the option not to release it. It is possible such a fact could be the tipping point to not grant you an interview BUT if you do well on the interview (which you might not have gotten had you shown the score), then you're still in consideration at that program and most PDs rate the interview as most important for ranking anyways. Lots of hypotheticals, but having options is always good.

Members don't see this ad :)
When you guys are saying a downward trend, how many points are we talking here? I did well above average on step 1, and my CK score was two points lower. Is this something to worry about? I will have to submit both scores anyways, but I just wanted to see if it's something to worry about.

Also I believe that this algorithm may not be applicable to IMGs as PDs rarely invite IMGs without all their scores in order on application. Believe I wish it would not be the case as my step 1 is 260+ and I mostly likely did not do well on my CK. Unless someone else has evidence to prove the contrary.

Good answer. My only concern is that I may be filtered "out" based on my Step 1 score, when my Step 2 score could have filtered me "in." I'm hoping this process doesn't occur so quickly that one day would affect whether or not I am "in" or "out." I don't know how much sense I'm making but I'm going off things I have read on other posts. Good thing about your strategy is that if I somehow bombed Step 2, no one would know.

Good answer. My only concern is that I may be filtered "out" based on my Step 1 score, when my Step 2 score could have filtered me "in." I'm hoping this process doesn't occur so quickly that one day would affect whether or not I am "in" or "out." I don't know how much sense I'm making but I'm going off things I have read on other posts. Good thing about your strategy is that if I somehow bombed Step 2, no one would know.

If you would be "filtered out" based on your Step 1 score, chances are that adding a Step 2 score that is worse would only be to your detriment. So submit Tuesday so that you have the option not to submit your step 2 score.

If you would be "filtered out" based on your Step 1 score, chances are that adding a Step 2 score that is worse would only be to your detriment. So submit Tuesday so that you have the option not to submit your step 2 score.

Question

I have not submitted yet but my USMLE transcript is uploaded already. I am expecting scores tomorrow.

If I don't submit my application before step 2 scores come out tomorrow at 11 EST, will my step 2 score automatically be on that previously uploaded USMLE transcript that is sitting in my ERAS? Or do you have to manually hit some kind of re-submit transcript request to get step 2 on your ERAS?

In other words.....if I don't submit my ERAS before scores come out tomorrow morning, does the step 2 score automatically get placed on the ERAS so I would be SOL in terms of deciding whether or not my step 2 score is good enough to have it on there?

Question

I have not submitted yet but my USMLE transcript is uploaded already. I am expecting scores tomorrow.

If I don't submit my application before step 2 scores come out tomorrow at 11 EST, will my step 2 score automatically be on that previously uploaded USMLE transcript that is sitting in my ERAS? Or do you have to manually hit some kind of re-submit transcript request to get step 2 on your ERAS?

Yes.

In other words.....if I don't submit my ERAS before scores come out tomorrow morning, does the step 2 score automatically get placed on the ERAS so I would be SOL in terms of deciding whether or not my step 2 score is good enough to have it on there?

Yes. Automatic if you submit after Step 2 comes out.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the advice everyone. I submitted today, woohoo! The USMLE transcript was uploaded in no time. I will wait to see what happens tomorrow before submitting again. I'm hoping for an awesome score on Step 2, but you can't be too sure with those tests. If it doesn't go the way I want, at least I submitted today.

You can also view on ERAS specifically which scores are listed on you're USMLE transcript to verify the submission of all the scores.

What happens to your ERAS "timestamp" if you submit Step 2CK scores AFTER submitting your ERAS application?

I am concerned because of the recently posted delay in score reporting (Sept 6th), and because I have heard how important it is to apply early. Thoughts?

EDIT: I realized that apps go out Sept 15th so this delay doesn't affect anything...

TL;DR I'm an idiot