Charles Drew U MS Biomedical Science program vs William Carey MS Biomedical Science program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which MS Biomedical Sciences program should I do

• Charles Drew MS Biomedical Science

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Charles Drew MS Biomedical Science

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

BlackStar90

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I am trying to decided between these two. WC offers non-thesis MSBMS 1 year program with a 6 week MCAT prep program starting July 10th.

CDU offers a 1 year thesis MSBMS and an optional 2nd year to get an MPH (so 2 masters in 2 years) with a discount on an MCAT prep course. Also withe the opprotunity to conduct research at the UCLA-CDU medical school. My goal is GPA repair and MCAT improvement. I also am considerinjg doing an MD/PhD if I can. Im leaning torwards CDU but WC's course load is more bread and butter type classes which are ideal for GPA repair. Please yall let me know what you think just based off of this suface level info! Thanks and feel free to PM me!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey I was thinking about doing the program for the one year MSBS at CDU. Did you end up doing it? Let me know! Thanks!

Hey I was thinking about doing the program for the one year MSBS at CDU. Did you end up doing it? Let me know! Thanks!
Hey what's up. Yes I decided to enter into the CDU program. I'm so glad I chose the program too. Honestly it's a truly unique and special program.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey,I'm glad to hear that. I have actually been thinking about applying and have started my application in hopes of matriculating in Fall for the biomedical sciences route. I was hoping you could answer some questions on it even though I have done some research.

1. Can you work during the time while doing the program?
2. How much is the total overall cost?
3. How difficult was the program?

Congrats on the program. I'm glad to hear you were happy with doing it.

Hey,I'm glad to hear that. I have actually been thinking about applying and have started my application in hopes of matriculating in Fall for the biomedical sciences route. I was hoping you could answer some questions on it even though I have done some research.

Congrats on the program. I'm glad to hear you were happy with doing it.

Hey!

1. You have to do around a min of 15 hrs of research per week and min 20 for summer. So no I would advise you not to work. It's not feasible unless you do work study, and possibly get work study for research.
2. For grad school it's $924 per unit hour and is 36 credit hours so that plus other fees comes to around 33 K. Which is actually on the cheap side especially for an acclerated thesis program. And the amount of stuff you are exposed to and opportunities it's really a gem.
3. Very difficult but do able. Your professors want to see you do well but require a lot from you. I would say since some of the professors teach the PA students, MNP students etc expect the level of difficulty to be that of PA school or Masters level Nursing school. It is alot. And even more challenging with research. But again, so worth it!

I hope you get in! Let me know if you do and decide to come.

Reactions: 1 user

Hey!

1. You have to do around a min of 15 hrs of research per week and min 20 for summer. So no I would advise you not to work. It's not feasible unless you do work study, and possibly get work study for research.
2. For grad school it's $924 per unit hour and is 36 credit hours so that plus other fees comes to around 33 K. Which is actually on the cheap side especially for an acclerated thesis program. And the amount of stuff you are exposed to and opportunities it's really a gem.
3. Very difficult but do able. Your professors want to see you do well but require a lot from you. I would say since some of the professors teach the PA students, MNP students etc expect the level of difficulty to be that of PA school or Masters level Nursing school. It is alot. And even more challenging with research. But again, so worth it!

I hope you get in! Let me know if you do and decide to come.

Hello! I just got accepted into the MSBS program at CDU. I am excided to be attending this fall :) Do you have any recommendation for housing?

Hello! I just got accepted into the MSBS program at CDU. I am excided to be attending this fall :) Do you have any recommendation for housing?
Congrats!!!!! Well it depends. I would say the easiest route to go is through Collegiate housing. I ended up finding my own apartment however which was a bit nerve wracking/last minute for me. A lot of my classmates commute too as they live locally. I'm not sure of your case. Feel free to pm me or we can continue to discuss on the thread as well.

Hi! I'm currently completing the application for CDU's MSBS. I am concerned that I am applying so late, however I just recently discovered the program. When did you apply and how long did it take to hear back from them? Congrats on getting accepted!

Hello! I submitted my application May 7, 2018 and and heard from the school around may 18 about my interview which was on May 23. With the exception of Auburn University (MS NT Pre professional program) The other schools that I applied to were about the same in their responses. Southern Illinois University has a post bac progam as well. I believe they are still accepting applications if that is of any interest to you. Thank you very much and good luck on your future endeavors.