Cheating at Scholl

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

longhornpanda

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
There has been an issue of rampant cheating going on at Scholl for at least the last 2 years. More specifically, in the class of 2019 in particular. It is mostly limited to a handful of individuals. These people have been reported numerous times to the faulty by countless students. Every time, the cheaters are called in to meetings only to be let off with a warning...if that. I, myself, have not only witnessed these individuals cheat but also brag about how the faulty would never punish them because of their class standings. I, along with a number of other students here at Scholl, are both saddened and infuriated that the faulty would allow such rampant cheating to continue unchecked, especially at this level of education! However, I am at a loss of what action I can take at this point. It's quite obvious that the faulty and department heads are uninterested in rectifying these academic crimes. Any suggestions of what steps me and my fellow students can take would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
There has been an issue of rampant cheating going on at Scholl for at least the last 2 years. More specifically, in the class of 2019 in particular. It is mostly limited to a handful of individuals. These people have been reported numerous times to the faulty by countless students. Every time, the cheaters are called in to meetings only to be let off with a warning...if that. I, myself, have not only witnessed these individuals cheat but also brag about how the faulty would never punish them because of their class standings. I, along with a number of other students here at Scholl, are both saddened and infuriated that the faulty would allow such rampant cheating to continue unchecked, especially at this level of education! However, I am at a loss of what action I can take at this point. It's quite obvious that the faulty and department heads are uninterested in rectifying these academic crimes. Any suggestions of what steps me and my fellow students can take would be greatly appreciated.
:corny:

Reactions: 1 user
Wow. That is uh, well, wow. Initial reaction- the non-response of the faculty is somewhat unsurprising. From their perspective- every student is a meal ticket. Are you going to dismiss $40k based on he-said she-said? Second, and please don't confuse this with rationalizing or minimizing the cheating but- what is the schools policy? Is tangible proof needed to take action? Like- do they have to be caught red-handed? Is the professor's suspicion enough? "I was deep in thought, I wasn't looking at his screen I swear!". The school could be in hot water if they don't have sufficient grounds for any sort of action (which I believe should be immediate dismissal). So on the surface I sort of shrug and say, whaddayagonnado.

All that said... If there is clearly a culture forming, something needs to be done. There was *allegedly* a single isolated incident at my school and faculty went full Gestapo for every exam. I was afraid to turn my head to write on my scrap paper.

What means do you suspect (or know) are being used to cheat? Cheat sheets? accessing internet/files during the exam? Looking at a classmate's screen? In any case, sorry to hear this.

Members don't see this ad :)
There have been accusations of cheating in Temple's class of 2020 but I think you really need to be caught red handed somehow, not just anecdotal reports by students. I believe students have attempted to sue schools before that kicked them out for cheating without sufficient evidence, so I could understand the schools being hesitant to take action unless absolutely necessary.

Sent from my Pixel using SDN mobile

That being said, if someone's stupid enough to brag about it then record them doing so. Otherwise try to find some other concrete evidence. Simply reporting that you heard or saw something will probably not be sufficient to make the school take action.

Sent from my Pixel using SDN mobile

How is it affecting you?
I understand it kind of sucks when you think that someone might be doing better than you due to dishonest practices... but really, oh well. We have cheaters at my school too. People go and tell on them and all it does it make it a hassle for the rest of us. We start getting assigned randomized seating and have to leave everything outside and get watched like hawks and it's stressful and a pain in my ass. I couldn't care less if someone is cheating unless it's cheating off of my test or it in someway directly affects me. Even if they have the grades, if they don't have the knowledge and are the kind of person who just cheats their way through life their weaknesses will be quickly exposed in clinic, externships and residency interviews and you'll shine because you've put in the time. So I say just let them do whatever they want and don't waste your time or energy even thinking about it.

Reactions: 2 users
Interesting to see that Scholl hasn't changed since I was there ;) I remember at the start of every exam, 10-20 people would sign out in the first 15 minutes to go to the bathroom. I remember thinking, "How stupid are the teachers? Do they not realize what they're doing on their potty breaks? Do they think everyone has bladder infections?"

But yeah there's nothing you can do. Eventually their dishonest pattern of behavior will catch up to them. The later in their career that it happens, the more devastating it will be.

It is a sad situation but all you can do is report them. I agree with @Adam Smasher and @Ankle Breaker, it will catch up with them at some point. If they aren't learning the material they will be figured out on rotations when they don't know anything. If not on rotations, in residency or practice but it will catch up with them.

I suggest ignoring them and not letting it affect your own education. I've seen top 10 students scramble on match day and struggle in clinic. Grades don't mean anything, as long as you are not failing, what patients care about is that you are compassionate and can help them in their time of need. They wouldnt care to know that you were the student body "hero" that took down the villainous cheaters of your class. Stop wasting your time and energy even thinking about them. Remember the big picture, which for me is always self development in order to better help my patients.

Grades don't mean anything, as long as you are not failing

Actually, grades mean a whole lot. Because APMLE isn't a scored exam, they are the first and easiest thing for program directors to use to narrow the application pool.

So no one has pointed out the obvious question. Since we have established that cheating is tacitly condoned, the question is not "why do so many people cheat?" but "why don't as many people cheat?"

On a related note, I found interesting a story from the 90s where a bunch of people sat for the SAT on the east coast, memorized it, and carved the answers onto the sides of #2 pencils to be used by unscrupulous students on the west coast the same day for $10k apiece.

On a different topic related to Scholl...is there a Residency List out there for this school? I do not mean the % that matched, but the actual list of the places/states where students have matched? Thanks!