Child Psychiatry 2017-2018 Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hoodwinkd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Didn't see one started yet so here goes...any fellow CAP applicants this cycle??

Members don't see this ad.

Count me in! Applying to 17 programs. What about you? I don't see programs started retrieving applications yet!
im looking at about 10 myself..there's so many good child programs its hard to pick! do you get notification when programs download your application? how could you tell if they retrieved the apps?

Members don't see this ad :)
You go to "programs applied to" and "track assigned documents" you'll be able to see if programs downloaded them

Reactions: 1 user
I just started Child Psych last week as a 3rd year resident doing rotations. I am starting to like it. I am still 50/50 on whether or not I want to apply and go through with it. I still need to gather 3 letters of Recommendation (one from program director). I was wondering when is the latest I have to apply?

Thanks

i've seen different dates for different programs actually...try checking the websites of potential programs you are interested in

Received first interview from medical college of Wisconsin! Don't know anything avout the program but I'd like to live in WI. I find it weird though that application doesn't show as downloaded/retrieved by any program on eras yet!

Received first interview from medical college of Wisconsin! Don't know anything avout the program but I'd like to live in WI. I find it weird though that application doesn't show as downloaded/retrieved by any program on eras yet!
Congrats!! And so it starts!
Mine are in, we will see what happens. Also asked one of my internal child fellows about the application on ERAS, they said it doesn't change to download/retrieve so I guess it will just be a surprise.

Congrats!! And so it starts!
Mine are in, we will see what happens. Also asked one of my internal child fellows about the application on ERAS, they said it doesn't change to download/retrieve so I guess it will just be a surprise.
Thanks. So, have you applied to MCW too? Do you anything about the program?

Thanks. So, have you applied to MCW too? Do you anything about the program?
Nope, did not apply there, my list ended up being primarily states that touches some sort of ocean. I know people who went to their general psych residency who love their experiences and had great training, but haven't heard much about their child.

I applied to twelve places--midwest where my program is and coasts mostly. I don't really know about places outside of the area I'm in. I've been scouring studentdoc for information on places--and there's a lot on the top places, but not much on everything else..

I haven't gotten any invitations yet..but it's been two days

Just got my first interview at the University of Florida. Outside of its location, I know very little about the program. Does anyone else have any insight? It feels like it is much harder to get information on fellowships than it was for residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is UF child psych program that bad?! A friend of mine has also received iv there...

Anyone knows anything about Medical College of Wisconsin program?

Just got my first interview at the University of Florida. Outside of its location, I know very little about the program. Does anyone else have any insight? It feels like it is much harder to get information on fellowships than it was for residency.
From what I hear it's better than their general psychiatry program with heavy emphasis on outpatient with only 4 months inpatient, good work life balance, specialty clinic in ASD, and they are expanding with the building of a brand new chidl/OCD center set to open next year

So, I got an e-mail from one of the programs I applied to informing me my application wasn't complete, because my program director forgot to check some of the boxes on the training verification form. I informed him of this and he's going to try to correct it in ERAS, but I'm wondering if there is anything else I should do. I'm concerned that other programs will see this and dismiss my application because of it, so I don't know if I should go ahead and contact places to make them aware that it's going to be fixed or what. I've already gotten interviews, so seemingly this isn't a big deal to everyone, but based on the e-mail, it's a big deal to at least one program. :/

So, I got an e-mail from one of the programs I applied to informing me my application wasn't complete, because my program director forgot to check some of the boxes on the training verification form. I informed him of this and he's going to try to correct it in ERAS, but I'm wondering if there is anything else I should do. I'm concerned that other programs will see this and dismiss my application because of it, so I don't know if I should go ahead and contact places to make them aware that it's going to be fixed or what. I've already gotten interviews, so seemingly this isn't a big deal to everyone, but based on the e-mail, it's a big deal to at least one program. :/

Yeah...that's tough, but if you're getting interviews, I wouldn't worry too much. If you have a LoR spot left (we're only allowed four), you can consider asking your PD to upload a new and correct one. Otherwise, maybe your PD can individually mail/email people?

Yeah...that's tough, but if you're getting interviews, I wouldn't worry too much. If you have a LoR spot left (we're only allowed four), you can consider asking your PD to upload a new and correct one. Otherwise, maybe your PD can individually mail/email people?
For this particular place, I have no spots left. Fortunately, he can still upload a new letter in place of his old letter on ERAS, but the programs won't get a notification that it's been changed. He's going to do that, but I'm probably going to see if he can send an e-mail to this specific program in addition to that. I doubt it will be a big issue, but this is already an anxiety-provoking process, so this obviously had made me a little more anxious.

Good luck to everyone applying!
Anyone heard from Yale yet!
I got one from university of Washington too!

No my mistake ! At St. Louis Missouri
Cool. Have you scheduled your interview yet? I might go sometime in September. Actually Washington uni is my favorite as a program. Heard all good stuff about it. Not sure about St Louis as a place to live tho..

Cool. Have you scheduled your interview yet? I might go sometime in September. Actually Washington uni is my favorite as a program. Heard all good stuff about it. Not sure about St Louis as a place to live tho..
I haven't picked a date yet, planning to go in September too!!
I got another one from university of Maryland !

my lack of interviews is making me pretty neurotic...refraining hard from throwing down another dozen programs out of sheer panic

my lack of interviews is making me pretty neurotic...refraining hard from throwing down another dozen programs out of sheer panic
I think it's still super early, heard from a senior resident that most programs send out invites August second week

I think it's still super early, heard from a senior resident that most programs send out invites August second week
Same ... but the anxiety lol.... deep breathing time
Congrats to all who have interviews thus far! I hear good things about WashU in St Louis but don't have deets to share unfortunately

Same ... but the anxiety lol.... deep breathing time
Congrats to all who have interviews thus far! I hear good things about WashU in St Louis but don't have deets to share unfortunately

WUSTL has a stellar child psych department which suffers from being in Missouri (and sadly that seems to becoming more of a deterrent, with the state waging war on efforts by the city to improve things).

I have three interviews so far. Kind of hoping for some more this week. Fingers crossed!

Congrats everyone! I think there's going to be a lot of good news to go around by the end of August :)

On a side note, how exactly are we supposed to evaluate how "good" a program is? I've searched the forums extensively and found some helpful tidbits like a list of the "top" programs and "a good adult program does not a good child program make", but it feels like there's a real dearth of information sometimes--especially outside of the most highly regarded programs.

but it feels like there's a real dearth of information sometimes--especially outside of the most highly regarded programs.
Even for the most highly regarded programs, very rare to find an insider's input.smh

First post in years...have applied for child psych and am scheduling interviews. So far have scheduled with NYP/Columbia, CHA, Yale, Brown, and Montefiore. Have not heard from MGH or NYU.

Reactions: 1 users
First post in years...have applied for child psych and am scheduling interviews. So far have scheduled with NYP/Columbia, CHA, Yale, Brown, and Montefiore. Have not heard from MGH or NYU.
Congratulations! I've scheduled with MCW and UChicago

Congrats!
Congratulations! I've scheduled with MCW and UChicago
Congrats guys! August is the month!:))
Do you know anything about MCW? I've also scheduled with them in September. Can't wait to learn about the program.

Even for the most highly regarded programs, very rare to find an insider's input.smh
Congrats everyone! I think there's going to be a lot of good news to go around by the end of August :)
On a side note, how exactly are we supposed to evaluate how "good" a program is? I've searched the forums extensively and found some helpful tidbits like a list of the "top" programs and "a good adult program does not a good child program make", but it feels like there's a real dearth of information sometimes--especially outside of the most highly regarded programs.
I guess we may have to be the pioneers :)

Does anyone know where I could find a list of which programs participate in the match?

I also got Uni of Chicago, tho the invitation email looks odd with 2016 dates!. So that makes it 3 so far besides WashU& MCW.

I guess we may have to be the pioneers :)

What information are you looking for? I'd be happy to answer any questions as a recent grad with friends in most of the northeast programs.

What information are you looking for? I'd be happy to answer any questions as a recent grad with friends in most of the northeast programs.
Great. Can you shed some light on any of the programs that people have received interviews from so far? How would you rate WashU, UChicago& MCW in terms of their quality of training, environment eyc? TIA

Great. Can you shed some light on any of the programs that people have received interviews from so far? How would you rate WashU, UChicago& MCW in terms of their quality of training, environment eyc? TIA

Not to be difficult, but I really don't know how to answer the question 'How would you rate?'. By the time you get to fellowship training, there is really no reasonable way to rank programs, and yet they are very different and there are important things that may be relevant to you. Programs differ in terms of their location, academic opportunities, fame of the faculty, quality of clinical services, perceived prestige, degree of connection to AACAP and other communities in child psychiatry, diversity of clinical exposure, etc. And it is really quite difficult to come up with a composite sense.

Regarding those three programs, WashU is clearly the one that has the better known child psychiatry faculty, is much more prominent in AACAP, has greater academic opportunities. They also have large, varied and well run clinical services. U Chicago and MCW are to my knowledge not in the same league with regards these metrics, although I have no idea what they offer in terms of work life balance, quality of clinical teaching, etc.

So far I have interviews scheduled at Univ of Maryland, Duke, Brown, Vanderbilt, Cleveland Clinic, Univ of Michigan and Univ of Chicago. Offered 6 of those since Thursday 8/3.

Have heard back from CHA, UW (Seattle), OHSU (Portland OR), and UCLA-Harbor so far! No word yet from NYU, Columbia, or UCLA.

NYU invite just came in. So now remaining program to hear from one way or another is MGH

I've gotten invitations from Vermont and Lurie's in the last couple of days.