Chance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smile matters

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. What are the chances with a 2.9 scienceGPA, 3.17GPA and 3.01BCP ? I can apply to around 12-15 schools
2. Do W's count as a F? I keep hearing both sides. Some say they don't count towards your GPA and some say it's an F.
I also don't want to retake the class I took a W in because I have other choices and because it's a lab it gets filled up really fast. Is it okay if I take another lab?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What are the chances with a 2.8-2.9 scienceGPA? I can apply to around 12-15 schools

I'm not sure anyone can give you the likelihood of your admission since dental schools look at your application as a whole, rather than just your GPA. This would include your work/volunteer/shadowing experience, DAT score, life experiences, etc.. Schools typically publish the average GPA of admitted applicants from year to year, so remember that that means some applicants were accepted with GPAs above, below, and even right at that given GPA value. In your case, an attainable target GPA would be in the 3.0-3.5 range. I'd say get your GPA up and do well on your DAT, while maintaining your extracurriculars. Hope you find this encouraging.

Reactions: 1 user
Overall GPA? DAT? so many variables. 2.9 science though is a rough place to start

Members don't see this ad :)
Overall GPA? DAT? so many variables. 2.9 science though is a rough place to start
3.17GPA
Not taken DAT yet..planing to take it june 22nd or july 7th
yea my science GPA is really low because I've taken a lot of upper level bio classes with really hard professors and it didn't really work out well. I am a bio major btw Idk if some schools would take major into consideration or not. I want to if I should take few summer classes which end around june 24th and then submit my application or submit early.

Yea so im gonna level with you, thats pretty low for the competition you are going up against. Most of the people applying are science majors and you cant exactly blame the difficulty of the professor through an application. I would apply if your overall is AT LEAST 3.3-3.4 and your sci is AT LEAST 3.2-3.3 with a DAT above 20. If you have any C's in pre-requisites retake them or do post-bacc. I know its probably not what you want to hear but Id rather tell you the truth in stead of having you waste thousand on applications for a slim chance at getting in.

1. What are the chances with a 2.8-2.9 scienceGPA? I can apply to around 12-15 schools
2. Do W's count as a F? I keep hearing both sides. Some say they don't count towards your GPA and some say it's an F.
I also don't want to retake the class I took a W in because I have other choices and because it's a lab it gets filled up really fast. Is it okay if I take another lab?

W's do NOT count as F's, and a couple on your transcript won't kill your chances. But if they are in a required course, you will have to retake it

From what I hear, a lot of schools have a cut-off of 3.0 for sGPA and cGPA. Your 2.8-2.9 might just get auo-rejected even with a stellar DAT, so at this point I'd say your chances are pretty much nonexistent (sorry for the bluntness)

But if you bring the sGPA to over 3.0, your cGPA to around a 3.3, and kill the DAT, I'd say you would have a reasonable shot if you applied broadly.

Reactions: 1 users
OP, I would not get my hopes up with your stats, to be brutally honest. If you have thousands of dollars at your disposal, I would apply. If not, I would find ways to increase your GPA.

I think I might still have a chance to improve my GPA before this cycle because this current semester if I get all A's then my sGPA would pass the 3.0 and oGPA would be around 3.2. My current semester grades count right? I might take some summer courses before I apply and get those grades in as well? Thank you guys for you opinions!

I think I might still have a chance to improve my GPA before this cycle because this current semester if I get all A's then my sGPA would pass the 3.0 and oGPA would be around 3.2. My current semester grades count right? I might take some summer courses before I apply and get those grades in as well? Thank you guys for you opinions!
Kill it this semester but you'll still need a masters unfortunately. You will get the acceptance one day

I know for a fact, a student with 5 W's has a WAY WAY WAY, better chance than a student with 5 C's or lower

Op what year are you in??

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

Op what year are you in??

I am currently a junior but considered a senior credit wise. I am graduating a semester early and if I don't get in this cycle, I might take few classes at my local university.

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on the rest of you application. Got accepted to two schools and waitlisted at one with a sub 3.1 oGPA and sub s2.9 GPA.

Depends on the rest of you application. Got accepted to two schools and waitlisted at one with a sub 3.1 oGPA and sub s2.9 GPA.
May i ask how many schools you have applied to and where you got accepted? Also what was yiur Dat?

what do you think in your application has made you stand out?

Last edited:
what do you think in your application has made you stand out?
DAT of 23 to begin with. Very sharp upward GPA trend, did an informal fifth year and was averagin 3.75 last 4 semesters. Felt very good about my PS, LORs. Leadership, volunteering, work experiences were all there as well in the hundreds, if not thousands of hours.

DAT of 23 to begin with. Very sharp upward GPA trend, did an informal fifth year and was averagin 3.75 last 4 semesters. Felt very good about my PS, LORs. Leadership, volunteering, work experiences were all there as well in the hundreds, if not thousands of hours.
Do you mind going over how you prepared for your dat?

Do you mind going over how you prepared for your dat?

Ton of very detailed guides in the DAT section of these forums, many that were written by someone who scored even better than me. I suggest you go search for those. You'll see a pattern of what materials people are using that are making them successful.

Someone with a GPA like that is obviously lazy or stupid, ADCOMS see right through it. They don't deserve admission to a dental school.
dinguses like you don't deserve to be in this profession, and I hope ADCOMs see right through you if you're lucky enough to get an interview

And people call me mean?
At least I am honest. You give false hope.
You aren't a mean person. I feel like you think you are entitled to many things in life but it's going to come right back around and bite you one day.
As far as for OP's case, it he can pull a 3.8 on his masters and kill the DAT, yes, he WILL get in. ADCOM's would drool over his comeback story from a 2.9 undergrad sGPA to competitive stats.

You aren't a mean person. I feel like you think you are entitled to many things in life but it's going to come right back around and bite you one day.
As far as for OP's case, it he can pull a 3.8 on his masters and kill the DAT, yes, he WILL get in. ADCOM's would drool over his comeback story from a 2.9 undergrad sGPA to competitive stats.
Sounds like you're the only one drooling over OP

Sounds like you're the only one drooling over OP
Maybe I am, maybe I am not. However, I'm here to support the polite members, not tear them down. Now that you have been "accepted" (maybe you're lying about that but who knows) to school and your true colors are out, it just goes to show the type of person you are.

Maybe I am, maybe I am not. However, I'm here to support the polite members, not tear them down. Now that you have been "accepted" (maybe you're lying about that but who knows) to school and your true colors are out, it just goes to show the type of person you are.
It does. It shows a person who's been accepted to school, will have no debt, and has a practice waiting for them.

Kisses!!! kthxbye