Chances for SGU or Ross!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYian

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Chances are 100%

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Get a 500 MCAT and youll get into both SGU and Ross.

Ace a year of a DIY postbacc and get a 510 MCAT and youll be good for DO schools, and possibly some MDs as well.

Does the 2nd option seem like alot of work? If it does then dont pursue medicine.

Reactions: 1 users
Get a 500 MCAT and youll get into both SGU and Ross.

Ace a year of a DIY postbacc and get a 510 MCAT and youll be good for DO schools, and possibly some MDs as well.

Does the 2nd option seem like alot of work? If it does then dont pursue medicine.

Will this program help in getting into an MD school?

ANT 633 - Human Osteology 3 credit(s)

Is this an SMP or a regular masters?

In any case, Biochemistry, Developmental biology, physiology, neuroscience, molecular biology, molecular genetics, along with any lab of these, are good courses to take in a post bacc.

Last edited:
Are my chances to be accepted into of the above-mentioned schools are zero?
Will a post-bac/SMP help me get into an American-MD school?

You could try for US med school, but the Caribbean is a perfectly viable alternative. There are many successful Caribbean grads. Remember, once you're a physician nobody cares about your MCAT or USMLE scores, only about your skill in patient care.

I've found that US MD schools put too much emphasis in numbers and not enough emphasis in the humanity of the applicant. I would recommend you bypass US MD schools and apply to the Caribbean. Why waste a year or two trying to please some fickle US MD school admissions committee? If you have the desire, you'll certainly succeed no matter which school you go to. There are many people that will discourage you, but just look at the stats. SGU and Ross have both excellent records for match placement, some into very competitive specialties.

Reactions: 1 user
You could try for US med school, but the Caribbean is a perfectly viable alternative. There are many successful Caribbean grads. Remember, once you're a physician nobody cares about your MCAT or USMLE scores, only about your skill in patient care.

I've found that US MD schools put too much emphasis in numbers and not enough emphasis in the humanity of the applicant. I would recommend you bypass US MD schools and apply to the Caribbean. Why waste a year or two trying to please some fickle US MD school admissions committee? If you have the desire, you'll certainly succeed no matter which school you go to. There are many people that will discourage you, but just look at the stats. SGU and Ross have both excellent records for match placement, some into very competitive specialties.

No one here is recommending this. Shinken is having what we colloquially call a "meltdown" right now and acting like a 2-year-old.

Just FYI.

-Skip

Thank you! Many doctors I spoke to regarding this matter advised me to do apply there! A local hospital has so many resident doctors from all sorts of Carb schools. Many were from ROSS, SGU, SABA, and AUA. Their presence in the hospital is very encouraging, and they are very smart. I have seen some work in EM, NEUROLOGY, NEROPHOLGY, SURGERY and many other areas.

Thank you! Many doctors I spoke to regarding this matter advised me to do apply there! A local hospital has so many resident doctors from all sorts of Carb schools. Many were from ROSS, SGU, SABA, and AUA. Their presence in the hospital is very encouraging, and they are very smart. I have seen some work in EM, NEUROLOGY, NEROPHOLGY, SURGERY and many other areas.
Shinken was being sarcastic...

The point here isn't that there are successful Carib grads. The point is how many additional obstacles to success you face by going to a Carib school. Yes, some people won the Lotto, but that's not a good strategy to base one's retirement on. The greater likelihood is that you will not make it through. Their business model is based upon this.

The point here isn't that there are successful Carib grads. The point is how many additional obstacles to success you face by going to a Carib school.

Kids, listen up. These two sentences contradict each other.

Members don't see this ad :)
Kids, listen up. These two sentences contradict each other.

They actually don't. An MD student is like a person doing a marathon driving a car and crossing the finish line. A DO student is like doing a marathon as is and crossing the finish line. A US-IMG student is like a person that is chained to the car and has to drag it to the finish line.

So you can imagine that a lot of MD students will be successful, then to a lesser extent DOs, and then even a lesser extent US-IMGs.

Reactions: 4 users
They actually don't. An MD student is like a person doing a marathon driving a car and crossing the finish line. A DO student is like doing a marathon as is and crossing the finish line. A US-IMG student is like a person that is chained to the car and has to drag it to the finish line.

So you can imagine that a lot of MD students will be successful, then to a lesser extent DOs, and then even a lesser extent US-IMGs.

are things as bad as people claim? i mean if you are a decent student in undergrad (3.5 GPA+), I imagine they'd do as well in Caribbean schools as they would in a US MD?

are things as bad as people claim? i mean if you are a decent student in undergrad (3.5 GPA+), I imagine they'd do as well in Caribbean schools as they would in a US MD?

Unfortunately you'd think that's how it works but that's not how it works in the Caribbean. The program is designed to fail students out; most of them at least. Those that survive did not necessarily survive because they were the smartest.

Unfortunately you'd think that's how it works but that's not how it works in the Caribbean. The program is designed to fail students out; most of them at least. Those that survive did not necessarily survive because they were the smartest.
which students survive?

which students survive?

That's why the Caribbean is such a risk man. We don't know. All I can tell you is that you have to be on your A-game and be extremely to adaptable to the way the demanding curriculum changes. If you can do that then I'd say you have a chance. It's a big risk for the average person.

I'll say this right now, nothing even remotely prepares you for medical school. Schools pick people with high GPAs and high MCATs to hedge their bets in terms of how they will performs in the long run. You can't really say who is going to do good and who is going to do bad after some GPA and MCAT threshold.

This is why you need to be in a place where they try to retain people. For example, look at places like KYCOM and WVSOM where around 85-90% of their student graduate and match, even those their average MCAT is 24-25. SGU and Ross cannot even claim these numbers even those their average MCAT scores for matriculants are around this range.

Its not so much that students are lazy as it is the schools' policies in retaining their students.

Last edited:
I'll say this right now, nothing even remotely prepares you for medical school. Schools pick people with high GPAs and high MCATs to hedge their bets in terms of how they will performs in the long run. You can't really say who is going to do go and who is going to do bad after some GPA and MCAT threshold.

This is why you need to be in a place where they try to retain people. For example, look at places like KYCOM and WVSOM where around 85-90% of their student graduate and match, even those their average MCAT is 24-25. SGU and Ross cannot even claim these numbers even those their average MCAT scores for matriculants are around this range.

Its not so much that students are lazy as it is the schools' policies in retaining their students.
What kind of policies does SGU have that prevents them from retaining their students?

It's not about being a good student. Even if you're a good student in a Caribbean medical school, residency program directors at many institutions actively filter out applicants who aren't from USMD schools. You can crush the boards as a IMG and have your application never get read.

Reactions: 1 user
How do we know that is an accurate picture of SGU and not that written by a disgruntled student?

Yes, some people like anecdotes. So, in that vein, I share this one with you:

Unmatched Graduate: “Med Schools to Blame”

There are no guarantees in life. There are odds/risks and, then there is individual outcome.

Anecdotes mean nothing. In medicine we apply population studies to individual treatment... and sometimes that's not the best thing for our patients. However, we certainly never suggest that anecdotes are the rule and should guide treatment.

-Skip

Yes, some people like anecdotes. So, in that vein, I share this one with you:

Unmatched Graduate: “Med Schools to Blame”

There are no guarantees in life. There are odds/risks and, then there is individual outcome.

Anecdotes mean nothing. In medicine we apply population studies to individual treatment... and sometimes that's not the best thing for our patients. However, we certainly never suggest that anecdotes are the rule and should guide treatment.

-Skip

Caribbean Medical schools are not medicine my friend; they are a business. That's where you're leading the sheep astray.

Caribbean Medical schools are not medicine my friend; they are a business. That's where you're leading the sheep astray.

What? That statement has nothing to do with anything. You completely missed the point. Did you even read the link? Maybe your lack of reading comprehension skills is why you failed out.

-Skip

And, I thought you were ignoring me.

#idlethreats

-Skip

What? That statement has nothing to do with anything. You completely missed the point. Did you even read the link? Maybe your lack of reading comprehension skills is why you failed out.

-Skip

Skip, I don't know why I keep having to correct you on this but NOBODY failed out of anything. I would appreciate it if you stop referring to me as having "failed out." You're true colors are coming out. I am disappointed in you.

And I'll say it again for good measure...when you went to med school, smartphones didn't even exist. Times have changed.