Chances for MD/PhD, School List, and what I should focus on

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

javascript

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So my stats are:

Non URM
Bioengineering and Compsci double major at top 10 school (currently Senior year)
3.9 GPA
520 MCAT
Research: 3 years
Did basic bio research at the NIH's summer program my first summer
The rest of my research has been computational research with profs at my school
Publications: Eh I'm getting some mid co-authors this upcoming semester but so far I've only got co-authors in a review paper from a while back. Really hoping to double down and focus on research this last semester+summer.
Gap year: Masters program (still waiting to hear back from some of these), hopefully 1 year
Volunteering: Around 100 hours of hospital volunteering
Shadowing: Haven't done it yet, but I do think this could be important
Clinical Experience: Is this different from shadowing? I don't even know tbh...

Overall, I think my stats are solid but my ECs are a little lacking.

Some of the questions I have are:
1) Am I a good candidate for MSTP?
2) How many should I apply to? And should I apply to some MD programs for "safety" as well (safety meaning I'm still quite certain about wanting to pursue the path of physician scientist, but willing to go to med -> then PhD separately since MDPhDs are so much more competitive than regular MDs)
3) What are some good target schools for me to look into?
4) What should I focus on with the time I have before primaries this June and then apps over the summer? Should I prioritize service, clinical time, or just continue to focus on my research?

Members don't see this ad.

1) Am I a good candidate for MSTP?
2) How many should I apply to? And should I apply to some MD programs for "safety" as well (safety meaning I'm still quite certain about wanting to pursue the path of physician scientist, but willing to go to med -> then PhD separately since MDPhDs are so much more competitive than regular MDs)
3) What are some good target schools for me to look into?
4) What should I focus on with the time I have before primaries this June and then apps over the summer? Should I prioritize service, clinical time, or just continue to focus on my research?

Did you read my FAQ in the sticky?

Reactions: 1 user
Did you read my FAQ in the sticky?
Hi just read it,

New to this thread, sorry!

I guess to clarify the question it would be more about asking for suggestions that anyone might have for what I should really work on based on my background.

Members don't see this ad :)
You seem good on your science background (publications are not as important as you may assume. I have none but have 7 MDPhD interviews) but I would round yourself out a bit in terms of your clinical side. Many of the MDPhD programs will have a portion of the interview/consideration in which the interviewer/committee member is a representative of the MD-only admissions. Those interviews seem to focus on the more traditional considerations (volunteering, shadowing, etc) so it's probably best to not abandon those EC's.

But I'm also just an undergrad right now so if anyone out there has more/better things to say please correct me!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Just to second what is above, shadowing/clinical volunteering are not really important to MD/PhD adcoms, but you should still have at least made some effort. Whereas the quality and quantity will be scrutinized by MD adcoms, my sense is that MD/PhD adcoms are looking more to see that these boxes have been checked. It would be foolish to leave a small box unchecked, especially given how strong your app is overall.

You may end up aligning your thesis research with your PhD and therefore your choice of where to apply. Therefore, if you go to a strong research school and/or one with a lot of freedom in choosing a thesis topic, IME that would help you while increasing your candidacy.

Last edited:
From what I can see, your application looks like an incredibly strong graduate school app, but you really haven't done much to demonstrate your interest in medicine. MDPhD committees may care less about shadowing/clinical experience, but they do still care, and you still need to be able to answer "why medicine?".

I would strongly suggest shadowing/clinical experience (especially physician-scientists) so you can get a feel for what the day-to-day is actually like and really have a good answer for why you need to be a doctor as well, and not "just" a researcher.