General Admissions & OTCAS Chances of getting into OT school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SamPaigeM

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I have been researching this for months now and I know that applying to an entry level OT program is very competitive. My GPA is not the best considering freshman year I had a 2.7 and a 2.8 and got a C+ both semesters in physics. Now my GPA is a 3.16-3.2, which is not the best. I am an exercise science major with a minor in psychology. I have taken most of my prerequisites; I got an A in abnormal psych, a B+ in both semesters of Human Anatomy and Physiology with lab, retaking general psych for a higher grade, and I am taking developmental psych online, also got a B in statistics. I know that my stats are mediocre,, but so far I have shadowed at an outpatient rehab for 54 hours and at a school for 52 hours. I am also shadowing an OT this summer at a nursing home and should have 50+ hours before I apply, and I am trying to shadow at an outpatient hospital rehabilitation too. I wanted to know what my chances are of getting into OT school, I am applying this August. I will be getting a letter from 2 Ot's and the head of the exercise science dept at my school. I am also planing on applying to 11 schools to greater my chances

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone!
I have been researching this for months now and I know that applying to an entry level OT program is very competitive. My GPA is not the best considering freshman year I had a 2.7 and a 2.8 and got a C+ both semesters in physics. Now my GPA is a 3.16-3.2, which is not the best. I am an exercise science major with a minor in psychology. I have taken most of my prerequisites; I got an A in abnormal psych, a B+ in both semesters of Human Anatomy and Physiology with lab, retaking general psych for a higher grade, and I am taking developmental psych online, also got a B in statistics. I know that my stats are mediocre,, but so far I have shadowed at an outpatient rehab for 54 hours and at a school for 52 hours. I am also shadowing an OT this summer at a nursing home and should have 50+ hours before I apply, and I am trying to shadow at an outpatient hospital rehabilitation too. I wanted to know what my chances are of getting into OT school, I am applying this August. I will be getting a letter from 2 Ot's and the head of the exercise science dept at my school. I am also planing on applying to 11 schools to greater my chances
I am also actively involved on my campus. I have two eboard positions, I'm apart of habitat for humanity, and I do club lacrosse.

Make sure you do well on your GRE scores and write an excellent personal statement! I thinking applying to more schools will be at your advantage.

Members don't see this ad :)
My OTCAS application was verified Jan. 8, 2018 and two of the three schools I applied to has sent emails stating they received my application. Still waiting for them to reach out if accepted for interview process.
My info is:
AAS degree in Occupational Therapy Assistant
Bachelor degeee in Psychology from University of Phoenix
Freshmean: 1.92
Sophomore: 3.12
Junior: 3.85
Senior: 4.00
Overall GPA: 3.11
Pre-req GPA: 3.9 (repeated a few)
Hours: Been working as a COTA since June, 2012 and worked as a director of therapy for the past two years. Have thousands of hours in OT as I currently work full time. Work in a SNF and have observed in other areas (acute rehab, out patient, home health, hand therapy, mental rehab, etc.
GRE: Did not take the GRE
LOR: 2 OTs (each school I applied to this year only requires a minimal of two)

Applied to: Midwestern (Glendale), Belmont, and Gwynedd
Rejections:
Waitlist:
*Haven’t heard from any schools yet.

What do you guys think are my chances of getting accepted? I have a total of 172.83 graded hours so it will be difficult to raise my GPA.

My OTCAS application was verified Jan. 8, 2018 and two of the three schools I applied to has sent emails stating they received my application. Still waiting for them to reach out if accepted for interview process.
My info is:
AAS degree in Occupational Therapy Assistant
Bachelor degeee in Psychology from University of Phoenix
Freshmean: 1.92
Sophomore: 3.12
Junior: 3.85
Senior: 4.00
Overall GPA: 3.11
Pre-req GPA: 3.9 (repeated a few)
Hours: Been working as a COTA since June, 2012 and worked as a director of therapy for the past two years. Have thousands of hours in OT as I currently work full time. Work in a SNF and have observed in other areas (acute rehab, out patient, home health, hand therapy, mental rehab, etc.
GRE: Did not take the GRE
LOR: 2 OTs (each school I applied to this year only requires a minimal of two)

Applied to: Midwestern (Glendale), Belmont, and Gwynedd
Rejections:
Waitlist:
*Haven’t heard from any schools yet.

What do you guys think are my chances of getting accepted? I have a total of 172.83 graded hours so it will be difficult to raise my GPA.

Which 2 schools have you heard back that they received your application?

Midwestern on Jan. 8 and Belmont on Jan. 10