Categorical vs prelim

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anna Filaxis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this has been discussed several times and I understand the difference between the two. However, say I get an interview for a prelim spot where I also applied categorical. Does this mean I am not being considered for the categorical spot? Furthermore, is there any chance I could be considered for the categorical position after I interview for the prelim spot? I have already scheduled several interviews for categorical positions for smaller/community programs but recently got invites for prelim at very competitive programs. I am considering not even going the prelim route because I just want to match into categorical at this point and not have to worry about reapplying. Is this a bad strategy?

Members don't see this ad.

if they offer you an interview for a prelim spot, then you are being considered for a prelim spot. i suppose they could change their minds but i doubt it. the only way to know would be to ask them. prelim/categorical are two different rankings in the match so you could rank it for both and see what happens. depending on the type of applicant you are, it may not be a bad idea to use the prelim spot as a plan B...rank it as the last spot with all the categorical spots ahead of it. ymmv