chances as an fmg

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lgrabowi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an MSIII who is very interested in Urology, but I am nervous about my chances of matching this time around. i am an Fmg, but an American citizen, and so far my only exposure to urology has been abroad. I am planning on doing away electives starting in July, but now i am concerned that i should take a year off to do research.

I got a 260 on my step 1, honors in all of my clerkships, except for a high pass in psychiatry, top 5 percent of my class, have research but not specifically in urology with an independent project, an abstract and poster presentation so far, a case report and presentation, and currently trying to work on a small project in urology, but abroad. any advice as to whether i have a shot at matching as an fmg or is it essential that i take a year off to do research?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Your resume/stats sound pretty good. The only really big thing to hold you back is that you're an FMG. Your best shot of matching is to impress a program during a 4-week away rotation. I would pick your always at mid/lower tier programs. I know that sounds bad, but I'm trying to be realistic. I don't know if a year of research would be of great benefit as opposed to doing a prelim surgery year and then trying to make a really strong impression as an intern to that programs urology department. You will have no problem getting a prelim surgery position. Nice thing about that is that even if you don't end up getting a urology position, you can jump right into a pgy-2 position in rads, anesthesia, gen surg, etc. spots also do open up at that level for surgical specialties although they are much rarer.

Bottom line: be a really strong sub-I at 2-4 away rotation urology programs and apply for prelim surgery as a back up. Keep the doors open because urology as an FMG is very difficult.

Best of luck

Your resume/stats sound pretty good. The only really big thing to hold you back is that you're an FMG. Your best shot of matching is to impress a program during a 4-week away rotation. I would pick your always at mid/lower tier programs. I know that sounds bad, but I'm trying to be realistic. I don't know if a year of research would be of great benefit as opposed to doing a prelim surgery year and then trying to make a really strong impression as an intern to that programs urology department. You will have no problem getting a prelim surgery position. Nice thing about that is that even if you don't end up getting a urology position, you can jump right into a pgy-2 position in rads, anesthesia, gen surg, etc. spots also do open up at that level for surgical specialties although they are much rarer.

Bottom line: be a really strong sub-I at 2-4 away rotation urology programs and apply for prelim surgery as a back up. Keep the doors open because urology as an FMG is very difficult.

Best of luck

Agree with this. Strong performance at away rotations is your best, maybe only, shot. Extremely difficult to match in uro as an FMG. It's pretty tough even as an american grad. Would also start planning now for what your backup plan will be, as not matching is a strong possibility. Not trying to be negative, but better to hear the truth rather than 'follow your dreams' in this scenario.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your honest input. There have been several people in the past from my school who matched in Urology, but i understand why you would be so negative. any suggestions on rotations that might be more open to accepting an FMG? also, what are your thoughts on applying to internal medicine as a backup plan? i know it seems strange but i wouldn't want to do general surgery unless it helped get me into Urology.

I hope you realize that all urology programs start with 1-2 years of general surgery before starting urology residency training. My urology program is 5 years long..... 1 year general surgery followed by 4 years urology. 6 year programs can either be 2 years general surgery plus 4 Urology, OR 1 year gen surgery plus 4 years Urology plus 1 year research. If you can't see yourself doing a year of general surgery, then you can't and shouldn't be applying for urology. Not sure if you have done any urology rotations, but it is a surgical field and has hours similar to general surgery residency. Perhaps you should reconsider if you thought you were signing up for a 9-5 residency. Urology is more like 530-6am arrival and finishing no earlier than 5-6pm many times later

I can't imagine doing a year of IM would be worth it unless you would rather just do internal medicine. I highly doubt that would look good to urology programs you would be reapplying to and you wouldn't qualify to match into a pgy2 urology position if you do IM.

I don't know of any FMG friendly urology programs, I've never seen an applicant match at one. If people from your school have matched into urology, best to rotate at those programs and hope that the FMGs from your program have done well and not closed the door for you

I think IM is valid backup plan, as long as you plan on giving up on urology after 1 attempt. Chances at matching to uro from IM are basically nil. I know a couple people who applied IM and urology. They just weren't interested in general surgery as a career. After doing a year of gen surg, I understand why. While GU residency is as hard or harder than GS residency, your practice after urology will look a lot different.

thanks cpants, that was exactly my thought process. is it a problem to apply to IM and urology at the same institution? meaning, will it significantly affect my chances of matching in urology if programs see that i applied to IM at the same place as well?