Case Western Master's in Medical Physiology 2015-2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Glad I found this thread! I am an accepted student strongly considering the 1 yr accelerated route because I don't want to take more than a yr off of the medical school path. Please is there anyone that did it successfully??

Yes, @brootas14 completed the program in 1 year and has written about the experience earlier in the thread. However, from what I've heard, it is EXTREMELY tough and the CWRU faculty recommends against it.

Btw, is there a facebook group?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I just got accepted!!! Now I've got a tough decision to make between Case and Cincinnati.

For those curious: I completed my application on 5/20, and I was accepted on 5/28. Stats: 3.3cGPA, 3.0 sGPA, 33 MCAT (I didn't have a GRE score).

Last edited:
I just got accepted!!! Now I've got a tough decision to make between Case and Cincinnati.

For those curious: I completed my application on 5/20, and I was accepted on 5/28. Stats: 3.3cGPA, 3.0 sGPA, 33 MCAT (I didn't have a GRE score).
Congrats on your acceptance! :)

Also, does anyone know if one needs to send a deposit in order to secure your place in the class?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on your acceptance! :)

Also, does anyone know if one needs to send a deposit in order to secure your place in the class?

Oh shoot, that's a good question. I'm in the middle of emailing Ms. Davis some questions and I'll include that

Got the email back; no deposit required. Just send in an email.

Got the email back; no deposit required. Just send in an email.
Awesome, thanks for the info! By the way, do you know when the deadline is to notify the school whether you're attending or not?

Awesome, thanks for the info! By the way, do you know when the deadline is to notify the school whether you're attending or not?

I called and asked about this a few days ago. We have to let them know by June 15.

I have been accepted into the program. However, I have also been accepted into a similar program in Tennessee. Next week I am heading up to Cleveland to have a disucssion with Dr. Romani regarding the program. Are there any current students or alumni who can fill me in on how they feel about the program? Like I said, I'm meeting with Dr. Romani and a few current students next week to discuss the program to determine which option is best for me but I'd love as much input as possible! Thanks!

Did anyone go to the open house on Saturday? How was it?

Well I just got accepted, but hope to get offers from BU or GWU. If not, then coming here

To any former students, how difficult is it to get strong letters of recommendation from professors/advisors? I have heard mixed things about this because there are a lot of guest lecturers.

Members don't see this ad :)
I read somewhere that we got a committee letter from Case

Okay, is it hard to get in? I sent in my application on a whim on June 12th, accepted even though they didnt get all my recommendation letters a few days later. Kinda in a tough spot, because I think my MCAT scores expire on next year's cycle...

Okay, is it hard to get in? I sent in my application on a whim on June 12th, accepted even though they didnt get all my recommendation letters a few days later. Kinda in a tough spot, because I think my MCAT scores expire on next year's cycle...
That's odd. When I had missing letters of recommendation, my application was listed as incomplete and I received an email telling me they wanted my letters as soon as possible.

Hey guys, I've been accepted for Fall too but will likely request to defer for the year. I wasn't given much time since finding out a few days ago. I know it's probably unlikely but anyone know anything about the deferment process?

Don't everybody all answer at once lol. Deferment good to go now. Case, see you in a year!

I actually just graduated from this program. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

I actually just graduated from this program. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

I guess the obvious ones: did you like the program? Do you think it helped you? What would you recommend to students who are considering the program?

I guess the obvious ones: did you like the program? Do you think it helped you? What would you recommend to students who are considering the program?

The curriculum is great the first year. Second year, you have to find your own classes, which is a bit rough since there are so few classes for us to actually take. If you need to retake your MCAT, you have to find your own class. They only offer prep for the NBME. My academic advisor didn't really know much about the medical school process and my career advisor was also the program director, so he wasn't around much. Dr. Simonson is a great asset. Those who were his academic advisees probably got the most out of the program (research, shadowing, clinical research). A plus of the program is the clinicians that they bring in for the translational course. Those would be some of the easier options if you wanted to shadow a physician. But, you also have to remember that it's you plus at least 100 others (the program is extremely large for a Master's program), so be sure to get in quick with them. They don't have a direct linkage to the M.D. program, and the M.D. program isn't too friendly to us. The program does bring in medical schools to speak with us and set up times for us to speak with the admission counselors that do come in. There are pros and cons to the program, but my experience was great with the people and frustration with the administration. It just depends on your situation.

Reactions: 1 users
The curriculum is great the first year. Second year, you have to find your own classes, which is a bit rough since there are so few classes for us to actually take. If you need to retake your MCAT, you have to find your own class. They only offer prep for the NBME. My academic advisor didn't really know much about the medical school process and my career advisor was also the program director, so he wasn't around much. Dr. Simonson is a great asset. Those who were his academic advisees probably got the most out of the program (research, shadowing, clinical research). A plus of the program is the clinicians that they bring in for the translational course. Those would be some of the easier options if you wanted to shadow a physician. But, you also have to remember that it's you plus at least 100 others (the program is extremely large for a Master's program), so be sure to get in quick with them. They don't have a direct linkage to the M.D. program, and the M.D. program isn't too friendly to us. The program does bring in medical schools to speak with us and set up times for us to speak with the admission counselors that do come in. There are pros and cons to the program, but my experience was great with the people and frustration with the administration. It just depends on your situation.
Thank you for telling us about your experience! I have a couple of questions as well, if you don't mind answering. Did you or your classmates get accepted to medical school? And if so, where? What would be the best way to get research experience? Did you get strong letters of recommendations from the program?

Thank you for telling us about your experience! I have a couple of questions as well, if you don't mind answering. Did you or your classmates get accepted to medical school? And if so, where? What would be the best way to get research experience? Did you get strong letters of recommendations from the program?
I know of five of my classmates that got into medical school (out of a class of 90). Two are going to Albany Medical School and one is going to Columbia. Those are the ones that I can think of off the top of my head. The best way to get research experience would be through your academic advisor because most of them are researchers in the department. I only received a committee letter because that is all I asked for. It is difficult to get a strong letter of recommendation because you are not taught by a single professor and the professors do not design, distribute, or grade the exams. So, it is not as easy as it would have been to get to know them as it was your undergraduate professors.

I know of five of my classmates that got into medical school (out of a class of 90). Two are going to Albany Medical School and one is going to Columbia. Those are the ones that I can think of off the top of my head. The best way to get research experience would be through your academic advisor because most of them are researchers in the department. I only received a committee letter because that is all I asked for. It is difficult to get a strong letter of recommendation because you are not taught by a single professor and the professors do not design, distribute, or grade the exams. So, it is not as easy as it would have been to get to know them as it was your undergraduate professors.
That's rather discouraging to read, but again, thank you for all this invaluable information. Overall, were you and your classmates happy with this program or would you have gone elsewhere?

I was thinking of completing the program in one year but am not sure, is it easy to be flexible?
Did you do the program in one year, and if not, know anyone who did?
How difficult are the classes?
Was there a lot of competition with classmates?

That's rather discouraging to read, but again, thank you for all this invaluable information. Overall, were you and your classmates happy with this program or would you have gone elsewhere?
I don't mean to discourage, only to provide a different view from all the "it's an excellent program" that you'll get from the TAs and students you'll meet at the open houses. I can't speak for all of us, but I know many of us are now in a frustrating position of having to figure out yet another route into medical school.

I don't mean to discourage, only to provide a different view from all the "it's an excellent program" that you'll get from the TAs and students you'll meet at the open houses. I can't speak for all of us, but I know many of us are now in a frustrating position of having to figure out yet another route into medical school.
No, I know you're not trying to discourage. I thank you for your words because I don't want to be in the position of being thousands of dollars in debt with no medical school acceptance to show for it. I talked to other students through facebook and many of them seem happy overall, so I'm trying to get as many opinions as possible. If many of you did not get into medical school, then that is pretty terrifying. I thought Ohio medical schools would look favorably on students who did this program, especially if people became residents of Ohio. If this is too personal, you don't need to answer but...why do you think so many people from this program didn't get into medical school if it has a strong physiology curriculum and so many opportunities to do shadowing/research/clinical volunteering? I'm honestly perplexed.

No, I know you're not trying to discourage. I thank you for your words because I don't want to be in the position of being thousands of dollars in debt with no medical school acceptance to show for it. I talked to other students through facebook and many of them seem happy overall, so I'm trying to get as many opinions as possible. If many of you did not get into medical school, then that is pretty terrifying. I thought Ohio medical schools would look favorably on students who did this program, especially if people became residents of Ohio. If this is too personal, you don't need to answer but...why do you think so many people from this program didn't get into medical school if it has a strong physiology curriculum and so many opportunities to do shadowing/research/clinical volunteering? I'm honestly perplexed.

Even with the strong physiology curriculum, medical schools look first at your undergrad GPA and MCAT, then post-bacc, and then graduate GPA. This will not boost your undergrad GPA if that is what you're looking for. They speak of these shadowing/research/clinical volunteering. However, you are competing for a few spots with your classmates (the class size is growing each year. 90 when I entered, 120 last year), the Case undergrads, high school students of the surrounding area, and the medical students as well. I'm not sure how many people actually became Ohio residents though.

that's concerning...with everything that Case seems to be offering, why is it so hard for kids to get in? And when they say 85% success rate so far, are those students mostly going to "bad" medical schools?

hey guys, does anyone know about financial aid for this program? i really want to go but don't know if i can afford it and my acceptance letter says they don't offer aid

hey guys, does anyone know about financial aid for this program? i really want to go but don't know if i can afford it and my acceptance letter says they don't offer aid
I think by aid they mean scholarships. Most people in this program get loans.

that's concerning...with everything that Case seems to be offering, why is it so hard for kids to get in? And when they say 85% success rate so far, are those students mostly going to "bad" medical schools?
All aren't there to get into medical school. Some are dental, as well as PA. So, not everyone is going into medical school. And, I don't know what you mean by bad medical schools.

All aren't there to get into medical school. Some are dental, as well as PA. So, not everyone is going into medical school. And, I don't know what you mean by bad medical schools.

When you say that a lot of people are frustrated as far as finding another way to get into medical school...why is that?

When you say that a lot of people are frustrated as far as finding another way to get into medical school...why is that?
Because the way that the program was presented to us, many of us saw (including myself) saw it as a way to at least get our foot in the door at Case Western. Instead, it was slammed shut and they didn't want to have anything to do with us. Many of us relocated and quit jobs with the hope that the successful completion of this program would at the very least get us an interview at Case, if not other schools. But, now we're looking for a different way to the ultimate goal of becoming a physician. Like I said before though, I can't speak for all, but I can give you a different perspective than the one you'll get at the open houses. Ultimately, the decision to attend is your own.

I am aiming for DO schools, so I was hoping to get good guidance from advisors, letters of recommendations, and ample shadowing experiences while showing I can do upper level coursework. Is this possible with this program?

Because the way that the program was presented to us, many of us saw (including myself) saw it as a way to at least get our foot in the door at Case Western. Instead, it was slammed shut and they didn't want to have anything to do with us. Many of us relocated and quit jobs with the hope that the successful completion of this program would at the very least get us an interview at Case, if not other schools. But, now we're looking for a different way to the ultimate goal of becoming a physician. Like I said before though, I can't speak for all, but I can give you a different perspective than the one you'll get at the open houses. Ultimately, the decision to attend is your own.
How well did you perform in the program? Did you also take advantage of extracurricular activites like volunteer, shadow, research, etc.? From my understaning, completing the program is insufficient to get into any medical school and it is really up to the student to take advantage of the resources available in Cleveland and also excell in the course to really enhance your application.

How well did you perform in the program? Did you also take advantage of extracurricular activites like volunteer, shadow, research, etc.? From my understaning, completing the program is insufficient to get into any medical school and it is really up to the student to take advantage of the resources available in Cleveland and also excell in the course to really enhance your application.
I performed well in the program while working and shadowing. Research didn't interest me, so that I did not participate in. I went to grand rounds, along with many seminars (taking full advantage of the resources). I got A's in all my non-core classes except for one. And earned a B in the first semester of the program (I had a hard time adjusting to the new city, balancing school and work, along with the curriculum). But, pulled it together from that point on. It doesn't matter how well you do in the program if you are screened out by your undergraduate GPA/MCAT before human eyes reach your application to evaluate it with the holistic approach you may hope for. This is something I wish I would have known before attending the program because it is much cheaper to take courses at a local university than relocating to a different state to attend a private university. But, as I said before, the decision is ultimately yours to attend or not to. Take my experience/advice with a grain of salt.

I performed well in the program while working and shadowing. Research didn't interest me, so that I did not participate in. I went to grand rounds, along with many seminars (taking full advantage of the resources). I got A's in all my non-core classes except for one. And earned a B in the first semester of the program (I had a hard time adjusting to the new city, balancing school and work, along with the curriculum). But, pulled it together from that point on. It doesn't matter how well you do in the program if you are screened out by your undergraduate GPA/MCAT before human eyes reach your application to evaluate it with the holistic approach you may hope for. This is something I wish I would have known before attending the program because it is much cheaper to take courses at a local university than relocating to a different state to attend a private university. But, as I said before, the decision is ultimately yours to attend or not to. Take my experience/advice with a grain of salt.
I'm concerned about overcoming a weak UG GPA. I've been told that some medical schools consider graduate GPA over UG while others look at it just the opposite. Still others, from what I've read, look at both while viewing grade trends to make a decision. Do you know what schools look more heavily (if any) at graduate GPA? If you don't mind answering, what schools did you apply to? Any interviews?

I'm concerned about overcoming a weak UG GPA. I've been told that some medical schools consider graduate GPA over UG while others look at it just the opposite. Still others, from what I've read, look at both while viewing grade trends to make a decision. Do you know what schools look more heavily (if any) at graduate GPA? If you don't mind answering, what schools did you apply to? Any interviews?
Here is the list of schools that are friendly towards students who got a regular master's degree. All this info was found on this thread http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/grad-school-gpa-does-it-actually-matter.796298/

U Colorado - averages all grades together
U Virginia - averages uGPA and gGPA
Eastern Virginia Medical School
Virginia Commonwealth University - website specifically discusses applicants with weak GPAs pursuing a masters degree
uMich - averages u and gGPAs
Georgetown
Wayne State and UMDNJ might entirely replace uGPA
UMinnesota
UCentral Florida
Arizona (initially screened only with uGPA, but then postbac and grad GPA considered).
UCalifornia-Irvine-adds an additional point to your "score"
UConn-includes gGPA in their GPA calculation
Albany-"includes all coursework"
Columbia
OUWB
BU
Drexel
Hofstra
University of Pittsburgh
SUNY Upstate
St. Louis University
New York Medical College (especially for re-applicants)
Dartmouth
Northwestern University

Also, all DO schools (if I'm wrong, someone please correct me) include all coursework into your GPA.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Here is the list of schools that are friendly towards students who got a regular master's degree. All this info was found on this thread http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/grad-school-gpa-does-it-actually-matter.796298/

U Colorado - averages all grades together
U Virginia - averages uGPA and gGPA
Eastern Virginia Medical School
Virginia Commonwealth University - website specifically discusses applicants with weak GPAs pursuing a masters degree
uMich - averages u and gGPAs
Georgetown
Wayne State and UMDNJ might entirely replace uGPA
UMinnesota
UCentral Florida
Arizona (initially screened only with uGPA, but then postbac and grad GPA considered).
UCalifornia-Irvine-adds an additional point to your "score"
UConn-includes gGPA in their GPA calculation
Albany-"includes all coursework"
Columbia
OUWB
BU
Drexel
Hofstra
University of Pittsburgh
SUNY Upstate
St. Louis University
New York Medical College (especially for re-applicants)
Dartmouth
Northwestern University

Also, all DO schools (if I'm wrong, someone please correct me) include all coursework into your GPA.
Suddenly I don't feel so doomed. So many on this website post that a masters program is usesless and only viewed only as an extracurricular (which makes no sense to me personally). But I can see in the link you provided that this is not entirely true across the board. Thanks for your input. Much appreciated!

Anyone looking for housing? I cant quite tell what the best location is.

I'm going to copy and paste a comment made in the facebook page:

"Hi Guys, if you haven't found an apartment yet, there's still plenty of time. There are always apartments opening up in Coventry, University Circle, Little Italy, Cleveland Heights, Cedar-Fairmount, and downtown to name a few places. "

I just signed a lease for a 2BR apartment in Little Italy. It seems like a nice neighborhood and VERY close to campus. If you are able to visit Cleveland, I suggest you walk around Little Italy. There are tons of apartments with 'for rent' signs that aren't listed on craigslist or the Case 'ALOHA' website. I looked at maybe 10 apartments one day just by walking up and down the streets and calling numbers on the for rent signs. Most of the landlords lived in the neighborhood and immediately walked down the street to let me in and show me around the apartment. Hope this helps and good luck!

Does anyone know whether Case grants scholarships for this program? I read they have a payment plan, does anyone know what the plan entails? Aside from federal loans and random outside scholarships, I don't know if it's worth going out of state to Ohio when I've been accepted to Rutgers which is in state for me .
There are no scholarships available for the program. It is a private school so there would be no tuition hike for being out of state but tuition would probably be much greater than for a NJ resident going to Rutgers.

Was accepted and considering attending. Was wondering if anyone could off any insight.
Why did you attend this program verses others?
Is this program worth the cost?
Housing (any and ALL help lol)

Please and thanks!

Recent graduate of this program checking in. I'm applying to medical school this cycle. Happy to answer any questions! Ask away. I'm still in Cleveland also if anyone wants to speak in person let me know, I'd be happy to meet up to discuss the program if you plan to attend I can give you great advice on how to succeed.

Last edited:
Was accepted and considering attending. Was wondering if anyone could off any insight.
Why did you attend this program verses others?
Is this program worth the cost?
Housing (any and ALL help lol)

Please and thanks!

Reasons for choosing:
1. Case is an amazing school and has a top 20 medical school and huge teaching hospital attached to it.
2. I preferred the focus on physiology because it allows you to master that topic which is the basis for medical science.

Worth the cost:
That all depends on how much you value what the program has to offer. Will it help you get into medical school? Absolutely. Is that worth the cost? That is 100% up to you.

Best location: University Circle area and little italy
Other good location: Cleveland Heights, Shaker Square

Craigslist is your friend for housing.

Suddenly I don't feel so doomed. So many on this website post that a masters program is usesless and only viewed only as an extracurricular (which makes no sense to me personally). But I can see in the link you provided that this is not entirely true across the board. Thanks for your input. Much appreciated!

This is not really a "regular" masters degree. It is kind of a hybrid of an SMP and a traditional masters. Here is a list of schools that grads of the program have been accepted at:

https://physiology.case.edu/educati...-ms-in-medical-physiology/msmp-our-successes/

You can't fix a bad ug GPA you can only move on and keep going. If you feel that you can do well here then you shouldn't let it stop you.