Chances Low MCAT (24) Upward Trending GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted530013

I have 3.72 GPA, but the last 2 semesters I have gotten over a 4.0 and have gotten A's on all my upper division biology and science classes (genetics, developmental bio, physics, physio, biochem, advanced genetics amongst others) (I am assuming this upward trend should help me) I also have a history minor

My MCAT didn't go as well as I would have liked... 8's across the board totaling a 24. I am retaking the test May 30th, thus I will start my applications blind to what my new score will be, I am pretty confident in increasing my score.

I have interned in an level 1 trauma center emergency room (200+ hours)
I also have worked at a private practice for the past 2 years (at least 200+ hours)
I will be starting a job as a scribe at mayo clinic phoenix later this month and I will be working at that until I go to school.
I have my name on a couple papers and have conducted research at a biotechnology lab and at the private practice I mentioned previously.

I plan to apply broadly to a mix of MD and DO schools. I am a CA resident (I know I don't have the mcat score to feel good about any of those.. yet)

Wondering if anyone had input on my chances at DO/MD schools, or if there are schools I should consider.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I have 3.72 GPA, but the last 2 semesters I have gotten over a 4.0 and have gotten A's on all my upper division biology and science classes (genetics, developmental bio, physics, physio, biochem, advanced genetics amongst others) (I am assuming this upward trend should help me) I also have a history minor

My MCAT didn't go as well as I would have liked... 8's across the board totaling a 24. I am retaking the test May 30th, thus I will start my applications blind to what my new score will be, I am pretty confident in increasing my score.

I also have worked at a private practice for the past 2 years (at least 200+ hours)
I will be starting a job as a scribe at mayo clinic phoenix later this month and I will be working at that until I go to school.
I have my name on a couple papers and have conducted research at a biotechnology lab and at the private practice I mentioned previously.

I plan to apply broadly to a mix of MD and DO schools. I am a CA resident (I know I don't have the mcat score to feel good about any of those.. yet)

Wondering if anyone had input on my chances at DO/MD schools, or if there are schools I should consider.

Thanks!

You should only apply to DO unless you're an URM. Your chances at MD are slim-to-none. You have a shot at some DO.

The newer DO schools would be the ones to target unless you are a candidate for one of the MD med schools that predominantly serves special populations.

Consider the MCAT study plan posted in the MCAT Discussion Forums if you are not planning on a classroom MCAT prep course.

If you are applying "blind" to MD schools, consider listing a single school, just to get your transcripts verified until the score is known. You can add more schools later depending on how competitive you are, and the newly added schools will get the entire application within a business day. AMCAS typically doesn't send out your application until the toward end of June anyway, though I haven't seen this year's release date yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Like people have said - DO sounds good. If you speak Spanish, Puerto Rican MD schools are also an option. All four are LCME accredited.

You're going to need to score 30+ to get the attention of MD schools, but high 20s should be OK for DO programs.

Thanks!

Zero chance at MD. Slim chance at DO.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

3.7/24 is barely average for DO..

Same LizzyM score as a 3.4/27. Probably okay for a good number of DO schools.

Same LizzyM score as a 3.4/27. Probably okay for a good number of DO schools.

3.4 is alot better than 24 imo.

If its average, then shouldn't he have a decent chance?

A low mcat that might get screened out, no shadowing, no medical volunteering, no non-medical volunteering.

If he gets screened, it will be at the top schools only. He does have good clinical experience otherwise.

Yes, good paid experience. Volunteering is a rather important part of the application, especially when your stats aren't stellar.

Sorry, should have mentioned the ER internship I did was unpaid (and it was really shadowing).
The work I did in the private practice was unpaid, but when I graduate it will be a paid job (mostly patient testing and interaction).

3.4/27 is much better than 3.7/24 for DO schools. Chances at DO aren't slim but they aren't great either. Kill that MCAT OP.