Chances at these peds programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dextor2003

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I spoke with my peds advisor about programs I should look into, or where I might be competitive, but she wasn't too sure about programs outside the southeast area. Frieda doesn't seem to be helping too much since most schools list a very broad range of scores. Was hoping to get some more feedback here if that's okay. Also, if there are specific schools I should drop from or add to my list, I'd really appreciate the input. I have a feeling it's too top heavy right now, but I'm just not sure what other places to add. I just want to be in a big city.

Step 1/2: 220/250

The programs I'm considering so far:
UT Houston, TCH, Minnesota, Mass Gen, Colorado, U Kentucky, Einstein, Emory, UAB, Vanderbilt, CHLA, Mayo, Miami Children's, Hopkins All Children's (FL), Jackson Memorial, Phoenix Children's, UC Irvine, UCSD, USC, UT Southwestern, Children's National, Children's Hospital Michigan, Cincinnati Children's, Rush, Tulane, MCW, UTSA, U Rochester, U Florida, Cleveland Clinic, NYU, Tufts, Georgetown

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What are you looking for in a program? There are 199 peds programs, and providing some idea of what you're looking for will help narrow things down. Do you care more about location than anything else? What do you consider a 'big city?' Size of the program? Special interests (global health, basic science research, etc)? Long term goals? Where are you in school?

Most peds programs don't care so much about your individual scores as long as they're not so low they'd be worried about you failing boards... they care about what's on the rest of your application and fit in the program itself.

What are you looking for in a program? There are 199 peds programs, and providing some idea of what you're looking for will help narrow things down. Do you care more about location than anything else? What do you consider a 'big city?' Size of the program? Special interests (global health, basic science research, etc)? Long term goals? Where are you in school?

Most peds programs don't care so much about your individual scores as long as they're not so low they'd be worried about you failing boards... they care about what's on the rest of your application and fit in the program itself.

Fair enough. I'd like to be in a metropolis like Boston, Chicago, Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, Miami, etc. I'd prefer a program that with a stand-alone children's hospital, though it's not an absolute requirement. I'd like to be in a medium to large sized program (12+ PGY1s). I'm interested in global health and ID and would love to eventually work abroad part time. I go to school in GA. Happy to PM additional details if it helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
Miami - if you do not speak Spanish or like the Spanish culture forget about applying there. I did an AI there in their NICU and while it was great, you could really have a disadvantage if you do not speak Spanish as the majority of their patients, nurses, staff, and physicians all speak Spanish. Also, they only allow you to take vacation in 2 week blocks or a full 4 weeks. It is made that way because they have a lot of international residents. The cost of living is very high. That being said - I still love Miami and I am originally from there. My parent still live there and I visit all the time, but I would never move back. They do not have a good public transportation system and the traffic is a nightmare. I would put Miami Children's over Jackson Memorial because it is a stand alone. As far as the other Florida programs, you would have no problem getting interviews there. All Children's is still newish and when I interviewed there they were doing things differently with making intern year all inpatient with second year all outpatient which made no sense to me. UF is always a solid program, but Gainesville is a small college town.

I spoke with my peds advisor about programs I should look into, or where I might be competitive, but she wasn't too sure about programs outside the southeast area. Frieda doesn't seem to be helping too much since most schools list a very broad range of scores. Was hoping to get some more feedback here if that's okay. Also, if there are specific schools I should drop from or add to my list, I'd really appreciate the input. I have a feeling it's too top heavy right now, but I'm just not sure what other places to add. I just want to be in a big city.

UT Houston, TCH, Minnesota, Mass Gen, Colorado, U Kentucky, Einstein, Emory, UAB, Vanderbilt, CHLA, Mayo, Miami Children's, Hopkins All Children's (FL), Jackson Memorial, Phoenix Children's, UC Irvine, UCSD, USC, UT Southwestern, Children's National, Children's Hospital Michigan, Cincinnati Children's, Rush, Tulane, MCW, UTSA, U Rochester, U Florida, Cleveland Clinic, NYU, Tufts, Georgetown

In Florida you might look at the University of Florida/Orlando Health Pediatric Residency Program. Orlando would fit your desire for a a more urban environment over Gainesville. The program is at Arnold Palmer Hospital for Children and the Winnie Palmer Hospital for Women and Babies. University of Florida also sponsors a pediatric residency in Jacksonville.

Miami - if you do not speak Spanish or like the Spanish culture forget about applying there. I did an AI there in their NICU and while it was great, you could really have a disadvantage if you do not speak Spanish as the majority of their patients, nurses, staff, and physicians all speak Spanish. Also, they only allow you to take vacation in 2 week blocks or a full 4 weeks. It is made that way because they have a lot of international residents. The cost of living is very high. That being said - I still love Miami and I am originally from there. My parent still live there and I visit all the time, but I would never move back. They do not have a good public transportation system and the traffic is a nightmare. I would put Miami Children's over Jackson Memorial because it is a stand alone. As far as the other Florida programs, you would have no problem getting interviews there. All Children's is still newish and when I interviewed there they were doing things differently with making intern year all inpatient with second year all outpatient which made no sense to me. UF is always a solid program, but Gainesville is a small college town.

Had no idea about this, good to know. Thank you!

In Florida you might look at the University of Florida/Orlando Health Pediatric Residency Program. Orlando would fit your desire for a a more urban environment over Gainesville. The program is at Arnold Palmer Hospital for Children and the Winnie Palmer Hospital for Women and Babies. University of Florida also sponsors a pediatric residency in Jacksonville.

I'll look into it, thank you!

Phoenix Children's is a very rigorous program with a new children's hospital. a large portion of their residents specialize. I've heard the residents are more "type A" than most pediatrics programs of similar situations (trying not to say gunner mentality...trying so hard). I think your Step 2 is in their range (and pretty much most Peds residencies), no Idea about step 1 range.

Phoenix Children's is a very rigorous program with a new children's hospital. a large portion of their residents specialize. I've heard the residents are more "type A" than most pediatrics programs of similar situations (trying not to say gunner mentality...trying so hard). I think your Step 2 is in their range (and pretty much most Peds residencies), no Idea about step 1 range.

Didn't know about that, thank you! I know a friend who matched in peds neuro there with 214 step 1, but that was also 2 years ago...and it's peds neuro, so I'm not sure if gen peds would be more or less competitive..

Chla cinci tch Vanderbilt are all reaches
Utsw children's national Emory and Einstein are less of reaches
You're more than good everywhere else on that list

Chla cinci tch Vanderbilt are all reaches
Utsw children's national Emory and Einstein are less of reaches
You're more than good everywhere else on that list

Thank you so much! Any thoughts on my chances at Columbia, Cornell, Rainbow Babies, Indiana, Children's Hospital Oakland, and Duke?