Charlottesville VA 4th Year Core Rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skinnycatfish10

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!!

I will be moving to Charlottesville VA after my audition rotations to complete my core rotations for my fourth year of medical school. I contacted the institution that is located in Charlottesville, UVA, and I was told they do not accept Osteopathic Students. Does anyone know of any locations in the area or under an hour away that I could rotate at? Not super picky with what specialties I complete the rotations in, just need to get the basics done.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello!!

I will be moving to Charlottesville VA after my audition rotations to complete my core rotations for my fourth year of medical school. I contacted the institution that is located in Charlottesville, UVA, and I was told they do not accept Osteopathic Students. Does anyone know of any locations in the area or under an hour away that I could rotate at? Not super picky with what specialties I complete the rotations in, just need to get the basics done.

Thanks in advance!

A bit confused...
1) why are you completing core rotations after audition rotations?
2) Why are you completing core rotations in 4th year?
3) why are you moving to Charlottesville if UVA won't take DO students?

Martha Jefferson is in Charlottesville. Not sure if they will take students but a good idea to ask. Roanoake is about 2 hours away and I assume they will take students. Carillon is a bit more than an hour away. I suspect VCOM has some rotations. VCU (Richmond- 1 hour away) might allow DO students to rotate.

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly, I suggest contacting VCOM and see what sort of fourth year rotations their students do around the state, and then see if any of them are close to Charlottesville. Staunton is less than an hour away and has Western State Psych Hospital, but given that UVA sends their students there, I'm not sure how open they would be to a DO student. I'm sure they have some sort of hospital system in the city, I just don't know what it is. But other than Martha Jefferson, most of the available clinic locations in and around Charlottesville will be affiliated with UVA. You could check with Bon Secours in Richmond, but they also take UVA students (in Peds and OB, last I heard, though they may have expanded that since I graduated).

Members don't see this ad :)
A bit confused...
1) why are you completing core rotations after audition rotations?
2) Why are you completing core rotations in 4th year?
3) why are you moving to Charlottesville if UVA won't take DO students?

Martha Jefferson is in Charlottesville. Not sure if they will take students but a good idea to ask. Roanoake is about 2 hours away and I assume they will take students. Carillon is a bit more than an hour away. I suspect VCOM has some rotations. VCU (Richmond- 1 hour away) might allow DO students to rotate.

1) I need SLOE letters in before I apply to programs for residency in Sept
2) My school requires me to complete core rotations for 4th year
3) My boyfriend is going to business school at UVA

Thanks!

Honestly, I suggest contacting VCOM and see what sort of fourth year rotations their students do around the state, and then see if any of them are close to Charlottesville. Staunton is less than an hour away and has Western State Psych Hospital, but given that UVA sends their students there, I'm not sure how open they would be to a DO student. I'm sure they have some sort of hospital system in the city, I just don't know what it is. But other than Martha Jefferson, most of the available clinic locations in and around Charlottesville will be affiliated with UVA. You could check with Bon Secours in Richmond, but they also take UVA students (in Peds and OB, last I heard, though they may have expanded that since I graduated).

UVA is completely closed off to having a DO student, I have contacted them about this. Yeah I have run into some trouble with UVA affiliations but that occurs in almost every city because unlike my school, medical schools usually institute agreements with physicians in the area. My school leaves it completely up to us to figure out for 4th year. Which is annoying, but does permit me the ability to go to whatever city I want if I can find something. I will check out Martha Jefferson! Thanks!

UVA is completely closed off to having a DO student, I have contacted them about this. Yeah I have run into some trouble with UVA affiliations but that occurs in almost every city because unlike my school, medical schools usually institute agreements with physicians in the area. My school leaves it completely up to us to figure out for 4th year. Which is annoying, but does permit me the ability to go to whatever city I want if I can find something. I will check out Martha Jefferson! Thanks!

I'm aware UVA doesn't accept DO students. That's why I suggested talking to the hospitals that I suggested, rather than UVA. I just said that they might not take you because they have an affiliation with UVA. But we also rotated at Roanoke Carillion while they were building up their med school, so it's not impossible for multiple schools to work in the same hospital.

I'm aware UVA doesn't accept DO students. That's why I suggested talking to the hospitals that I suggested, rather than UVA. I just said that they might not take you because they have an affiliation with UVA. But we also rotated at Roanoke Carillion while they were building up their med school, so it's not impossible for multiple schools to work in the same hospital.

I just researched VCOMS affiliations and I found one about 45 minutes from Charlottesville! Thanks for your help!