Chances at medical school?asian with unique circumstances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dreamcatcher12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
(Stats are based on AMCAS calculation)
BCPM: 2.58
AO: 3.28
Total: 2.88
MCAT: September
Non-trad, Asian, 28 years old, immigrant, no research. Plenty of clinical experiences, shadowing, and underserved related volunteering(low-income clinic, soup kitchen, ..).

->My father passed away during my junior year, I was working full time as a factory worker so I had to pick up another job to help support the family (mom with disability and 2 younger brothers). ---->As the result, my grades have been dropping since then.
->I have 18 credit hours left to graduate but was denied financial aid due to excessive hours.
->took 2 years of school off to work on a new job that increased my household income substantially. Planning to come back Spring 2018 to finish my degree.
->I'd done many odd jobs including door to door sales, running food stand at festivals, etc to keep the family staying afloat. I had my fair shares dealing with low-income population, having come from one myself, and managed to bring my income from 25k to close to 6 figures this year. I can continue my career but my calling is in medicine.

Questions:
-Should I take the September MCAT and apply to DO schools even though I'm fairly late in the cycle?
-Should I include my circumstances in the personal statement? Does adcoms care about your life achievement or just strictly academically?

Thanks everyone

Members don't see this ad.

-Should I take the September MCAT and apply to DO schools even though I'm fairly late in the cycle?

No. High stat people sometimes make the DO cut if they apply late in the cycle, but that's not realistic for you. 2.58 is itself problematic at any point during the application cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you'll need an SMP. That's the only way I see it happening for you. Adcoms definitely care about life situations, but right now they can't differentiate you from someone who isn't capable of surviving medical school that had a tough life situation. I would also wait to take the MCAT (I think some SMPs may have you take it, but could be mixing them up with post-Baccs) until you're absolutely sure and have good practice tests, because your academic record doesn't convince me you learned much from your classes. Maybe some of the adcoms that know more about the differences between organizational post-Baccs and SMPs can chime in and advise you.

1. finish current degree with as close to, if not, 4.0
2. take a few years (3+) and work; put money away, chase life, do things; you've earned that really doing all you have for family
3. decide then if you still want to become a doc

The thing is that the ugrad GPA and post bacc GPA get put on different lines. A 2018 GPA and a 2022 GPA look like a big time lapse where the old 2018 GPA might be the 2.x, the 2022 GPA could be a 4.0... yes, on AMCAS they get lumped together for overall but they are also separated as well (different trends for people to look at).

Couple that new GPA with a fancy good MCAT score, lots of volunteering (already doing - keep it up) and then it's a different picture. However, pushing that bus now down the med school road?

I don't know that it will end the way you want it to.

Very sorry to hear of your troubles. But as of right now, you have yet to demonstrate that you can handle med school. IF you are 100% ready for the MCAT, take it and get it outof the way, and I think that you'd be better off waiting for the spring exam go around, and while start on your reinvention.

-Should I include my circumstances in the personal statement? Does adcoms care about your life achievement or just strictly academically?
We care about the road traveled, but first and foremost, you need to show that you can handle a med school curriculum. In your case, you have to write your PS in a way that doesn't focus on your bad choice making. In hindsight, you should have dropped out of school when you lost your dad, and not gone back until ready.

You need to ace either a DIY post-bac, or SMP.
Read this:

Reactions: 1 user
What is your cGPA and sGPA based on AACOMAS' calculation method? I think you should focus your effort and energy towards getting into a DO school. It will be faster and easier compared to the MD route. I would not apply until you raise your AACOMAS cGPA and sGPA to =>3.00. That means, you need to take more classes after graduating (post-bac) and make straight A's. Don't take the MCAT yet. Your score may end up expiring when it's time to apply. You should only take the MCAT after having shown sustained academic progress in a post-bac.

Take the Mcat now. Get it out of the way. Then just work to better the gpa. Lots of schools will except a three year old score. But with low grades, it's hard to apply anywhere. Also, don't just do DO if you actually don't love it.
But at the end of the day, there are schools that will give you a chance. Hop on msar and find schools that accept low gpas or have feeder programs. Don't give up if this is really what you want to do. Do your best, and good luck

I'll be the voice of reason here my friend. I had much higher stats than you. I made an appointment to speak with the Associate Dean of Admissions at my state school years ago. He took one look at my transcript and basically said "no chance in hell" until I was able to demonstrate "EXCELLENCE." I had some interesting life experiences and that dude did not want to hear it. He actually was getting out of his chair and ushering me out of the room as I was still asking questions. Quite rude but it told me all I needed to know about admissions to US programs. He was quite friendly at the open house but once he saw those stats, it's as if I didn't exist.

Numbers game man. The process is rigged from start to finish IMO and rewards those with access to programs and such that allow them to put together the numbers.

If I were you I would do one of two things.

1. Do what they call a "180" as it relates to academics.
2. AT 28 years old, honestly find another career where you can start making money and accumulating wealth right away.

There's no money in primary care if you feel you might end up there anyway.

FYI - OP has not been seen since the post...