change to step 3?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snow88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! Found out a few days ago that step 3 is undergoing changes. Is this why there is a delay in score reporting for people taking it this spring 2017, starting with mid-January 2017 test-takers? I was wondering if the delay was so they can gather enough data to apply a curve to the new test or something.

I was also wondering if I'd be at a disadvantage to take the new one when the new one is so new and would maybe be better off waiting to take it in 6-8 months once any issues with the new one have been ironed out? Thoughts?

I'm scheduled for late January 2017 currently and not feeling the greatest about my composite UW score (64% overall for the question bank, just finished the last set of questions today) so the idea of delaying it has already been crossing my mind, and then when I found out about the test changing, I'm considering a delay even more strongly. Makes me worried I've been studying the wrong content and it won't align with the changed exam.

Any input is appreciated as to whether it seems like a good idea to delay based on my UW score and/or the fact the test is changing.

Members don't see this ad.

Seems like the USMLE is constantly undergoing changes and delaying score reports. This most recently happened around the same time last year as well. I don't think anyone actually knows why there is a delay and what changes they're making; we also don't know how it's scored and how the curve is determined. With that being said, I say don't look into this too much. Just study for your exam and take it when you feel ready. At least, that's what I'm doing. I have also scheduled mine for late January, but may extend it until February so that I can be better prepared.

On another note, what resources are you using to study, and what is your schedule like? I am doing Uworld for the second time and my overall score is 70% (84th percentile). Not sure what else to do to raise my average. I've skimmed MTB3 as well as USMLE step 3 secrets. I figured I should focus on questions, but feel that I'm remembering questions from the first time I did Uworld....