Choosing a companion MSW Grad Certificate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mandark321

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted to grad school for my MSW. At my school, we can earn, as part of our program, either a "Graduate Certificate in Military Social Work" or a "Graduate Certificate in Marriage and Family Therapy". It's not possible to get both during the program (sadly).

The problem is I want to practice with both families and children (with a focus on abuse), military populations (since I'm a veteran myself), and the LGBT community. I plan to relocate to a different state after getting my LCSW, which has both LCSW and MFT certifications.

I was wondering what would be the better certificate to get. I want to get the other one if time and money permits (cause it's only 3 classes to get the opposite). But I was wondering which one would be better to set me up for success career-wise, in the off-chance I cannot get the 2nd cert.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I have been accepted to grad school for my MSW. At my school, we can earn, as part of our program, either a "Graduate Certificate in Military Social Work" or a "Graduate Certificate in Marriage and Family Therapy". It's not possible to get both during the program (sadly).

The problem is I want to practice with both families and children (with a focus on abuse), military populations (since I'm a veteran myself), and the LGBT community. I plan to relocate to a different state after getting my LCSW, which has both LCSW and MFT certifications.

I was wondering what would be the better certificate to get. I want to get the other one if time and money permits (cause it's only 3 classes to get the opposite). But I was wondering which one would be better to set me up for success career-wise, in the off-chance I cannot get the 2nd cert.

Thanks in advance!

Certificates can be a good way to further your knowledge in a certain subject matter, however, your experience during practicum and internship will provide you with a much greater breadth and depth of knowledge. If I were you, I would chose the focus that you find most interesting and make sure that your practicum and internship expose you to the populations you want to work with. As long as your program is clinically focused, you should be fine with either option. There are a lot of great trainings through various organizations that can provide you with the requisite knowledge you are seeking which can be completed before or after you graduate. Best of luck with your decision.

Reactions: 1 user
Are you talking about USC's MSW program?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, Counselor2b. The program has 400 hrs of generalist internship and 600 hrs of clinical. Most of the 2nd year coursework is focused on the clinical aspects of treatment.

Salvador: No, It's UCF in Orlando. But I was going to apply to USC in case I didn't get accepted to UCF. Their program looked amazing for a distance/online MSW degree.

Thanks in advance!
I don't think you can go particularly wrong with either one. A lot of mental health practitioners don't have specific training with couples, but I think having that expertise is really valuable. On the other hand, jobs at places like the VA can be really competitive, so if you're wanting to go that direction then anything you can do to distinguish yourself will help. I agree with the other poster that your clinical experience will ultimately matter much more.

I would personally do the MFT Certificate. I am two years post grad and many of the military SW certificates that I looked at focused largely on military culture, military 101, etc etc and I think my tuition could be better spent elsewhere. It would be awesome if you could get an internship at the VA or a DoD affiliate. Will your internship(s) have to relate to whatever certificate program you might choose?