Chances for acceptance into Atlantic Bridge from Canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CurveballfromCanada

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm considering applying to the 5 and 6 year programs offered through the Atlantic Bridge at the end of this academic year. I'm currently in the first year of a Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree in Toronto. Going by my midterm results (which I know aren't much to go on, but for now they're all I've got), I'm aiming for a GPA of ~3.5. I'm currently enrolled in 7 courses but unfortunately none of them are general biology of chemistry (I'm taking mandatory A&P and nutrition, as well as a liberal elective in genetics).

For extracurricular activities I've been volunteering at a nursing home for one year now (~100 hours). By the time I'm applying I'd like to have closer to 200 hours. I'm also trying to get some shadowing experience with a GP. At the end of this year I should be able to get letters of recommendation from 3 of my professors.

I don't know if they'll care about my high school marks since I'm already in university. My marks for the high school prereqs (although I doubt they'd care about them) are: chemistry: 95%, biology: 96%, calculus: 91%, English: 80%.

Unfortunately I didn't take any AP or IB exams or awards or scholarships from high school. I wasn't a great student in high school, and I took the high school Biology, Chemistry, and Calculus prereqs for my undergrad independently through a distance education provider. I was working at the time, saving up the money so I could go back to school. I guess I'm a reinvention student; once I realized I wanted to pursue medicine I started to get my act together.

For anyone with experience with the Atlantic Bridge program, does it look like I have a competitive application (assuming I get the 3.5 GPA, physician shadowing, and letters of recommendation)? Even more importantly: what can I do to improve it? Any help is appreciated, thank you for reading. And to all other pre-meds, whoever you are, wherever you are, best of luck with your applications. When I started to get my act together two and a half years ago, I never thought I'd even make it this far. If this is what you really want, don't let anything hold you back.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
this forum is for questions regarding entry into US medical schools. I'll move this to the general international forum for you.
Thank you, I apologize for getting the forum wrong. Your understanding is much appreciated. I removed the reference to OzTrek, could you move this to the UK and Ireland forum? If I want to ask about OzTrek in the future, I'll start a more specific thread in the Oceania forum.