chances of getting into TC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rugirl94

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. thinking about applying to masters in mental health counseling programs. I'm a biology major/ psychology minor. Overall GPA is a 3.1, psychology GPA is a 3.6. The only work experience I have is my hospital job as a pharmacy technician for the last 3 years and counting. I'm aiming for TC at Columbia and NYU. Can someone please tell me my chances of getting in? I hear mixed things about TC, one of them being that they accept most applicants as a way to fund their PhD program. Is this true? I can't really find anything that says what admissions usually looks for with these types of programs. Please, tell me all you know!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know how TC allocates their tuition money, but I do know that their masters programs are very, very expensive. I have heard that the connections to be made there can be valuable and there's certainly the name recognition of Columbia University, but I would give the high cost quite a bit of consideration. You won't be entering a very high-paying field. If you need to take out debt to cover it (and you're a NY resident), I'd consider the Masters in Mental Health Counseling at CUNY. Probably similar career outcomes but a fraction of the debt. Not sure about this particular program, but some of their masters programs also provide funding.