Chances? Late in the cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Better School?

• NYCPM

Votes: 13 65.0%
  • Barry

Votes: 7 35.0%

• Total voters

ConsciousCalc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What's your science GPA? The 2.7 gpa is low regardless, which mean you had to kill the MCAT. You didn't. If you have the funds you can consider applying. Who knows, you may get accepted. What I would do is apply, but expect to retake the MCAT because you may get rejected.

Reactions: 1 user
What's your science GPA? The 2.7 gpa is low regardless, which mean you had to kill the MCAT. You didn't. If you have the funds you can consider applying. Who knows, you may get accepted. What I would do is apply, but expect to retake the MCAT because you may get rejected.
Thanks for the reply! Well yeah i ended up applying. The schools recieved my app yesterday and I got emails from both saying they recieved it so hopefully I hear back soon. I feel very confident about interviewing so Im hoping I get that chance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply! Well yeah i ended up applying. The schools recieved my app yesterday and I got emails from both saying they recieved it so hopefully I hear back soon. I feel very confident about interviewing so Im hoping I get that chance.

Awesome, keep us updated

Do schools interview students knowing that the candidate has a small chance of getting accepted? Or do they only interview if chances are high?

Do schools interview students knowing that the candidate has a small chance of getting accepted? Or do they only interview if chances are high?
im not sure. But I just got a flat out rejection from Barry. Waiting to see what nycpm does.

depends on the date in which you are interviewing. For the most part, if you get an interview then you have a good chance of getting accepted. However, later in normal cycles many of the schools fill up but will still continue interviewing for waitlist spots. This is because not everyone who does put a deposit in will end up going to the school come august, so the schools will continue to interview. Before you interview you can always call the admissions and ask them if they have seats available or if they are interviewing for waitlist spots. The smaller schools typically are filled by February/march while the larger schools tend to keep going through the summer. This past cycle is not (or at least hopefully not) indicative of future cycles nor does it represent previous cycles very well either.

depends on the date in which you are interviewing. For the most part, if you get an interview then you have a good chance of getting accepted. However, later in normal cycles many of the schools fill up but will still continue interviewing for waitlist spots. This is because not everyone who does put a deposit in will end up going to the school come august, so the schools will continue to interview. Before you interview you can always call the admissions and ask them if they have seats available or if they are interviewing for waitlist spots. The smaller schools typically are filled by February/march while the larger schools tend to keep going through the summer. This past cycle is not (or at least hopefully not) indicative of future cycles nor does it represent previous cycles very well either.

Hm I'm going to interview at CSPM and maybe I should ask if I'm interviewing for a waitlist spot instead of an open seat first. Can anyone who interviewed at Samuel Merritt weigh in on how many seats were open when you interviewed?

Hm I'm going to interview at CSPM and maybe I should ask if I'm interviewing for a waitlist spot instead of an open seat first. Can anyone who interviewed at Samuel Merritt weigh in on how many seats were open when you interviewed?

Remember someone in another thread saying there were still seats?

Will find and add.

EDIT: Found it. Open spots as of June 2nd. Shout out to @Podstar Too late to apply?

Last edited:
A 495 MCAT is great! That's higher than mine was and I got accepted. To me, that is "killing the MCAT." I would love to have a 495. Great job!!

A 495 for podiatry school is not "killing the MCAT". A 495 is "fine for most schools, Low for AZPOD and DMU". His lower than 3.0 GPA is going to hold him back.

A 495 MCAT is great! That's higher than mine was and I got accepted. To me, that is "killing the MCAT." I would love to have a 495. Great job!!

Members don't see this ad :)
A 495 for podiatry school is not "killing the MCAT". A 495 is "fine for most schools, Low for AZPOD and DMU". His lower than 3.0 GPA is going to hold him back.
A 495 is very average for schools. I've seen a VERY small handful of kids who get 500+. With that MCAT and GPA (depending on their sgpa) they won't have any problem getting in. Like I said, my GPA wasn't anything special and my MCAT was lower than 495 and I got in.

You don't see 520 with 3.98 GPAs going pod. So yeah, a 495 isn't "killing it" compared to that, but it's more than good enough for pod. Their score isn't anything to be discouraging about!

I applied broadly last week of March with similar stats to OP.
What is the breakdown of the 495 MCAT? NYCPM do not place heavy importance on the P/S section of the MCAT, so if that was your lowest section, your score is fine/okay.
At this point in the cycle, the 2.7 GPA is definitely going to hold you back. What's the sGPA and cGPA?

If you have the money, apply anyways. If not, best to apply early next cycle.

The MCAT score is fine, it's the GPA attached to it that makes me hesitant for the OP.

There were plenty of people I interviewed with who had 500+ on the MCAT. Not 520, but many with high 490s low 500s. At least at AZPOD and DMU.

A 495 is very average for schools. I've seen a VERY small handful of kids who get 500+. With that MCAT and GPA (depending on their sgpa) they won't have any problem getting in. Like I said, my GPA wasn't anything special and my MCAT was lower than 495 and I got in.

You don't see 520 with 3.98 GPAs going pod. So yeah, a 495 isn't "killing it" compared to that, but it's more than good enough for pod. Their score isn't anything to be discouraging about!

The MCAT score is fine, it's the GPA attached to it that makes me hesitant for the OP.

There were plenty of people I interviewed with who had 500+ on the MCAT. Not 520, but many with high 490s low 500s. At least at AZPOD and DMU.
Well yeah those are the top schools. Were those other applicants really discussing their MCAT scores? Kinda sad haha. No one at my interviews even uttered the word MCAT. Oh well.

I've seen people with worse GPAs and mcat scores on this forum get accepted so I think the OP will be fine :) someone on here got accepted for this cycle with a sgpa of 2.49.

What is the breakdown of the 495 MCAT? NYCPM do not place heavy importance on the P/S section of the MCAT, so if that was your lowest section, your score is fine/okay.
At this point in the cycle, the 2.7 GPA is definitely going to hold you back. What's the sGPA and cGPA?

My sgpa is lower than yours I believe. How long did it take for nycpm to invite you for an interview if you dont mind me asking? I unfortunately have a downward trend because of family issues I really think I would do great if I got an interview. I just need that chance to explain myself. If not, I am enrolled for 13 credits the last week of summer at ucf. I could ace those retakes then reapply early in august?

Where did you get in? Or had interviews?! Lol congrats on getting in! You have a great spirit, I love the positivity. ❤️

Ok question, which one gets weighed more? the BCP or the overal science GPA that aacpmas calculates?

I know you didn't ask me, but on my Kent State interview, I was grilled on my academic performance concerning my science GPA, namely, my chemistry grades. So I want to say that science GPA matters more, especially since the stuff in pod school is almost all science.

Ok question, which one gets weighed more? the BCP or the overal science GPA that aacpmas calculates?

I know you didn't ask me, but on my Kent State interview, I was grilled on my academic performance concerning my science GPA, namely, my chemistry grades. So I want to say that science GPA matters more, especially since the stuff in pod school is almost all science.

I see! Ok ok sounds good!

Where did you get in? Or had interviews?! Lol congrats on getting in! You have a great spirit, I love the positivity. ❤️
Thank you! I'll be starting at Kent state! Hope to maybe see you there!

What Gypsy said.

sGPA for sure. This was apparent at Kent, CSPM, Western, AZPOD. If you have a high MCAT to make up for it, they won't question much.

My sgpa is lower than yours I believe. How long did it take for nycpm to invite you for an interview if you dont mind me asking? I unfortunately have a downward trend because of family issues I really think I would do great if I got an interview. I just need that chance to explain myself. If not, I am enrolled for 13 credits the last week of summer at ucf. I could ace those retakes then reapply early in august?

NYCPM replied 2 days after my application was verified around the first few days of April. Temple did as well. Barry actually replied a week after my application was verified (but I had the best interview experience at Barry).
NYCPM tends to maintain a "strict" reputation, which you will also experience during your interview. They will grill your academic performances and any other weaknesses.
I am not sure if NYCPM will extend an II at this point in the cycle, but who knows? If you do get an interview invite feel free to ask questions, I got you! If you do not get an II, do not fret, if you apply early next cycle, I strongly believe schools will extend you an II.

Rejected from both schools. Will be retaking about 13 credits these last 6 weeks of summer and reapplying early fall. What do you guys think? Will I have better chances applying early next cycle?

Rejected from both schools. Will be retaking about 13 credits these last 6 weeks of summer and reapplying early fall. What do you guys think? Will I have better chances applying early next cycle?
Yes, your MCAT is low, but your GPA is lower too. Retaking 13 credits won't raise a GPA that much since they average the two grades. Just get A's and apply early in the cycle and you should have a good shot

Will those 13 credits bring your GPAs close to a 3.0? If yes, then you should have a shot somewhere, otherwise, I would think about re-taking the MCAT also.
You need to show the Adcoms that you can handle the Podiatry curriculum and that can be done through a good GPA and or a good mcat score.
I know how hard it is to raise that undergrad gpa after receiving the degree so figure out now if taking more classes and doing well in them will raise the gpas to a 3.0 or not.

Also, consider applying to all the schools for the next cycle.

Sorry to hear that. Take this situation and look at it this way: these schools are doing you a favor by not having you join their class this fall. You wouldn't want to be accepted to a school that you're not 100% ready to excel at and go there and end up not doing your best academically. I think as you said, taking more classes to strengthen your science background is going to really make a difference next cycle. You really need to study hard this summer to show the schools that you have worked hard and are ready! Good luck!!!

Last edited:
Sorry for the bad news.

Have you calculated the new GPA after those 13 units repeated courses? and you need to find out if the adcoms will be impressed with those repeating courses.

I would recommend take different UD courses in a 4 year university to show them that you are ready and capable to handle science curriculum at Podiaty school.