Chemistry weakness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medic2MD4me

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My biggest mcat weakness is chemistry. I'm doing well on sample testing in the other areas including physics questions. I have 4 weeks until test day. Is it best to buy up some more FLs or get the Qpack for just chemistry? Is there another chem resource I may not be familiar with?

Members don't see this ad.

My biggest mcat weakness is chemistry. I'm doing well on sample testing in the other areas including physics questions. I have 4 weeks until test day. Is it best to buy up some more FLs or get the Qpack for just chemistry? Is there another chem resource I may not be familiar with?

Review the questions you are having trouble in. Do you see a concept that is in all questions? Like, acid/base, electrochemistry and etc... Then, I would use EK 1001 question series to concentrate on learning those questions. They are simple enough to gain the bigger concept.

You should do the chemistry QPack (and section bank, obviously). Since you only have 4 weeks, it makes sense to focus intently on what you have trouble with.

Get a textbook and read all the sections stated in "What's on the MCAT Exam" document from AAMC. Then, do the Q-pack question by question with solutions, remediating anything you missed or are still weak on (do the odd practice problems at the end of the chapter, for example) until you can do the Q-pack a second time without notes and get most of the answers correct. Then move on to section bank to integrate your new skills into the more complex passages. It took me about 2 weeks to go through all the chemistry with a textbook, and it was definitely high-yield for me because I hadn't had any chemistry in a LONG time... If you need an actual verbal explanation, supplement with Khan videos for complicated topics. And look for friends who can tutor you or help you if you're stuck on something. I found at the local university, they let me come to their open tutoring hours for regular students for free... Good luck!