Certificate of good standing. HELP please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xresident

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi to everyone, my situation is this: I did 2 years and a half of residency training in the US. During the last year I had an issue with the program I was at and basically was forced to resigned after a probation period. The faculty was divided as most of the attendings were on my favor to continue but the chairman was not. I end up in peaceful terms, shake hands and leave with some good letters of recommendation. I am applying for a program in the UK and basically have all the requirements done, however on one of the paperforms regarding past work hx they ask if my medical registration was ever subject to conditions, undertakings or limitations overseas and if it was ever cancelled or suspended. They also ask for a certificate of good standing. My questions are:
1. Is being on probation and then resigning from the program counts as medical registration suspended/revoked or subject to conditions?
2. Who gives a certificate of good standing? The hospital you were at? or the state board that program belongs to?
Thank you very much for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

1. They are asking about your medical license itself. You should be able to answer no unless your license was suspended or restricted for some reason.

2. The medical licensing board in the state where you completed residency would provide the letter of good standing.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi to everyone, my situation is this: I did 2 years and a half of residency training in the US. During the last year I had an issue with the program I was at and basically was forced to resigned after a probation period. The faculty was divided as most of the attendings were on my favor to continue but the chairman was not. I end up in peaceful terms, shake hands and leave with some good letters of recommendation. I am applying for a program in the UK and basically have all the requirements done, however on one of the paperforms regarding past work hx they ask if my medical registration was ever subject to conditions, undertakings or limitations overseas and if it was ever cancelled or suspended. They also ask for a certificate of good standing. My questions are:
1. Is being on probation and then resigning from the program counts as medical registration suspended/revoked or subject to conditions?
2. Who gives a certificate of good standing? The hospital you were at? or the state board that program belongs to?
Thank you very much for your help.
1. I'm not sure and it will matter how it's phrased exactly.
2. It depends on what they ask for. This could be requesting a letter from the licensing board or this could be requesting a letter from the program director of your old program. Most of the time, they want both, but the phrasing matters here.

Thank you very much for the replies. What the board asks exactly is this, let me phrase it: 'Has your registration been subject to conditions, undertakings or limitations? Have you previously had your registration canceled, revoked or suspended?'
Anyone out there that can help me figure this out? Do you think I can get a certificate of good standing if I was on probation and eventually was forced to resign and resigned but leaved in peace?

I think
1) No
2) From previous program

I would get a lawyer. Not worth the headache. I am sure your applications are pretty expensive themselves that a thousand or so more would not hurt.

they want something from the medical board, not the hospitals you worked at. the GMC in the UK provides certificates of good standing for UK licensed docs who wish to practice elsewhere which is why they use that term. They need proof that you had no disciplinary actions from the medical board. And no, they aren't intereted in you being on probation in this case, only whether the licensing board too action against you.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you so much for the reply. I called the NJ medical board and they say they can't give me any certificate regarding my training permit. I didn't have a license in NJ, just a Medical Training Permit which is the step before getting a licence.
Has anyone ever ask their residency program for a certificate of good standing? The tricky part is that I've been on probation and eventually resigned from that program.
I will call the UK board and ask them on Monday, if its ok if my program issues a letter, until then any further input is greatly appreciated, thanks a lot.

I agree with calling the UK board. Tell them the NJ medical board only provides certificates of good standing for permanent license holders and see what they say.

Reactions: 1 users