Chances Non-US IMG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MEDP

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Apologies for being repetitive, overall I have gotten good comments from attendings and residents, but other posts on very good applicants don'ts seem as positive, so I thought I'd just give it a try.

The question is if I have any chance of a categorical GS position, and if you have any advice for the interviews.

Non-US IMG (need visa). YOG 2015.
Step 1: 250. Step 2 CK: 254. CS passed first attempt
1 month US clinical experience, 5 months observerships.
Worked in home country in a clinic for a year, and now midway through a 2-year research fellowship in a big academic center.
Overall, 6 US LORs (4 CT, 2 vascular surgeons). 3 of them are chiefs in academic centers.
I'm doing research in the same place I did my clerkship, so they know me.
5 papers published, 3 submitted, 3 posters and 3 oral presentations.

Applied to 155 programs overall: 95 categorical and 60 preliminary+categorical.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
Apologies for being repetitive, overall I have gotten good comments from attendings and residents, but other posts on very good applicants don'ts seem as positive, so I thought I'd just give it a try.

The question is if I have any chance of a categorical GS position, and if you have any advice for the interviews.

Worked in home country in a clinic for a year, and now midway through a 2-year research fellowship in a big academic center.
Overall, 6 US LORs (4 CT, 2 vascular surgeons). 3 of them are chiefs in academic centers.

Thank you
I'm on the same boat and I think you are a solid candidate. Definitely you will have a high chance to get prelim, especially at your institute. You will also have chance for categorical positions at community programs, but the rest is just luck and your interview. Try to convince your letter writers to support you as much as possible. Phone calls can make your life much easier. But the main question for you would be to decide between prelim at great centre or categorical at lower program which depends on your goals and future plans. Good luck.

Hi,

Thank you
Any update? Are you getting cat interviews?

It's still early I guess. We are the second line. Just wait till national students start to cancel their so many interviews, and then it's our turn. Don't loose hope! Good luck.