Chances for an Irish School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cheddaranime

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what my chances are for an Irish Medical School. I am an American Citizen living in New York. I am considering applying to the 5 year and 4 Year programs.

I double majored in Biology and Psychology with a minor in Neuroscience. My cGPA is a 3.3 and my sciGPA is 3.0. I just took the MCAT and scored 495. I self Identify as Male and Caucasian.

I have Loads of extra curricular actives:
1) Volunteer on an Ambulance (650+hours)
a) I have also been an officer for said agency (upper leadership) for 2 years
2) Shadowed a physician (300+ Hours)
3) American Heart Association CPR instructor (100+ hours)
4) American Cancer Society's Colleges against Cancer chapter on my campus
a) I have been on the Executive board for this club for 3 years
5) Minority Association of Pre-Medical Students
a) I have been an Executive Board for 2 years.
6) I am a research assistant in a lab studying host adaptation to HIV/SIV (100 + hours)
a) I have done 2 poster presentations at conferences
7) Due to my research my institution has made me an Undergraduate Research Ambassador

I am hoping the holistic approach to applications will help my chances.

Thank you for any advice you can give!

Members don't see this ad.

TBH, your GPA and MCAT are a bit low. But if you don't wanna retake the MCAT, you can just send in an app to ABP. There's nothing to lose except the app fees.

Your GPA is within the lower range of competitiveness for Irish Schools but your MCAT is way too low. And from what I have seen, Irish schools are very MCAT heavy. A 495 is a 33% percentile mark. You have to retake the MCAT if you want any chance for admission. You need to aim for roughly at least a ~508.

I finalised high school with IB score of 41 out of 45. Applied with ABP to Irish medical schools. Could anyone advice my chances?