CHSU Class of 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xoxotram

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
Is anyone going to the interview at CHSU this month?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Already interviewed and have been accepted to CHSU, California Health Sciences University class of 2021.

Reactions: 1 user
Already interviewed and have been accepted to CHSU, California Health Sciences University class of 2021.

Congrats on the acceptance! How was the interview? I have mine next week!

Thank you. Interview was exactly the same as someone had posted about. I read the following post and it was EXACTLY the same, even the writing assignment was the same. So take it from me, prepare a writing sample ahead of time because the essay questions are the same. I did the one talking about social media isolating our youth. During my interview there was only 27 people present. I interviewed September 30, 2016 and was accepted Oct 6, 2016. Here is what someone said 05/2015:

Warning: This post is very long and detailed.

I submitted my completed PharmCAS application on December 16, 2015. I was sent an interview invitation on January 12, 2016. I had my interview on Friday, January 22, 2016 at 8:45am. I was offered a seat for the class of 2020 on January 26, 2016. There was no secondary application required. A $250 non-refundable deposit is required upon acceptance.

Upon arrival (around 8:30am), I walked in to a crowded lobby of 50 other applicants chatting away. I went straight to the front desk and was warmly greeted by the front desk staff and handed my name tag after getting checked-in. The lobby was adorned with a large sign welcoming the future class of 2020.

I found my way towards the left side of the lobby where I immediately clicked with three other female applicants. Everyone was warm and friendly without being fake; everyone felt so sincere. My new squad made our way to the classroom and found a table. The front of the room was riddled with snacks and CHSU swag, such as heart shaped pill containers with the school logo.

The morning started with a short statement by the Director of Admissions (5 min). This was followed by the Dean's Welcome (10 min). Both individuals were very enthusiastic and radiated a sense of comfort. They basically had me at hello. I felt that I belonged here.

The applicants were placed into groups of 6-8 people and sent to different scheduled events. My rotation was as follows:

Campus Tour (20 mins) - All of the faculty and staff members that I walked by in the hall took the time to greet me. Professors in their offices waved as we walked by their door. The campus is fairly new, modern and very clean. The classroom was large and open with floor to ceiling windows on an entire wall. They offer free, yes I said free tea and coffee services to all of their students. Their library is quite small but they provide all of their students with electronic copies of the required text. They have a small clinic with a few patient rooms. There is also a mock IV compounding room. There is a larger clinic being built across the street. Student housing is also in the works.

Writing Prompt (40 mins) - We were given three prompts to choose from. There was one on your opinion on cheating. I chose to write about my opinion on social media and how it affects our relationship with people. I do not remember what the third prompt stated.

Presentation on Financial Aid (20 mins) - There was a brief slide show presentation on the types of financial aid available.

Interview (20 mins) - Their interview process included a pharmacist and faculty member. I was very worried about the interview because I was the second to last group to have my interview. During a brief break between the rotation, many of the previous interviewees complained about how difficult their interview was because the interviewers were very astute and strict.

I gave each of my interviewers a firm handshake and then took a seat in the small faculty office. After I sat down, I made sure to ask if they had read my application or personal statements prior to the interview. They were honest and said no. This allowed me to figure out the areas that I should focus on.

All three of us were laughing during the interview for most of the time. I made sure to steer clear from statements that they constantly hear. I asked the interviewers how they ended up at CHSU, what research they are working on, what they believe the school's mission statement is, what do they like to do for fun, and where is the best place to find local organic produce. I also went as far as asking how sustainable their campus is. It was as if we were talking casually. They asked a few standard interview questions, but honestly I spent most of my interview asking the questions.

Team-Based Learning Activity (20 mins): My group of five and another group a five were given a scenario and ten items. We had to work as a group to rank each item and its importance according to the scenario given. I may have overstepped my boundaries and was quite vocal in making the final decisions. I have a very strong personality and have already thought about what I would need in this particular scenario. I ended up speaking for my group, stating the items and why they were chosen in that order to the staff member.

After the interview: The staff member that held this station told me how impressed she was of me when I spoke to her a few weeks later on the phone. Also, she complimented my purse during the interview day and during our phone call. Sidenote: I made sure to dress outside the standard interview attire, and it paid off. I stood out, but in a good way. I was able to showcase my unique personality, as well as reinforce my interest in fashion. Tip: Do not wear heels, it is completely impractical and frankly, makes you look inefficient. I wore flats.

Lunch (30 mins): There was a catered lunch with various sandwiches and salads. The faculty took the initiative to sit at the tables with the interviewees. I was a lucky, the assistant professor of biochemistry (with a concentration in HIV protease inhibitors) sat right next to me! We had a blast talking about our interests, including food and TV shows. He was also the ski club coordinator. Yes, CHSU has a ski club, in addition to a yoga club.

Q&A with Students (25 min) - The faculty and staff left the room as two current CHSU provided a video presentation on their CHSU experience. Since the university is fairly new, everyone knows everyone. Therefore, when it is someone's birthday, they go all out: balloons, cake, one of the girls even had a pinata!

Q&A with Faculty and Closing Statements (30 min) - The room was open to questions. After the closing statements, the Director of Admissions stood near the door to shake each person's hand. Each student was sent home with a folder, pen, and campus information paperwork. The person at the front desk lobby said goodbye to every individual. She even offered to take my picture in front of the sign. I politely declined, I did not want to seem that desperate. I walked the campus one more time as everyone else was leaving.

I left the interview feeling confident and in love with the campus vibe and faculty. I was even invited to a weekend bonding retreat and zoo outing with my other fellow classmates. I was not able to attend the event due to a prior engagement.

Unfortunately, CHSU does not provide government assisted financial aid due to its infancy. I would have to seek out private loans to attend CHSU, my parents filed for bankruptcy a few years ago and I would not have been approved for private loans. I withdrew my acceptance from CHSU through a letter in the mail. This was a very hard decision and I expect great things to come from California Health Sciences University. Every single person that I met during my interview was friendly and sincere. I wish nothing but the best for the program and hope to work with individuals that finish the CHSU program in the future.

diploma milllllllllllll!!!! Don't go if you have a brain :)

diploma milllllllllllll!!!! Don't go if you have a brain :)
It doesn't matter where you get your diploma all that matters is that you pass the state boards. They pay pharmacists because they passed the boards and not where they attending pharmacy school.

Hello,
do you remember what kind of interview questions were asked? Someone said they were part of a group interview. Is that true or do they interview each person one on one?