[deleted]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RapidEyeMovementLearning

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
[deleted]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Is that true about the interview?? I am going to apply to the program!

I just received my initial acceptance email, but I'm not sure if that's the official acceptance email because they said the graduate school will send another email with the link to accept/decline the offer.
My stats are:
3.2 overall gpa; 3.1 sgpa; 505 mcat

I've read in older threads that the class size was close to 120, but I don't know if those are the official numbers

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats all on your acceptance. I am finishing the first year in the program. My matriculating class is almost 180, but I heard about 30-40ish are online with the rest of us here on site. Looking at every year, the program seems to keep growing in both size and resources as they receive more and more money!

Don't worry if you haven't heard back in time, just check in with the grad school or the login you get to see if the "second" acceptance is in. If you don't hear back contacting Dr. Romani was very helpful for me and even just the grad school program itself.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

@kyleekyle I think they took about 3 weeks to send me an email

@DetectiveGrayson Can you describe your experiences in the program so far -- like course load, general competition/atmosphere among students, if the advisers are helpful, if it's easy to get involved in research or hospital work, and just general life in the Cleveland area. Sorry if that's a lot of area to cover, but I would really appreciate your insight.

Reactions: 1 user
My experience has been a mixed bag of emotions with mostly a pleasant/satisfactory feeling of being in the right place for my goals. By mixed, I mostly mean that it's been sort of stressful in my own personal life balance and perception. Grad school is definitely no walk in the park, and you'll likely spend the first semester finding your flow, strengths and weaknesses, limits, etc. It'll teach you a lot about yourself. The program moves extremely fast, with them throwing more information than you've ever probably taken in and,truly, without a whole lot of time. Solid time management is paramount to your success in the program along with your grit! You will mostly definitely be stressed but if a medical professional career is your true passion, than you'll be able to manage it at the end of the day. Just take each day as it comes. The first year will be the hardest year so expect that. In general, I'm very pleased as I expected the caliber of teaching from a prestigious school like Case Med Grad. It's a ton of work, but I feel like I will be light years prepared (as compared to my future non-MS 1st year med school cohorts) since this grad program's physiology can dramatically change the way you think, scientifically.

The atmosphere is NOT competitive and they make that actually known during orientation; nor is the grading system set up in such a way. They WANT you to succeed, and although they don't make it easy, they generally want you to earn your As and show med schools that you can handle them. My class is huge, so I've only befriended a handful of ppl and they've become my small study group which is critical in this program IMO.

You're assigned an academic adviser. Mine is helpful in many ways (helping me navigate each block and it's nuances), and in some ways he's not. Between talking to ppl, sounds like every adviser is just a different person and it's hit or miss depending on what you want out of an adviser. In the end, I do listen to my adviser but choose what's going to best for me.

In re: to extracurricular, I actually haven't dipped into it yet. I was going to this semester, but honestly the work load keeps me so busy I'm going to concentrate on my grades and wait until my second less-busy year to tap into it (essentially you have the range to do what you need to do). There isn't an intuitive system for finding an opp per se, but Case is ground zero for medicine plus we regularly have MDs/research doctors come in and talk to us for lectures. I'd say it would be fairly easy to connect with anyone after class (and they usually drop their emails) and grab an opp. There also seems be a known "tell 'em you're a Graduate Med Phys student" advantage thing with the medical professionals here, so that supposedly helps.

Not sure where you're from @ep2017 but depending on what you're use to, Cleveland could be anything! I come from the Pacific Northwest so to me it was sort of polarizing to be here at first. I've definitely acclimated in some ways but in reality I couldn't see myself staying here beyond this program or the function of it or for anything outside the possibility of going to its med school. The city isn't unbearable of course, but I just really miss my home and it's more "culturally-welcoming" spirit. I live right in the heart of the neighborhoods near Case and love my area but beyond that, there isn't much curb appeal to this old looking city. Though in pockets the city is really trying to come alive in this century.

If you have any other (specific) questions feel free to PM me! I'm glad to help and give you some insight :)

Last edited:
My experience has been a mixed bag of emotions with mostly a pleasant/satisfactory feeling of being in the right place for my goals. By mixed, I mostly mean that it's been sort of stressful in my own personal life balance and perception. Grad school is definitely no walk in the park, and you'll likely spend the first semester finding your flow, strengths and weaknesses, limits, etc. It'll teach you a lot about yourself. The program moves extremely fast, with them throwing more information than you've ever probably taken in and,truly, without a whole lot of time. Solid time management is paramount to your success in the program along with your grit! You will mostly definitely be stressed but if a medical professional career is your true passion, than you'll be able to manage it at the end of the day. Just take each day as it comes. The first year will be the hardest year so expect that. In general, I'm very pleased as I expected the caliber of teaching from a prestigious school like Case Med Grad. It's a ton of work, but I feel like I will be light years prepared (as compared to my future non-MS 1st year med school cohorts) since this grad program's physiology can dramatically change the way you think, scientifically.

The atmosphere is NOT competitive and they make that actually known during orientation; nor is the grading system set up in such a way. They WANT you to succeed, and although they don't make it easy, they generally want you to earn your As and show med schools that you can handle them. My class is huge, so I've only befriended a handful of ppl and they've become my small study group which is critical in this program IMO.

You're assigned an academic adviser. Mine is helpful in many ways (helping me navigate each block and it's nuances), and in some ways he's not. Between talking to ppl, sounds like every adviser is just a different person and it's hit or miss depending on what you want out of an adviser. In the end, I do listen to my adviser but choose what's going to best for me.

In re: to extracurricular, I actually haven't dipped into it yet. I was going to this semester, but honestly the work load keeps me so busy I'm going to concentrate on my grades and wait until my second less-busy year to tap into it (essentially you have the range to do what you need to do). There isn't an intuitive system for finding an opp per se, but Case is ground zero for medicine plus we regularly have MDs/research doctors come in and talk to us for lectures. I'd say it would be fairly easy to connect with anyone after class (and they usually drop their emails) and grab an opp. There also seems be a known "tell 'em you're a Graduate Med Phys student" advantage thing with the medical professionals here, so that supposedly helps.

Not sure where you're from @ep2017 but depending on what you're use to, Cleveland could be anything! I come from the Pacific Northwest so to me it was sort of polarizing to be here at first. I've definitely acclimated in some ways but in reality I couldn't see myself staying here beyond this program or the function of it or for anything outside the possibility of going to its med school. The city isn't unbearable of course, but I just really miss my home and it's more "culturally-welcoming" spirit. I live right in the heart of the neighborhoods near Case and love my area but beyond that, there isn't much curb appeal to this old looking city. Though in pockets the city is really trying to come alive in this century.

If you have any other (specific) questions feel free to PM me! I'm glad to help and give you some insight :)

Thanks for the info! I will definitely PM you

Hey guys! I submitted my app on 2/23 and it was marked complete on 3/3. Now I'm just anxiously waiting to hear back, although I have been reading that the turnaround time is pretty quick.

Last edited:
Hey everyone! I submitted my application on 03/02 and hasn't been marked yet. I have heard so many good things about this program that I cannot wait to hear back from them and hopefully gain acceptance! Is anyone planning on going to the open house next month?
My stats are 3.2 cgpa / 3.4 sgpa / 504 mcat

Accepted! Waiting on a few more schools but i'm really excited about this program :)

Just got accepted yesterday! I am definitely enrolling in the program!
Good luck to all those waiting to hear back.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if they offer mcat prep?

Reactions: 1 users
Just committed to the program! I am excited to get to know the class.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got accepted yesterday! I'm so excited! I'm still waiting to hear back from a few other places, but this one is definitely high up on my list. I've heard great things about this program, but honestly, I'm from Cleveland and, though I love my hometown, I'm not 100% sure I'm ready to move back.

Accepted! Waiting on a few more schools but i'm really excited about this program :)

Just got accepted yesterday! I am definitely enrolling in the program!
Good luck to all those waiting to hear back
what were your stats if you dont mind sharing? and where else did you apply?? i appreciate it!!!

Hey everyone! I submitted my application on 03/02 and hasn't been marked yet. I have heard so many good things about this program that I cannot wait to hear back from them and hopefully gain acceptance! Is anyone planning on going to the open house next month?
My stats are 3.2 cgpa / 3.4 sgpa / 504 mcat
What all have you heard?

Sent from my MHA-L29 using SDN mobile

Just so you all know, after speaking to the director the was very blunt, but nice! He said ~ 50% if the students got into a medical school last year. (We didn't talk about other professional programs so I'm pretty sure overall there are way more than half getting into some program) He said only 2 or 3 students from the Masters program get into Case Western b/c it's really competitive and case weighs heavy on undergrad GPA.

I thought would share this. It sort of made me think twice because I know for sure my undergrad GPA is not competitive. But he said it's still possible for me to get in to their school if I do well.

What all have you heard?

A week ago I emailed Dr. Nosek asking about my application and he forwarded it to Benjamin Reece. Friday 17th Benjamin emailed me saying that my application was forwarded to the committee and I haven't heard anything more up to this date. I am a little worried because everyone has said they got back to them quickly but perhaps they are just processing more applications at this point in the cycle.

Just so you all know, after speaking to the director the was very blunt, but nice! He said ~ 50% if the students got into a medical school last year. (We didn't talk about other professional programs so I'm pretty sure overall there are way more than half getting into some program) He said only 2 or 3 students from the Masters program get into Case Western b/c it's really competitive and case weighs heavy on undergrad GPA.

I thought would share this. It sort of made me think twice because I know for sure my undergrad GPA is not competitive. But he said it's still possible for me to get in to their school if I do well.

That is worrisome. I want to do this program to improve my credentials and chances of admission to med school but if undergraduate gpa would still get me screened out then it makes me doubt if the program is worth it or not...

Have you considered other programs?

That is worrisome. I want to do this program to improve my credentials and chances of admission to med school but if undergraduate gpa would still get me screened out then it makes me doubt if the program is worth it or not...

Yeah it definitely kinda made me think for second. And yeah I have been. I got accepted to another Masters program at William Carey.

But part of me wants to do a Masters at an MD granting school. But it seems like their numbers aren't that high of ppl getting into medical school

Sent from my MHA-L29 using SDN mobile app

He did say U Miami focuses mainly on grad course work so many of their students get into U Miami medical school but, if that's you probably don't have to go to such a prestigious masters program. More likely going some where that is accredited and is a solid school (and a program where you can shine and get as close to a 4.0 as possible) will get you in. His answers to my question lead me to believe that some people may struggle in this program. Not sure though.

Current MS student here, feel free to ask questions if you've got any.

Current MS student here, feel free to ask questions if you've got any.

Is this program do-able to be able to get a 3.5+? Only 50% of the students getting into medical school is a bit worrying

It's definitely doable! But, you have to be able to put in the hours to do the work. Over half of my class had an A average at the end of last semester, so performing well is within reach.

I've stalked SDN my whole college career and finally decided to create an account after applying to this program lol. Anyway, I submitted my application on 03/16/17 and it was updated to "Under Review" shortly after...Still haven't heard anything back but emailed Dr. Romani on this past Tuesday and was told I would hear from them soon either way. Hopefully soon meant in the next week or so. I graduate in four weeks and would really like to know where I will be spending the next phase of my life lol. Good luck to everyone applying!

It's definitely doable! But, you have to be able to put in the hours to do the work. Over half of my class had an A average at the end of last semester, so performing well is within reach.

A average in all of their classes?

I know the big thing about Masters programs is that low standardized tests are mostly what hold people back from progressing. I'm wondering how you all handle MCAT studies and the master program.

@Kojo90 I can't speak to the MCAT, as I'm not prepping for that. There are MCAT sessions, though, which I believe start pretty early in the fall semester.

The A average is only in reference to the core courses. We aren't told how many people choose to take more than the core classes during the first year. It's highly encouraged to not take any electives, but I know of a few who did/are, and even though they're pretty much studying all the time it seems like they're doing well.

@Kojo90 I can't speak to the MCAT, as I'm not prepping for that. There are MCAT sessions, though, which I believe start pretty early in the fall semester.

The A average is only in reference to the core courses. We aren't told how many people choose to take more than the core classes during the first year. It's highly encouraged to not take any electives, but I know of a few who did/are, and even though they're pretty much studying all the time it seems like they're doing well.

Nice, so for the core courses for the first year, how many courses is that? We can Pm if you want to as to not clog up the thread.

Current 2nd year here! The first years have definitely been accurate, there's good and bad parts to the program. One thing I want to make clear though: if you are doing this program to get into Case, this program should not be your priority. The only people I know who made it had exceptional scores or should have made it to MD schools on their own accord.

Overall, it definitely helped me and many of my friends get into medical school. Let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks for the offer! Can you speak a little about how people study for the MCAT while in the program?

Sure! Since your first year is so rigorous, few people study during the school year. You will take your NBME shelf exam in May. I took the MCAT in June, and because I was already focused and in the studying zone, it was very easy to transition and become very productive until my test date. It showed in my score.

Now, some people studied over winter break and took it in January and came out fine. but they didnt really get a chance to unwind after first semester or relax during break. I would suggest taking the test after your first year, as you will have all the knowledge you need at that point. Some people also take it during the second year, but they typically apply a cycle later.

After emailing Dr. Romani yesterday (my application status still had not been updated and I was really concerned) I learned that I have been accepted to this program :) I am excited and definitely plan to attend. Good Luck to everyone else still waiting to hear back!

Current 2nd year here! The first years have definitely been accurate, there's good and bad parts to the program. One thing I want to make clear though: if you are doing this program to get into Case, this program should not be your priority. The only people I know who made it had exceptional scores or should have made it to MD schools on their own accord.

Overall, it definitely helped me and many of my friends get into medical school. Let me know if you have any questions!

How much money did you budget for the first year? I've looked around and Case said it'd be around 46k a year including living expenses. As someone that is in the program, do you think that's a fair estimate?

I am also applying to this program, but I will have to wait until June to complete my application and I'm kind of scared I won't get in because I am applying so late and I have a very low MCAT but I do have a somewhat competitive GPA

Last edited:
I am also applying to this program, but I will have to wait until June to complete my application and I'm kind of scared I won't get in because I am applying so late and I have a very low MCAT but I do have a somewhat competitive GPA
I think you will be fine. A good GPA means you can retake MCAT and be good to go.

Sure! Since your first year is so rigorous, few people study during the school year. You will take your NBME shelf exam in May. I took the MCAT in June, and because I was already focused and in the studying zone, it was very easy to transition and become very productive until my test date. It showed in my score.

Now, some people studied over winter break and took it in January and came out fine. but they didnt really get a chance to unwind after first semester or relax during break. I would suggest taking the test after your first year, as you will have all the knowledge you need at that point. Some people also take it during the second year, but they typically apply a cycle later.

Hi, I just enrolled for the Case Western Master's program yesterday but I know for sure I need to take my MCAT again. I realize that the material from the program helps on certain aspects of the MCAT, but how did you keep up with the rest of the material that is on the MCAT to take it only a month after the first year of the program was over? I just am worried about keeping a huge gap between studying the materials from this summer to next and I don't want to lose touch on the material. Thanks in advance!

Has anyone considered being an online student in this program?

Got in yesterday!

Still fighting with myself over this program and others (Drexel IMS, BU-MAMS, Tufts MBS). I'd preferably apply this cycle for matriculation Fall 2018 to medical school, any one here hear/have any experience with how well of a jumping mat CWRU MSMP is for that?

I already have a year of post-bacc work and a stellar MCAT so not sure the two-year would be necessary for me. However, of all the programs if I did have to take a 2nd year I'm most interested in CWRU's.

I spoke to Benjamin Reece and he told me to wait to take the mcat again.. He said after you complete the program you will be more prepared for the MCAT.

Last edited:
I spoke to Benjamin Reece and he told me to wait to take the mcat again.. He said after you complete the program you will be more prepared for the MCAT. So I'm taking the gre later this month instead of the MCAT.. I recently heard/applied for this program, fingers crossed.

I didn't do very well on the MCAT (just got my score back), but the rest of my application is fine. Will that hurt my chances? Should I just take the GRE instead??

I made the tough decision of rescinding my offer. Hopefully someone on the waitlist will be able to get my spot now though!

I didn't do very well on the MCAT (just got my score back), but the rest of my application is fine. Will that hurt my chances? Should I just take the GRE instead??

That's what I'm planning to do.. Scheduled for tomorrow... I spoke to someone and they told me that a decision will most likely be made before I get my gre score back so idk if it's a point of taking it besides the money wasted.... The gre won't hurt you though and they do take it into consideration..

Edit:
I think you should wait to inform them of your score until you get a decision. It'll just prolong the process...

Just out of curiosity, what led you to choose other programs?
It truly was a tough decision, and under different circumstances I would've taken the offer, but it came down to a number of reasons.

I chose Drexel IMS over CRWU MSMP because:

1) It's closer to home
2) Tuition is much cheaper
3) It's a one-year program
4) You take actual medical school courses.

In my case this is how I see it. If I was planning to apply to medical schools next summer, I would've taken the CWRU program. The course work and available research opportunities were both very appealing to me. You also get an MS in Physiology, which is great if you maybe decide medicine isn't right for you because now you have opportunities of getting a job as a physiologist and have a jumping pad towards a PhD or some other field.

I, however, am attempting at this cycle. The Drexel IMS program would give me the best shot of getting in this cycle because it has a very heavy fall semester for schools to be updated on and they're all medical school courses. You also get a guaranteed interview with Drexel University College of Medicine if you make certain cut-offs. Word of warning though, this guaranteed interview is far from an acceptance.

In my case I have a very solid MCAT, ECs, and post-bacc work and don't think I need two years to get into medical school. I'm pretty confident that with my background if I get a 3.7+ in this program I'd have a very fair shot at DUCOM. In the chance that I don't get in anywhere this cycle, I think course wise the Drexel IMS program will have my application looking spiffy and I'll just go into (hopefully paid, because I can't live otherwise) full-time research next year.

For clarification my stats are:
cGPA = 2.7 (It's bad)
Post-Bacc = 3.9 (7 UDV BIO courses)
MCAT = 523

My undergraduate GPA is horrendous, which is why I want a program that's associated with a school I'd actually have a chance of getting into with my remediation. I would most certainly not get into CWRU unless I completed 1 or 2 years of their program and then applied, and even then would be a reach. And while CWRU is an excellent school, I'd rather have the shot of getting in somewhere sooner and cheaper. A US-MD school is a US-MD school.

NOTE: I got into this program with my old 29 MCAT (11 BS, 8 PS, 10 VR) in case anyone was wondering. This is equivalent to a 505-506 on the new scale, however my Biological Science section is more equivalent to a 512-513 which I imagine this program probably cares more about.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone! Really excited to have joined sdn. I was recently sent an email saying I was accepted at Case, but it also said that the graduate school would send the official acceptance letter. Does anyone know how long it takes for that to happen and whether the acceptance is conditional on the graduate committee? Trying to decide between two schools but I have a deadline and I don't know how long I can wait :/

Hi there! I was recently accepted into this program for Fall 2017. I am wondering whether this program has made students competitive for specifically MD schools? For those who are currently in the program, if you were to go back and make the decision again, would you choose to attend CWRU?

M.S. graduate here who is applying to med schools this cycle. If you have questions, please let me know. :)

M.S. graduate here who is applying to med schools this cycle. If you have questions, please let me know. :)

Hey, thanks for offering to answer questions. I appreciate it!

I'm wondering if you'd be willing to (1) share the reasons you chose to attend a Masters program before applying med school, (2) if you think Case's MSMP program has given you what you were looking for, and (3) if you would not recommend the program for any reason.

Thanks in advance!