Choosing the Right Imaging Studies in Pediatrics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Linus van Pelt

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am looking for a good resource for selection of appropriate pediatric imaging. Especially when it comes to deciding whether a CT/MRI should be with, without, or with and without contrast, I never feel 100% confident. I am aware of the ACR appropriateness criteria, but it's not very navigable and the pediatric section is incomplete.
I would be fine with an online or book resource.
Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,
I am looking for a good resource for selection of appropriate pediatric imaging. Especially when it comes to deciding whether a CT/MRI should be with, without, or with and without contrast, I never feel 100% confident. I am aware of the ACR appropriateness criteria, but it's not very navigable and the pediatric section is incomplete.
I would be fine with an online or book resource.
Thanks for your help!
One of the best resources is your local radiologist. For non standard indications they can help guide the right study based upon local expertise especially outside of academic centers.

FWIW, CT without and with is almost never indicated and MR if you want contrast is almost always without and with.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
https://www.us.elsevierhealth.com/d...htiOwwx8R65Xvv5L1NkX65jQlztph5cFCIaAlzb8P8HAQ

this is a radiology book that i purchased. it is expensive and i don't use it very often, but it has a ton of diseases and they explain the imaging, why this or that, what you should expect to see, and then pictures of the pathology. it also has an online component which is worth it in my opinion, but again, it was written by radiologists, for radiologists, so it can be difficult to understand at some points, but it does what you are looking for.

Reactions: 1 user