Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentite24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN,

I will be applying to dental schools this summer with these credentials:
Grade/Age: Junior, 21
Race/Gender: Caucasian, male
Undergrad: a state school in Ohio
Major: Biological Sciences
Minor: Chemistry
GPA: 4.00
AA: 21
TS: 20
PAT: 20
Bio: 18
RC: 18
Community service hours: 110 (mostly involved in one organization recently)
Observation hours: 100 (with 5 different dentists)
Research: One summer for diabetes institute at a medical school, co-authored a recently published paper
Involvement: Pre-dental club 2 years, running club, scholarship program
Leadership: none
Jobs during school: General Chemistry review session leader (5 hours per week), tutor (10 hours per week)
Other application strengths:
- From southeastern Appalachia Ohio
- Planning to start a practice in southeastern Appalachia Ohio with my brother (who is currently finishing up dental school at OSU)
- Took a well-rounded course load (will have 11/13 pre-reqs completed by end of junior year), have averaged 16-17 credits, took a business undertone of coursework, took a year of spanish, and took other useful classes that weren't part of my major (medical terminology, sociology, will be taking psychology, etc...)
- Did not have any credits coming into college. I have taken all of my classes at the state school where I am enrolled at, and have not taken a summer class.
- High school valedictorian
- Am possibly going to be working as a dental assistant starting at the beginning of this summer
Other application weaknesses:
- Have not taken o-chem labs yet
- No concrete evidence that I have good hand skills since I don't really do much with my hands... However, I have always displayed great hand-eye coordination in sports, am a very fast/accurate typer, and am an above average video gamer (for whatever that is worth haha)
- My letters of recommendations will probably be similar to the average applicant; I have made some OKAY acquaintances/connections, but no real GREAT relationships with faculty members or employers

I am planning on applying to Ohio State, Kentucky, West Virginia, Indiana, Louisville, and Pittsburgh.
Should I apply to all of these places, or are any of them probably not worth my time trying? What do you think my chances are at OSU (this is my goal school, due to cost and quality of education)?

Should I re-take the DAT? Some of you make think this is ridiculous but DAT scores just keep going up so much, and I believe that it is the highest valued criterion... My weak sections (bio, rc, pat) are also the most important sections I think. I thought I could get a 23 or 24 the first time around but I think I just didn't study right and took it way too soon in undergrad.. Also, if I can score high enough and get accepted to OSU there's a chance I could get a half tuition scholarship (they give some of these to in-state kids).
Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Don't retake. You're good to go IMO

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
you're good to go.

I've been seeing more and more cases on here of kids with very high GPA's and okay/good DAT scores that do not get accepted to their in-state school. I feel like I can do much better on the DAT (which would significantly help ease my concern of getting in, and may save me tens of thousands of dollars of loans if I can even get a scholarship at OSU), but I don't know if it is worth the time/money/risk.
If I don't re-take it, does anyone have any input on the schools that I'm applying to? Does anyone think that any of the schools that I'm applying to probably won't accept me based on my stats and the fact that i'm out of state?

I've been seeing more and more cases on here of kids with very high GPA's and okay/good DAT scores that do not get accepted to their in-state school. I feel like I can do much better on the DAT (which would significantly help ease my concern of getting in, and may save me tens of thousands of dollars of loans if I can even get a scholarship at OSU), but I don't know if it is worth the time/money/risk.
If I don't re-take it, does anyone have any input on the schools that I'm applying to? Does anyone think that any of the schools that I'm applying to probably won't accept me based on my stats and the fact that i'm out of state?

The reason why those kids aren't getting in isn't because of their GPA or DAT, its because of their interviewing skills or lack of character in their personal statements.

Having good stats does not give you the entitlement to get accepted to D-School, it merely opens the door for Adcoms to listen to your story and decide whether or not you're a great fit for their program. I feel like a lot of people feel entitled to be accepted based off of stats alone, which is probably why they aren't accepted.

Reactions: 3 users
If you can't get in with those stats (also assuming that you don't completely mess up the interview), then no one can get in.

4.0 covers your low DAT scores cause obviously you got an A in those courses. You got a 21/20. I feel this is a multiple December 1st offer app.

Look for a good combination of OOS friendly schools, a a few private schools, and then add your states schools and a reach or 2 if you want to go somewhere, but think you can't do it. YOU NEVER KNOW

I've been seeing more and more cases on here of kids with very high GPA's and okay/good DAT scores that do not get accepted to their in-state school. I feel like I can do much better on the DAT (which would significantly help ease my concern of getting in

A 21 is ~95th percentile.

A 21 is better than "okay/good."

It would be very, very foolish to retake. There is absolutely zero guarantee you will perform better if you were to retake.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users