Chance at rads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chromuffin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got a 218 on step 1.. Hoping for diagnostic Rads. Charting outcomes are saying I'm fine, but does this mean I'm doomed to a community program?

I would love to be in the SW like Arizona or New Mexico. I hear the programs aren't super competitive but I'm concerned I am too doomed. FWIW, I was limited to only 12 days of dedicated for step 1. I mostly learn well in small settings and go to a very large school. Fortunately, rotations are small so I have been learning quickly in my first rotation.

Any insight would be great!

Members don't see this ad.

Very high percent match rate for Rads. If you work hard and apply broadly I'm sure you will match. There are many programs that don't fill each year. A more guarantee of this is to do well on Step 2 of course.

Reactions: 1 user
Very high percent match rate for Rads. If you work hard and apply broadly I'm sure you will match. There are many programs that don't fill each year. A more guarantee of this is to do well on Step 2 of course.
But like the OP said these would be community programs or "low tier" programs right? The ones not filling their spots?

Members don't see this ad :)
But like the OP said these would be community programs or "low tier" programs right? The ones not filling their spots?

I would say that is more likely, but a radiologist is a radiologist no matter where you train. If it is something you really want to do then that should be good enough. Looking on the FREIDA website gives you an idea of the average step 1 scores for programs. most seem to state 220-240, > 240. rarely have I seen some with a <220 mark. Just apply to a bunch of programs that you choose wisely and work your butt off for step 2 and you can make it happen I am sure.

DR applicant here. 236 Step 1 and 248 on Step 2. Echoing what others have already said, just apply very broadly and focus on absolutely crushing step 2. Last year the average Step 1 was a 240 and Step 2 was 248 for those who matched. But there are people who matched with much lower scores, obviously. Focus on doing well in your 3rd year.

Reactions: 1 user
Not sure what it is worth but I am a current 4th year applying to DR. The specialty is on the upswing this year (just check out the AAMC stats on applicants) so it likely to be even more competitive next year (all specialties tend to go up and down over time). With that being said, the step score just has to be a minimal number to get your foot in the door and after that the rest of your application plays a huge part. My step scores are good, but not 260 or anything and I have been getting way more interview invites to big name programs than a lot of people with a 260. Every interview so far they have mentioned my personal statement and background so I take it that played a huge part. So yes, crush step 2, but make sure you put a lot of time into that personal statement and making yourself a well rounded person...it goes a long way. Rads is super laid back when it comes to interviews also, no pimping. Just getting to know you. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users
I am a current MS1 considering DR. Would you mind sharing (or PMing) any advice? I have work in the field but no research done (yet).

Not sure what it is worth but I am a current 4th year applying to DR. The specialty is on the upswing this year (just check out the AAMC stats on applicants) so it likely to be even more competitive next year (all specialties tend to go up and down over time). With that being said, the step score just has to be a minimal number to get your foot in the door and after that the rest of your application plays a huge part. My step scores are good, but not 260 or anything and I have been getting way more interview invites to big name programs than a lot of people with a 260. Every interview so far they have mentioned my personal statement and background so I take it that played a huge part. So yes, crush step 2, but make sure you put a lot of time into that personal statement and making yourself a well rounded person...it goes a long way. Rads is super laid back when it comes to interviews also, no pimping. Just getting to know you. Good luck.