Charles Drew SOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elliejellybean

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any current/past students want to elaborate on what you did to get to CDU, what interviewing was like, the financial aid packages offered, housing, would you choose that school again, how you feel about the program (strengths weaknesses) etc. is tuition really 12K in and out of state?! 2/3 reviews I found were bad, that's worrying me because they only have 24 students a year. I've also been having a very hard time finding avg GPA and MCAT so if you can elaborate on your stats that would be really helpful. I like the PRIME program they offer and as of now this school is at the tipity top of my list :) . All info is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Good Morning, I hope all is well with you. I'm a current applicant this cycle. I applied and was even blessed with an interview for the UCLA-CDU program and am currently on the wait-list, waiting (patiently) to see if I'll be accepted here (my dream school). The program is in adjunct with the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA. Of the entire DGUCLA class, 24 students are with the CDU program. For the first two years, they are on campus at DGUCLA taking the same courses with everyone else. They then take their board exams and go off to their rotations. Don't quote me on this as I'm still not 100% sure, but for rotations, the CDU/UCLA students have the option of where to complete certain rotations. For surgery, a few of the students chose to do their rotations at the Ronald Reagan Hospital etc, whereas for Family Medicine, students usually rotate in hospitals that are more underserved.

I honestly didn't know much about the program UNTIL I interviewed and saw how amazing the program truly is. I would HIGHLY suggest applying. That's wonderful that you're interested in the PRIME program too. If you apply to both UCLA-PRIME and CDU/UCLA and are accepted into both, you CAN complete both programs. We were told at our interview that they have room for 2 additional spots for students accepted into both programs.

Average GPA and MCAT is intermixed within the entire DGUCLA class. Tuition is through UCLA all four years, so check up on their tuition rates for both in-state and out-of-state.

If you have any further questions about the program, I would highly suggest calling their admissions office at CDU. They are very nice and would be more than happy to assist you.

Reactions: 1 user
Good Morning, I hope all is well with you. I'm a current applicant this cycle. I applied and was even blessed with an interview for the UCLA-CDU program and am currently on the wait-list, waiting (patiently) to see if I'll be accepted here (my dream school). The program is in adjunct with the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA. Of the entire DGUCLA class, 24 students are with the CDU program. For the first two years, they are on campus at DGUCLA taking the same courses with everyone else. They then take their board exams and go off to their rotations. Don't quote me on this as I'm still not 100% sure, but for rotations, the CDU/UCLA students have the option of where to complete certain rotations. For surgery, a few of the students chose to do their rotations at the Ronald Reagan Hospital etc, whereas for Family Medicine, students usually rotate in hospitals that are more underserved.

I honestly didn't know much about the program UNTIL I interviewed and saw how amazing the program truly is. I would HIGHLY suggest applying. That's wonderful that you're interested in the PRIME program too. If you apply to both UCLA-PRIME and CDU/UCLA and are accepted into both, you CAN complete both programs. We were told at our interview that they have room for 2 additional spots for students accepted into both programs.

Average GPA and MCAT is intermixed within the entire DGUCLA class. Tuition is through UCLA all four years, so check up on their tuition rates for both in-state and out-of-state.

If you have any further questions about the program, I would highly suggest calling their admissions office at CDU. They are very nice and would be more than happy to assist you.

Beautifully stated! Just to add to the above: I am a current MS1, so if you have any questions we can chat here, or you can PM me @elliejellybean.

Also, if I had the choice again, I would choose Drew in a heartbeat.

Reactions: 1 user
Beautifully stated! Just to add to the above: I am a current MS1, so if you have any questions we can chat here, or you can PM me @elliejellybean.

Also, if I had the choice again, I would choose Drew in a heartbeat.
Do you happen to know anything about the post bacc here the MS in Biomedical Sciences program that came from their post baccalaureate program?

Sent from my MHA-L29 using SDN mobile