Cheapest State License?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BECafe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could anyone suggest me possible cheapest state licensure (applying and keeping), including considering CE requirements?
I will be overseas for more than a couple years (NOT active duty military myself) and looking to see which state I should transfer mine.
Friend of mine of Iowa license holder said Application: $50 -Duration: Three years - Renewal: $45 and NO state exam. I wonder any other state gets better than this.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say no. I'm in NY and my license fees were in the $300 range. Go for Iowa.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cheap is not always the answer. Check the states CE requirements and what types of CE they will accept (i.e. conferences versus online). Some states like NC are adding requirements for being actually active in practicing medicine for a number of years in order to maintain a license or to get a license in their states. They also are requiring in some cases taking the NAVLE again (and only if they approve you to do so). It is blatantly protecting the practitioners in the state from competition without really measuring competency levels for anyone, especially if you never have practiced outside of a particular facet of practice since graduation.

Reactions: 1 user
For CE, Iowa requires 60 hours every three years. But you can get all 60 hours in one year if you want and then not do any during the other two. As long as you have a total of 60 when it is time to renew your license, they don't care.

Reactions: 1 user
Michigan does not require CE for license renewal, but cost wise I believe is roughly $250 for 2 years.

um definitely not FL - $250 application fee and then $105 per year (either submitted as $205 in an even year or $105 in an odd year for only 1 years license)

Wow, you guys have it good......provincial licenses in Canada average about $1000 per year.

Hey everyone,

Does anyone know which states require a state board licensing exam? I know CA does, but do any others, or do all states require a state board exam on top of taking the NAVLE? I looked online for the answer and couldn't find it..

I have another question. When you graduate from Vet school, are you already a Veterinarian technically? I am assuming you cannot start working at a practice yet though until you pass the NAVLE.

Thank you!!!!

Hey everyone,

Does anyone know which states require a state board licensing exam? I know CA does, but do any others, or do all states require a state board exam on top of taking the NAVLE? I looked online for the answer and couldn't find it..

I have another question. When you graduate from Vet school, are you already a Veterinarian technically? I am assuming you cannot start working at a practice yet though until you pass the NAVLE.

Thank you!!!!

Yes, you are a veterinarian by virtue of your degree, but you have no license to practice veterinary medicine until you pass both the NAVLE and obtain a regional license (in whatever state/province/country in the world where you wish to practice).

Not all states have specific state board exams, but I believe most do. When applying for internships, I really only looked into states where my top few programs were located. Texas, Oklahoma, and Alabama all had state exams, but Colorado did not if I remember correctly. You'll probably have to look up the individual state's board of veterinary medical examiners to learn about the process in the states you're interested in practicing in. There's a list of links to individual state boards on the nbvme's website.

Bumping this topic for 2017. I know NC has $250 and an examination. PA is $35 and no examination. Just checked CO and they are $290. Any others?

Missouri is $50 & an exam

Texas is about $580 including the exam fee

I am attending the New York Vet show this year.

It is a new show in Manhattan in November 2017 where for $149 I have our 55+ hours of RACE and NYS accredited CE.

Sounds good to me :)