Chances at MSUCOM for 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thesportsdoc

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, so this is my second time applying, well I guess technically my first time applying within a reasonable timeline...anyways...I am Canadian, mcat is 508 (129/123/130/126), sgpa and gpa are both 3.4 (very strong upward trend, 2.6,2.7,3.6,4.0,4.0), great LORs (1 DO Neurologist who actually graduated from MSUCOM, orthopaedic surgeon, pharmacology prof, medical physics prof) and lots of great ECs...shadowing, volunteering (medical/non-medical), paid employment, sports, hobbies, etc.

I really want to go to MSUCOM for a variety of reasons, but mainly because of its location (opportunity to work with underserved and trauma patients) and proximity to my hometown.

Based off the aforementioned stats, do I have a strong chance at receiving an invitation to interview?
(Under the assumption my personal statement is well received of course)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all, so this is my second time applying, well I guess technically my first time applying within a reasonable timeline...anyways...I am Canadian, mcat is 508 (129/123/130/126), sgpa and gpa are both 3.4 (very strong upward trend, 2.6,2.7,3.6,4.0,4.0), great LORs (1 DO Neurologist who actually graduated from MSUCOM, orthopaedic surgeon, pharmacology prof, medical physics prof) and lots of great ECs...shadowing, volunteering (medical/non-medical), paid employment, sports, hobbies, etc.

I really want to go to MSUCOM for a variety of reasons, but mainly because of its location (opportunity to work with underserved and trauma patients) and proximity to my hometown.

Based off the aforementioned stats, do I have a strong chance at receiving an invitation to interview?
(Under the assumption my personal statement is well received of course)

What are my chances subsection bro. I'll bite though. 123 in cars might hurt, GPA is .2 below the median matriculation gpa but your upward trend is solid and they tend to look deeper than just the numbers. You probably have a great chance at at least an interview but I'm not sure how being Canadian might affect all of this.

See you next year broskiiiiiiiiiiiii

What are my chances subsection bro. I'll bite though. 123 in cars might hurt, GPA is .2 below the median matriculation gpa but your upward trend is solid and they tend to look deeper than just the numbers. You probably have a great chance at at least an interview but I'm not sure how being Canadian might affect all of this.

See you next year broskiiiiiiiiiiiii

Clearly I'm new to this lol...

Thanks for the feedback though! The reason I specified citizenship is because I was told by a current student at MSUCOM (M3) that the Canadian students they accept have pretty high stats...so I was wondering if they would hold me to a higher standard.
Anyways, I hoping by applying hella early this upcoming cycle (I submitted the primary mid-november, and secondary mid-december...) I'll be given a lot more interviews.

Hahaha sounds good fam!

Members don't see this ad :)
MSUCOM is literally the only US medical school where being a Canadian might actually be an advantage. They allocate 25 seats to Canadians each year and let's just say I've met some Canadians I was not so fond of during my interview there. FYI - I'm Canadian.

Reactions: 1 user
Clearly I'm new to this lol...

Thanks for the feedback though! The reason I specified citizenship is because I was told by a current student at MSUCOM (M3) that the Canadian students they accept have pretty high stats...so I was wondering if they would hold me to a higher standard.
Anyways, I hoping by applying hella early this upcoming cycle (I submitted the primary mid-november, and secondary mid-december...) I'll be given a lot more interviews.

Hahaha sounds good fam!

Hi there. I'm a Canadian who was accepted into MSUCOM this cycle. I have a similar MCAT score as yours and my undergrad GPA is 3.65 (with a strong upward trend as well) and my grad GPA is 3.85. I would not consider these to be "high stats", just "above average". I think you have a chance.

Sounds like you have a solid application. Our Canadian students do tend to be some of the strongest in the program, but I would just say to apply early (particularly important with so few seats reserved) and see what happens. Best of luck! :)

Hey guys!

I know that sometimes current MSU COM students lurk these forums and offer advice so I thought Id ask. I got a 501 MCAT (chm/phys-126, cars-123, bio-124, psych-128), I am applying really early, I have a cumulative non-science GPA of 3.94 and a science GPA of 3.39. I am a MI resident and I know they favor that a lot. My letters of rec are from a MD doctor, a medical ethics professor, and my supervisor that I was an instructor for for 3 semesters. I do have other letters of rec but they're not as strong so I dont want to include them- including my research advisor, science professor, and the dean. I really don't want to retake my MCAT but i also don't want to miss my chances of missing this cycle. my extra curriculars are good, I mean I didn't find the cure for cancer and get published but definitely have clinical experience, shadowing, research, and A LOT of leadership. I saw that their average mcat is a 504 and I feel like you can get into some MD schools with that number so idk how accurate it is. Any insight? Thanks in advance!

Hey guys!

I know that sometimes current MSU COM students lurk these forums and offer advice so I thought Id ask. I got a 501 MCAT (chm/phys-126, cars-123, bio-124, psych-128), I am applying really early, I have a cumulative non-science GPA of 3.94 and a science GPA of 3.39. I am a MI resident and I know they favor that a lot. My letters of rec are from a MD doctor, a medical ethics professor, and my supervisor that I was an instructor for for 3 semesters. I do have other letters of rec but they're not as strong so I dont want to include them- including my research advisor, science professor, and the dean. I really don't want to retake my MCAT but i also don't want to miss my chances of missing this cycle. my extra curriculars are good, I mean I didn't find the cure for cancer and get published but definitely have clinical experience, shadowing, research, and A LOT of leadership. I saw that their average mcat is a 504 and I feel like you can get into some MD schools with that number so idk how accurate it is. Any insight? Thanks in advance!
MSU tends to be a bit more rigid on MCAT scores than they are on GPA. Your GPA is pretty good , though, and -- for my old MCAT brain -- I believe that corresponds to a 26-27. Not a death sentence but not something that stands out. I think you have a decent chance since everything else sounds pretty thoroughly good. Applying early is pretty important! No guarantees but I would expect you to be modestly competitive.

MSU tends to be a bit more rigid on MCAT scores than they are on GPA. Your GPA is pretty good , though, and -- for my old MCAT brain -- I believe that corresponds to a 26-27. Not a death sentence but not something that stands out. I think you have a decent chance since everything else sounds pretty thoroughly good. Applying early is pretty important! No guarantees but I would expect you to be modestly competitive.

Thank you for the reply! My MCAT is 54th percentile just for reference, but what's strange to me is that I used to think DO schools are a bit more forgiving when it came to MCAT but i guess not since their average is a 504 and MSU CHM's average is a 505.

Just a heads up. I know a lot of Canadians that apply to MSUCOM. This school, with the dollar conversion, is really expensive. Make sure you have your finances in order as I know some banks not willing to give loans (sometimes need 2) for this school. Not to scare you. Just so you are aware of this ahead of time.

Does it make sense to appy witha 3.6/3.5 and 501. How many OOS do they take?

Hello is there an official MSUCOM 2017-2018 page this year?