Chronically Ill Child and PREMED

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pandatree2

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I don't know if I am posting in the correct area but here it goes.
I have made the decision to go to medical school and will be taking premed classes shortly. I understand it is a very hard and long road. I have been researching and gathering all information for the possible future for months as well as lurking on this site for a while LOL. This site has been SUPER helpful and I am glad there is a place where everyone can chat! Here is my predicament:

I am a single mother with an 8 year old daughter who has Cystic Fibrosis. I do have a great support system and live close to my family, I also work full time and currently going to school full time. I have lived with my partner for 3 years and we are thinking Long Term so I know it is serious, but taking that with a grain of salt ( I know you cant put anything in concrete until you have a ring, a thank you lol). Has anyone else had the experience of going to medschool with a chronically ill child or even known someone who took this path?

I feel quite selfish taking on this journey to advance myself and my little family when I know I could be spending time with her and that this will be the constant battle for the next 10+ years or forever since doctors work a lot of hours.

I would like tips/advice from and outsiders view please!

Members don't see this ad.

As a mother especially a single mother, this isn't a choice I would make. And my opinion IS biased because I made the conscious decision not to put 100% into the pursuit of med school until my kid finished high school.

A supportive husband and/or close, supportive family members would be a must for me to even consider this.

Reactions: 1 user
As a mother especially a single mother, this isn't a choice I would make. And my opinion IS biased because I made the conscious decision not to put 100% into the pursuit of med school until my kid finished high school.

A supportive husband and/or close, supportive family members would be a must for me to even consider this.

thank you for your input! :D

I have two children. I had them during medical school. It was very hard. As they get older it's harder because they realize if I'm missing things that they didn't realize earlier in life. With cystic fibrosis realize you will take diseases home from the hospital and from work that could be life threatening for your child? Would you forgive yourself if you thought you got your child sick?

That would be the worst case scenario. I bring home random things that my kids would likely get at school, colds, parvovirus, etc. who know where they really come from but I blame myself everytime they get sick. I recognize that this is not rational. I regard it as strengthening their immune system still and they are rarely sick. I can't take time off to get them when I get a phone call saying one has a fever or the other has been vomiting. I'm in residency but once I finish it's still not something I'd be able to do. If my child had CF and I was a single parent it's not a pathway I would pursue. I've known one successfully single mother (I think she's single). It's more rare just because most people going through medical school are young and without children.

If medicine is the only thing you can imagine and that can make you happy it can be done. You will miss important milestones in your child's life throughout training. I have made it to most but have missed several as well. A good support system is key and I would do it again.