Chances of me getting into PT school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abc245

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi my gpa is a 3.04 cum and a 2.8 sci gpa. I did a post bac taking all science courses receiving a 3.2 in cum/sci gpa. I have 100 plus hours working in a PT clinic and a 305 GRE score with a 4 on writing, was in various clubs and did community service. One thing that bothers me about being a PT is the pay, but if it is 85k -100k I would be okay with. Plus being a PT I would actually enjoy going to work and not hate my life. What are my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi my gpa is a 3.04 cum and a 2.8 sci gpa. I did a post bac taking all science courses receiving a 3.2 in cum/sci gpa. I have 100 plus hours working in a PT clinic and a 305 GRE score with a 4 on writing, was in various clubs and did community service. One thing that bothers me about being a PT is the pay, but if it is 85k -100k I would be okay with. Plus being a PT I would actually enjoy going to work and not hate my life. What are my chances?
I would retake all of the science classes! My gpa is low as well 3.19, but im takind sci classes and trying for all As. I will be applying this summer!

I would retake all of the science classes! My gpa is low as well 3.19, but im takind sci classes and trying for all As. I will be applying this summer!

Have you applied to PT school already and didn't get in?

Members don't see this ad :)
What area of the country are you in? I'm in the midwest, and I'm telling interested students who ask me that 60K-80K is the actual range (yes, even for experienced PT). If you are willing to move to certain high need areas of the country and do home health or SNF, sure, maybe you can make a little more. But we just aren't seeing that kind of $$.

I think your prerequisite GPA is more important than your science GPA for applying to PT schools.

What's your pGPA? Last 60 hours? Where are you applying to? You have to consider those before you apply. Look at the stickied GPA/GRE acceptances thread and look for search it for schools you're going to apply to. You should get a good idea of the stats of the average accepted applicant. You should be able to decide if you want to spend the money to apply by comparing your stats with those in that thread.

As for the pay, the 85-100k range can happen in the big city for experienced PTs. I know the DOR at the SNF I work at makes 6 figs, but she doesn't even see patients anymore...

What's your pGPA? Last 60 hours? Where are you applying to? You have to consider those before you apply. Look at the stickied GPA/GRE acceptances thread and look for search it for schools you're going to apply to. You should get a good idea of the stats of the average accepted applicant. You should be able to decide if you want to spend the money to apply by comparing your stats with those in that thread.

As for the pay, the 85-100k range can happen in the big city for experienced PTs. I know the DOR at the SNF I work at makes 6 figs, but she doesn't even see patients anymore...
my pre req gpa should be well over 3.0 since most of my lower grades are in gen chem and ochem. last 60 hours is over 3.0. Apply anywhere is and wnat to mvoe on with my life.

my pre req gpa should be well over 3.0 since most of my lower grades are in gen chem and ochem. last 60 hours is over 3.0. Apply anywhere is and wnat to mvoe on with my life.

I'm not sure if you're aware, or I don't know what your definition of the phrase is, but "well over 3.0" doesn't really make the cut when applying to PT school. Most people applying have a cumulative, pre-req and/or last 60 gpa of 3.8-4.0. The ones who don't are generally around 3.5 in one of those categories, not all of them, and have to work very hard on all other parts of their application! I hate to be the one to break it to you but it's gonna take a lot of hard work retaking classes and trying to bump your GRE more if your GPA doesn't improve drastically.

I'm not saying no one's ever gotten in with a GPA around 3.0, but they were definitely the exception and had absolutely stellar applications otherwise

Most people applying have a cumulative, pre-req and/or last 60 gpa of 3.8-4.0. The ones who don't are generally around 3.5 in one of those categories, not all of them, and have to work very hard on all other parts of their application!

Actually according to the PTCAS Applicant Data Report for 2015-2016, the mean undergraduate cGPA of all applicants was 3.40 and self-reported pre-req GPA was 3.30. Whereas those of accepted applicants were more around 3.59 and 3.52, respectively. Tables 10, 13, 15, and 16, p26-28.

Please do not spread disinformation about what GPA "most people applying" have.

@OP, I think with a 3.20 cGPA/sGPA and 305+4 GRE you're going to need to have very good essays and recommendations, and a well-targeted school list. It will be tougher for you but not impossible. Also no one knows what salaries in the future will be, but you probably won't be making 85k-100k right after graduation, sorry. You've got bigger problems at this point than worrying about how much PTs get paid.

Last edited:
Actually according to the PTCAS Applicant Data Report for 2015-2016, the mean undergraduate cGPA of applicants was 3.40 and self-reported pre-req GPA was 3.30. Whereas those of accepted applicants were more around 3.59 and 3.52, respectively. Tables 10, 13, 15, and 16, p26-28.

Please do not spread disinformation about what GPA "most people applying" have.

@OP, I think with a 3.20 cGPA/sGPA and 305+4 GRE you're going to need to have very good essays and recommendations, and a well-targeted school list. It will be tougher for you but not impossible. Also no one knows what salaries in the future will be, but you probably won't be making 85k-100k right after graduation, sorry. You've got bigger problems at this point than worrying about how much PTs get paid.

That's my bad then. I was going based off of what everyone was saying around here during the start of application season; when those with GPAs in those ranges said it, everyone acted like it was going to be very hard for them

That's my bad then. I was going based off of what everyone was saying around here during the start of application season; when those with GPAs in those ranges said it, everyone acted like it was going to be very hard for them

No problem. Just be careful of everything you read here on SDN. Fact-checking is important and easy to do with the data readily available from PTCAS, etc.

People with 3.9's probably know they're well above average and are just humble-bragging. Do not let them discourage you. For better or for worse, there's more to them than their numbers just as there is more to you than yours. Luckily DPT adcoms consider whole applications that meet their minimum requirements.

Reactions: 2 users