Case Western Master's in Medical Physiology 2015-2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am aiming for DO schools, so I was hoping to get good guidance from advisors, letters of recommendations, and ample shadowing experiences while showing I can do upper level coursework. Is this possible with this program?

Yes 100%. Here is a list of schools that people have been accepted to from the program:

https://physiology.case.edu/educati...-ms-in-medical-physiology/msmp-our-successes/

Many DO schools.

Members don't see this ad.

This is something I wrote up in last years thread:

I have enjoyed the program a lot so far. I'm impressed with Case and the institutional culture here. It's academically intense but also very laid-back. I absolutely feel that it's preparing me for my career goal (which is medical school). I have learned so much this year; not just scientifically speaking, but how to study more effectively, how to think more clinically, how to take exams. The advising is good. Some problems with premed advising as a whole is that every student is different and everyone you talk to tells you something different. I think that at Case they do a good job of trying to individualize the advising and help you to make a plan that is unique to your given situation. You get an academic and career advisor. Also, I haven't come across a faculty member that wasn't willing to meet and offer advice. It's a collaborative environment for sure, and you get the sense that the faculty truly want us to succeed. Our success is their success, and that's how it should be.

Probably the only downside to the program I can think of is that compared with other SMPs out there it is not a simulation of the first year of medical school. However, this is also positive because you really get to focus on physiology and make sure that you know it cold. Also, it opens up the door for you to take elective courses and tailor your degree towards what you specifically need/want to accomplish. Starting next year they are introducing "areas of concentration" that will allow you to specialize in given area of physiology. One example that people may find interesting is the neuroscience one, in which you do a clinical rotation through neurology with the 3rd year med students at Case. Also, having a somewhat lighter course load than some SMPs allows you to get involved in clinical and research opportunities (which are bountiful here in Cleveland).

Reactions: 1 user
I did the program in one year, took histology + lab first semester, and embryology alongside the independent study during my second semester.

Timeline? I've applied three times, haha. I applied once before the program ('10/11), once in the year following finishing it ('12/13) and finally got in this cycle ('14/15). There were some other issues with my app beyond academics, but the Masters was a great way to boost my GPA and illustrate my candidacy. Its definitely not a walk in the park, particularly taking the shelf exam (if they're still using it).

Still using the shelf exam!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for your responses! I'm attending the program this fall and found these to be very reaffirming of my decision to attend. :)

No problem. I really think that if you make the most out of the program that it can make a big difference. Dr. Nosek speaks about the "hidden curriculum" (taking advantage of all the opportunity here in CLE). Make sure to do that. Take it seriously just like you take studying seriously. During the core courses you will be in class for only a few hours a day at most. You have so much time to study and have other experiences. I personally did clinical research, and also found time to do a lot of things for myself that I enjoy as well. I did about as well as you could in the program... so it's doable. Everything in life depends on your perspective. Some people will never be satisfied, but I believe this program offers you the platform to succeed.

PM if you want to talk about the specifics of approaching the program when you arrive in CLE. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, @brootas14 completed the program in 1 year and has written about the experience earlier in the thread. However, from what I've heard, it is EXTREMELY tough and the CWRU faculty recommends against it.

Btw, is there a facebook group?

In my class, very few people did this. It's totally doable but it is just a lot of work...like a ton of work. The main reason not to do it is that you wont have time for anything else. A big part of what makes this program good is that you have time and opportunity to build your application. Getting into med school is a marathon, we must be patient and make the right moves. Many people doing these programs made the WRONG moves previously, so now is the time to slow down, evaluate what is best (even if not ideal) and make sure to do what it takes.

To any former students, how difficult is it to get strong letters of recommendation from professors/advisors? I have heard mixed things about this because there are a lot of guest lecturers.

Not hard at all. You get a committee letter from the program. If you want to get individual letters there is nothing stopping you from developing the relationships needed to do that. You can also take elective courses that have one professor that you get to know well. Also, there are many lecturers but there are several that you will see multiple times.

Recent graduate of this program checking in. I'm applying to medical school this cycle. Happy to answer any questions! Ask away. I'm still in Cleveland also if anyone wants to speak in person let me know, I'd be happy to meet up to discuss the program if you plan to attend I can give you great advice on how to succeed.
I have tons of questions, but I think some of the most important ones for me are: What do you like the most about the program? Do you feel like most people are happy at Case Western? How difficult is it to get research and/or clinical volunteering opportunities? Do you feel like the professors are approachable? Thank you so much in advance! :)

Hey guys, I'm looking to apply soon to the program because it really interests me. Do any of you have advice on what to incorporate into the personal statement and really any general advice as well?

Hey guys, I'm looking to apply soon to the program because it really interests me. Do any of you have advice on what to incorporate into the personal statement and really any general advice as well?
I remember they told me to just use my med school PS (if you have one) and insert a final paragraph that explains how attending the program can benefit you with your ultimate goals and what you expect to achieve with the program. Other than that I think it helps to call and ask questions about the application, PS... And try to attend the open house if you have'nt already, this was definitely what sold me on the whole program!

I remember they told me to just use my med school PS (if you have one) and insert a final paragraph that explains how attending the program can benefit you with your ultimate goals and what you expect to achieve with the program. Other than that I think it helps to call and ask questions about the application, PS... And try to attend the open house if you have'nt already, this was definitely what sold me on the whole program!
Thank you!

I can't believe the Physiology Program lets those TAs (students like us but a semester ahead) craft the quizzes. They make it harder than the previous year so they could eliminate the competition. The program can really throw your grades in the sewer because those TAs are absolutely incompetent. The program directors arranged a "Retreat" at some Water Park Resort and created a panel for TAs to answer questions about getting into medical schools. Here's a thought, if I wanted to know more about getting into medical school, I'd rather ask someone who actually got into one, instead of some postbach student that happens to be one semester ahead. This program really ticks me off, and I'm hoping to transfer out. Not worth the high tuition tag. $30,000+ a semester (including room and board), no thank you. If you do this program, don't expect to leave in one year. It easily stretched into 2 years, that could easily cost you $120,000+. Is it worth it? I think not.

So when you say don't expect to leave in 1 year what do you mean? Does the administration force students to choose the 2-year plan? Also, is there anything beyond the TA's designing the quizzes that you see as a major detractor for you in this program?

Members don't see this ad :)
Megan Lerner really needs to learn to be more professional.
As bitter as you are, it's never appropriate to call out someones name in this manner on a website as public as this.

I can't believe the Physiology Program lets those TAs (students like us but a semester ahead) craft the quizzes.
Pretty weak point for me to make here but I'll make it anyway, but those TAs are actually a year ahead. You can't enter the program halfway through the year. And even if they are *only* a year ahead, they are quite competent in the opinions of most people in our program and are willing to help you.

They make it harder than the previous year so they could eliminate the competition.
Competition for what? Those TAs are mostly not even applying the same cycle as you. Do they have some evil deal going on with people in our cycle to sabotage us? Are they actually students in our class that are in disguise as TAs?? I guess the mystery continues???

The program can really throw your grades in the sewer because those TAs are absolutely incompetent.
The quizzes are not hard at all and even if they are, they're only worth 10% of your grade. ALSO, an 85% is a considered an A so even if you LITERALLY get zeros on every single quiz, you are more than capable of getting an A if you study. Also, are you expecting to rely SOLELY on the TAs to do well on exams? You have a textbook, you're given lecture slides online, and you can rewatch lectures online to your heart's content literally at any time you want to. If you're expecting to be just spoon fed knowledge throughout your whole career in medicine, then I have some shocking news for you: you're gonna have to put in work yourself, sorry to say.

The program directors arranged a "Retreat" at some Water Park Resort and created a panel for TAs to answer questions about getting into medical schools.
If you thought we went all the way to a resort just to listen to a single panel, then you sorely missed out on the whole point of the retreat. The retreat wasn't a "How to get into medical school" retreat. It was a retreat for the whole Department of Physiology and Biophysics and to give the researchers/PhD candidates a chance to showcase their research and generally see what's going on on the rest of our floor outside our lecture hall doors. The panel was literally less than an hour out of the whole time we were there, soooo I'm not sure what you were doing the rest of the time?? And what's so wrong about having a retreat at a resort? Is that some kind of big no-no for a medical school department?

Here's a thought, if I wanted to know more about getting into medical school, I'd rather ask someone who actually got into one, instead of some postbach student that happens to be one semester ahead.
Here's a thought, have you realized that these second years and TAs are already getting medical school interviews and such? Meanwhile, you're not and you're sitting online here and ranting about the program? And even if you do want to hold that viewpoint, do you realize that they're not your sole source of advice here? You're literally sitting inside the CWRU School of Medicine for lectures, have unrestricted access to the building and all it's offices, and are being taught by faculty that love their job and are more than willing to talk to you about any concerns you have about getting into medical school.

Not worth the high tuition tag. $30,000+ a semester (including room and board), no thank you.
I don't know where you got those figures, but you're severely over-exaggerating. I'd really like to think you are some privileged child of rich parents that somehow manages to rack up $30,000+ in expenses per semester, but I'll give you the benefit of a doubt.

If you do this program, don't expect to leave in one year.
If you're trying to just rush through the program in a single year, you're again missing the point (seems like a common theme here for you) of why they recommend 2 years. You're sitting in a Top 25 medical school, with research centers that make groundbreaking work all the time, with 3 top tier hospitals sitting within a few miles of you that you can shadow/volunteer at (in case you don't know them yet for some reason, it's University Hospital, Cleveland Clinic, and Metro Health). There's myriads of volunteering and research opportunities sitting right in front of you and yet you want to ignore all that and just buy the prestige of a CWRU SOM degree and get out of here in the minimum possible time. I mean, if you want to do that, then go ahead and be my guest. But also to answer Naomi's question above, the faculty are NOT forcing you to stay 2 years. And the department website clearly states that most people take 2 years to complete the program, so why are you acting surprised now?

It easily stretched into 2 years, that could easily cost you $120,000+.
If you're scared of an exaggerated $120,000+ price tag, I'm not sure what to tell you to assuage your fears about the eventual cost of going to medical school.

Is it worth it? I think not.
Hmm, it's the end of semester, our last block exam is in 4 days, it's an exam (written by professors, to clarify for others) so it's worth a big chunk of your grade, and you're venting about the program using baseless points. I wonder why?... To anyone else reading this person's rant, let those factors sink in for a moment before you think about accepting the possible validity of the points he/she makes. To you, DoctoringwithV, good luck on that last exam, buddy - sounds like you need it.

Recently accepted and looking forward to start the program! Planning to take advantage of the Research Assistant, 2 year track to help avoid tuition costs and continue research. Has anyone accomplished the master's thesis that is available through this program?

I will be attending this program this fall, even after talking to my adviser I never heard of this option. After visiting the school and talking to current students I plan on finishing up in the summer, but would be interested in doing research another year. Did you end up doing this track and if so how does it help curve tuition costs for you?

I will be attending this program this fall, even after talking to my adviser I never heard of this option. After visiting the school and talking to current students I plan on finishing up in the summer, but would be interested in doing research another year. Did you end up doing this track and if so how does it help curve tuition costs for you?
Tuition ended up being completely free because I landed a full time research position; love the program and couldn't be happier! The university has a tuition benefit system in place for its employees, so if you work full time (or even part time) you will get 6 credits worth of coursework for free. Thankfully, the Medical Physiology program has a specific track that helps students utilize this system. It is set up so that you could spread these 6 credits throughout two years (albeit you will have to take summer course work) and graduate without having to pay a single dollar. Even better, you are getting paid while doing it.

Reactions: 1 users
Tuition ended up being completely free because I landed a full time research position; love the program and couldn't be happier! The university has a tuition benefit system in place for its employees, so if you work full time (or even part time) you will get 6 credits worth of coursework for free. Thankfully, the Medical Physiology program has a specific track that helps students utilize this system. It is set up so that you could spread these 6 credits throughout two years (albeit you will have to take summer course work) and graduate without having to pay a single dollar. Even better, you are getting paid while doing it.
One thing I want to edit is that if you work part time you won't get the full 6 credits redeemed. I think it's 3 credits instead, but not sure.

Hi, I know that most of you guys would not have applied to medical school yet, but I was wondering if any of you have got into medical school. I could not find the 2014-2015 forum, so do you guys know if a lot of the students from the previous year got into medical school? Thanks!

Hi, I know that most of you guys would not have applied to medical school yet, but I was wondering if any of you have got into medical school. I could not find the 2014-2015 forum, so do you guys know if a lot of the students from the previous year got into medical school? Thanks!
This is N=1, but my friend did it from 2014-2015, applied summer 2015, and was accepted/starting medical school next week! I can PM you her stats and whatnot if you're curious.

This is N=1, but my friend did it from 2014-2015, applied summer 2015, and was accepted/starting medical school next week! I can PM you her stats and whatnot if you're curious.

That would be great. Can you send me her stats? Thank you so much!!!

Hi, I messaged you about this. Would you mind explaining a little more about this? Thanks!

I am currently applying to dental schools this cycle and wish to matriculate into a 1 year post-bac master's program starting in the fall. I want to finish the program preferably by June, since many dental schools start earlier than August. I have been accepted into Rutgers MBS and Case Western's MS in Medical Physiology programs and a few others but those two are my top choices.

A little about me: I went to GW (Biology major) and attended the Cal State East Bay Post Bac program last year and did well. I finished the program in 9 months/3 quarters. Some of the courses I took at the post-bac are: physiology, biochemistry- 1, 2, 3, genetics, neural development, microbial physiology and biochemistry, water and human health, and a few more.

I am doing this one year masters program so that if these are any doubts in terms of my grades, the admissions committee can look at my first semester grades and say, "okay she is fine."

I am not banking on either getting into Rutgers or Case's dental school, and more so banking on my state schools, so that is not a selection factor for me as neither as linked programs anyways. I am having trouble deciding between the two options.

Rutgers allows me to be certain in finishing the program by June, however I don't like that all of the classes have different start and end dates. I don't like that I have to compete for the dental school classes and would prefer to avoid the extra stress, however that is a very very small factor. I also know that I wouldn't be taking a lot of those courses, as I don't want to tank the GPA.

Case is a better school than Rutgers, however it seems the program is newer. I really like structure of the program with the 18 core classes, and that you can take basically an elective course you want that is a Case graduate class about 400 to fulfill the elective requirement. I need to take Anatomy as many of the dental schools I am applying to require it, and I feel that at Case, I can ensure I will get that class as an elective to fulfill that need. At Rutgers I didn't see anatomy as an option for a class to take from last years schedule of classes but maybe I missed it. I don't have the need to take the harder elective courses because I already did a post-bac and am a biology major. I can take things like independent study or lab research to fulfill them. They say this is a 2 year program and highly discourage finishing it in 1 year, but I don't need to work on extracurriculars as that is the strongest part of my app and I have ample activities already. I obviously will continue to volunteer maybe 2 hours a week at a dental clinic nearby, but nothing crazy.

I will have also finished taking the DAT this summer and all application materials will be in, so I won't have to spend time working on things like that while I do the master's program.

Do you think Case would be tough to finish in 1 year?

I graduated from this program. But, I'm a bit confused why you're going to this program. Why don't you just take the courses that you need at a local university instead?

I am currently applying to dental schools this cycle and wish to matriculate into a 1 year post-bac master's program starting in the fall. I want to finish the program preferably by June, since many dental schools start earlier than August. I have been accepted into Rutgers MBS and Case Western's MS in Medical Physiology programs and a few others but those two are my top choices.

A little about me: I went to GW (Biology major) and attended the Cal State East Bay Post Bac program last year and did well. I finished the program in 9 months/3 quarters. Some of the courses I took at the post-bac are: physiology, biochemistry- 1, 2, 3, genetics, neural development, microbial physiology and biochemistry, water and human health, and a few more.

I am doing this one year masters program so that if these are any doubts in terms of my grades, the admissions committee can look at my first semester grades and say, "okay she is fine."

I am not banking on either getting into Rutgers or Case's dental school, and more so banking on my state schools, so that is not a selection factor for me as neither as linked programs anyways. I am having trouble deciding between the two options.

Rutgers allows me to be certain in finishing the program by June, however I don't like that all of the classes have different start and end dates. I don't like that I have to compete for the dental school classes and would prefer to avoid the extra stress, however that is a very very small factor. I also know that I wouldn't be taking a lot of those courses, as I don't want to tank the GPA.

Case is a better school than Rutgers, however it seems the program is newer. I really like structure of the program with the 18 core classes, and that you can take basically an elective course you want that is a Case graduate class about 400 to fulfill the elective requirement. I need to take Anatomy as many of the dental schools I am applying to require it, and I feel that at Case, I can ensure I will get that class as an elective to fulfill that need. At Rutgers I didn't see anatomy as an option for a class to take from last years schedule of classes but maybe I missed it. I don't have the need to take the harder elective courses because I already did a post-bac and am a biology major. I can take things like independent study or lab research to fulfill them. They say this is a 2 year program and highly discourage finishing it in 1 year, but I don't need to work on extracurriculars as that is the strongest part of my app and I have ample activities already. I obviously will continue to volunteer maybe 2 hours a week at a dental clinic nearby, but nothing crazy.

I will have also finished taking the DAT this summer and all application materials will be in, so I won't have to spend time working on things like that while I do the master's program.

Do you think Case would be tough to finish in 1 year?

The "bang for your buck" so to speak at case is the extra curriculars (research, volunteer, etc..) not so much the curriculum. If you need a curriculum boost, your best bet would be to try another more established program. However, if you are looking for a curriculum boost WITH extra curriculars then case is your place.

In addition, finishing the program in one year would be tough. It is a lot of material in a relatively short period. As such, it is not recommended. However, it is do able and has been done. But again to stress, you get your worth from the extra curriculars. Speeding through the program could borderline be a waste if you do not get the results you would like.