CK question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zoster

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question which was puzzling:

To prevent transmission of virus from an adult with Herpes zoster to unvaccinated child, what would be the best option?

Vaccinate the child with varicella - which for me makes sense
while the answer to it was Avoid contact.

Can anyone please confirm and explain the answer to me?

Members don't see this ad.

I have a question which was puzzling:

To prevent transmission of virus from an adult with Herpes zoster to unvaccinated child, what would be the best option?

well zoster is usually a reactivation virus that arises in the setting of an immunocompromised state (AIDS, steroids, immunodeficiencies) you wouldnt vaccinate a child with a live vaccine especially zoster. it's usually given to the elderly (65 and older) and immunocompromised. so you would not vaccinate and just avoid contact. do you know the other answer choices. where is this question from?

well zoster is usually a reactivation virus that arises in the setting of an immunocompromised state (AIDS, steroids, immunodeficiencies) you wouldnt vaccinate a child with a live vaccine especially zoster. it's usually given to the elderly (65 and older) and immunocompromised. so you would not vaccinate and just avoid contact. do you know the other answer choices. where is this question from?

Thank you. It was from one of the neuro CMS forms.

So what I had in my mind, was a varicella vaccine which can be given as PEP to children from 1 year onwards can prevent Chicken pox in the children as it's the same virus. But I believe the answer was avoid contact.

Would take awhile for the kid to mount an immune response to the vaccine. Would be useless for preventing transmission of a disease that is going on right then

Members don't see this ad :)
Would take awhile for the kid to mount an immune response to the vaccine. Would be useless for preventing transmission of a disease that is going on right then

Ideally, the vaccine should be given within 3 to 5 days after the person is exposed. This may prevent varicella or make it less severe (source Vaccines: VPD-VAC/Varicella/Post-exposure Vaccination). The incubation period for varicella is 10 to 21 days after exposure to a herpes zoster rash. There is enough time to mount an immune response to the vaccine.

I think the learning objective of this question is varicella transmission, not PEP. So the answer is to avoid contact if outside the hospital (like in this question), and airborne precautions if the Q is about hospitalized patients.

Last edited:
Ideally, the vaccine should be given within 3 to 5 days after the person is exposed. This may prevent varicella or make it less severe (source Vaccines: VPD-VAC/Varicella/Post-exposure Vaccination). The incubation period for varicella is 10 to 21 days after exposure to a herpes zoster rash. There is enough time to mount an immune response to the vaccine.

I think the learning objective of this question is varicella transmission, not PEP. So the answer is to avoid contact if outside the hospital (like in this question), and airborne precautions if the Q is about hospitalized patients.

Yep, one of those questions where we have to think what the questioner is asking I think.